Crap. I can't tell if it's broken or not.

antispatula

So I finally rewired a mic cable today, and checked out my mx5050 8 track to see if it worked, in a simple way. All I did was plug in a mic into one of the inputs, and talked into it, to see if it made the VU meter for the designated track move at all. So track 1 worked, so did 2 and 3. 4 did not. On the back of the machined is a switch for INPUT levels, and OUTPUT levels. So I guess it's for switching between mic and line level. So I played with the INPUT switch, while talking into the mic. Nothing. Then I flipped the OUTPUT switch, and the track worked! Then I swithed that SAME switch back to where it was, where it was when it didn't work, and it STILL worked. It's as if I woke up the track or something!

So then 5 6 7 worked, and 8 didn't. I played around with it, and it started working! So then I went through all the track just to re check them. NOW track 6 and track 7 aren't working, and I can't get them too.

So basically, 4 and 8 didn't work. Now they do.

Now 6 and 7 aren't working, when just a few minutes ago, they were.

What in the world is going on?!

And as a side note, I don't know all that much about electronics and equipment, since I've only gotten into it a little bit ago. What my side question is this: What does one have to do to be able to understand how to fix things like this? Like fix equipment. Is it electronics knowledge? How does one teach himself?

Thanks so much!

Could be relays or dirty switch contacts. The MX5050 has known relay problems, as do a lot of other machines as they get older. You really need some kind of preamp or mixer to test it.

Teaching yourself electronics involves taking things apart and sometimes getting them back together, blowing fuses, shocking the hell out of yourself, smoking components, ruining perfectly good devices… lots of trial and error. I started doing that as a wee lad. A lifetime later I know what I'm doing.

It takes years unless you take a few college courses to jumpstart the process.

A word of caution -- If you want to make music and record be careful not to get drawn into the electronics side to deeply. As one who has worn many hats around the studio I can tell you it's hard to stay focused when you are able to do many tasks. Sometimes you have to say --"Yeah, I could do that but I'm going to let someone else do that."

You would be better off taking that machine in and having it brought up to speed. Learn how to maintain it from there. :)

Last edited:
Beck, that is a geat piece of advice!!

Clean the switches first, see if that fixes the problem. If not get it checked out by a pro then learn how to keep it good order from there

Hey guys, thanks for the head up.

So what are relays, and how do I uh.......check them? Fix them? You can see I am quite electronically illiterate right now.

And how do I clean the switches?

And how do I look up a technician? Can any tech help me, or do I need someone that specializes in reels? How much $$ do you think it'll cost?

You can get switch cleaner from any electrical suppliers. It comes in an aerosol can and comes with a straw so you can get right in there. The spray will clean out the crap from the switch casing, and will also lubricate the contacts.

Give all of your switches and pots a good going over with this stuff before you get too deep in the electronics

Beck said:
A word of caution -- If you want to make music and record be careful not to get drawn into the electronics side to deeply. As one who has worn many hats around the studio I can tell you it's hard to stay focused when you are able to do many tasks. Sometimes you have to say --"Yeah, I could do that but I'm going to let someone else do that."

AMEN! Its amazing how little music I've managed to record since I discovered the soldering iron.

antispatula said:
Hey guys, thanks for the head up.

So what are relays, and how do I uh.......check them? Fix them? You can see I am quite electronically illiterate right now.

And how do I clean the switches?

And how do I look up a technician? Can any tech help me, or do I need someone that specializes in reels? How much $$ do you think it'll cost?

Also check the level control pots on the meter bridge. If you have the MK III (the only one I'm familiar with) just remove four screws on the switch panel to get at those, and four screws on the meter panel to get at the pots. You can use Radio Shack Contact/Control Cleaner & Lubricant, part # 64-4315. Just spray a tiny amount in the level pots and turn each one through the full range about 20 times. Then do the same in each switch and toggle each switch several times.

Check below to find a technician. This a Tascam list, but most techs that service open reel machines can service any type. It can be costly. Tell them your problem and they'll give you an idea of cost.

http://www.tascam.com/service_centers.php

hey, thanks!

Woah! You know the part number of the lube from radioshack! Know what's ironic about my elecronics illiteravy? I WORK at an electronics store, formerly radioshack, until they cancelled our contract illegaly. We're in court with them......I've only been working there like 8 weeks though. But I'll get a little discount on the lube and spray.....yeepie!

So can I use that spray anywhere on/in the machine? I don't want to mess things up......

Back