CrO2 VS FeO2 tape differences

Dani Pace

Simply put, what is the difference between chrome and regular magnetic tape, other than the obvious use of different metal used in the tape. My concerns are, is either designed for high speed use? Which has the superior recording quality? Does one have better rerecordable abilities? If a machine says CrO2 will it be damaged by using FeO2 tape in it? I'm sure there is a difference, I'm just not sure what it is so help me out guys, thanks.

cro2 has a better high end responce. it is better sounding. you won't hurt anything by playing normal tapes in the player, it just won't sound as good because the bias isn't right.

The machine has to be set with the right bias current to get the most out of any tape. The only thing that will damage a tape deck is using 'metal' tapes in players that were not designed for it. Metal tapes have a harder oxide and will scratch a normal head.

If you record onto a CrO2 tape, using the Cr02 setting on that deck, and then play it back in the normal mode, you will hear an abnormal boost of high-end, which may be quite piercing. (or nice, if you want to use that as an auto EQ method for muddy-sounding recordings.)

As is, Cr02 particles move around more when they get high end recorded onto them, so the high end shows up more.

I have yet to hear a Fe02 cassette that didn't give me any noticable high-end dropouts after just 1-pass recording. Cr02 tapes can have the same problem of they're cheaply made. Only high-quality, new, few-pass Cr02 cassettes have given me consistent sound reproduction, in terms of fidelity and lack of dropouts.

Then again, I only use cassettes for my car. My problem was transferring my favorite CD's to cassette. I use a fairly decent RCA tape deck (no noticeable wow and flutter, and easy to adjust the speed.) I tested tape transfers using old maxell Fe02's, new maxell Fe02's, new maxell Cr02's, old sony Fe02's, and various other old tapes of various brands. Only the new Fe02 maxells gave an acceptable reproduction of my CD's.

I'm no expert, I just know what works for me may be different from what works for you. I have a ZZTop album on a standard Fe02 cassette that KICKS ASS. I've played it at least 200 times, and it's still as pure sounding as ever, so I know that Fe02 tapes still have their place. They just don't work for my recording needs.

-callie-

how do you know if you have a chrome cassette or a cr02 cassette

how do you know if you have a chrome cassette or a cr02 cassette - us there a way to look at it and tell the difference?

Any help would be appreciated!

Back