Counter Burnout on Tascam 246

I turned my 246 on last night and while I was setting up the mic level for the first track I noticed that the LED tape counter isn't on. I didn't notice if it was lit up when I turned the machine on, but it's definitely not working. I turned the machine on and off a couple times and pressed the reset and TRT buttons corresponding to the counter but other than stupid things like that I'm confused here.

I took the face off and looked at the counter up close and I don't see anything except a slight black spot on the right corner of the glass, but I remember noticing that every time I've ever taken the face off before so I'm not thinking it burned out but maybe? I've never heard of that happening ever so...

I will post a pic if that will help but I was wondering if anyone has encountered this happening to a 246 or a 244, and what I should do. I have a parts machine with a working counter so I can attempt a swap but I've never done a job like that before and am a bit apprehensive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

It's always something eh?

Looks like that's a vacuum-fluorescent display. They usually have a black spot. If it's become white, that means that the vacuum has failed. I'm not honestly sure what the failure mode is for these things - it might be the display itself or it might be the support circuitry. AFAIK they don't have a heater like a normal valve, but they do have thin wires e.g. for the control grid which can burn up if overvolted.

This is a random shot in the dark, I'm at work and don't have time to watch videos:

YouTube

Thanks jp, I'll check out the video. Of all the things to fail on this thing, the counter was the last thing I expected. I've seen machines that have sat for 20 years in a dusty basement fire up with nothing but the counter lighting up, so I'm wondering if it's a loose or fried wire?

I don't have much confidence in my circuitry skills but this may end up being the thing that gets me started. I forgot to mention that the counter controls like RTZ still work so it's just the display.

Replaced the counter, along with the whole control board and compartment from my parts machine and got it lit up!

I know you were all losing sleep over this so I just wanted to let you know

Oh well, it would have been nice to know exactly which bit had failed, but glad you got it going anyway!

Me too, and I tried replacing the top pcb board but it didn't do the trick so I just replaced the whole thing. I've never had a counter fail like that and I hope it's the last time. I was so happy to get it working that I recorded a song that I'm really happy with, and then noticed that the red LED light that comes on when you press REC is now dead LOL.

I can live with that though, but there's something going on in there. Like I said, I don't have the equipment or experience to troubleshoot on circuits so I'm standing down. Thanks for your replies man

I do the “replace the whole board” thing too...... always with the intention of fixing the old one.... I just never get around to it.... but I still might..... :p

Back