Compressor Uses

bachelorb

Cowboy Chord Virtuoso
Firstly..... I realize these posts are all kinds of disjointed.... but having just finished a month of recording, I thought I’d better ask the questions while they are still fresh in my mind......
I really got into using the compressor. For me it was for mostly trying to keep the same levels when changing when I went from fingerpicking to strumming on the guitar. It did very well for that. So I guess I was using it more as a limiter.

It got me wondering what other people here might use it for? (.....or even if using it as a limiter is a good thing.......)

Thanks again,
Brad

Vocals number one to level and bring "forward", bass guitar as most any bass has a resonance peak somewhere that needs taming, drum aux bus "crush" using an analog modeler with harmonic distortion and compressed 7-10 db to add excitement to snare and kick , and lastly on 2 bus as "glue" where I've been having good luck with waves SSL bus comp.

You can use a compressor on practically everything. Like drinking, though, you should use it in moderation.
That’s what I’ve heard.... but I have a real hard time strumming quietly and fingerpicking loudly, so I end up using “moderate” compression while tracking my guitar. and just a little when mixing my voice (also mostly as a limiter).

Judiciously used, comp can be used for :tone shaping, moving things fore and back, taming resonances, reducing sibilance, sound sculpting(ADSR) and creative destruction as well as the tried and true dynamics/level control. I think its always a great learning experience to take a single audio track and insert any effect and LEARN what you can make it do. IMHO a compressor is just as much fun as any musical instrument to "play"

I tend to use compression more for the sound of compression than actually taming levels.

It will change the shape of the envelope of an instrument. For things like drums, it makes the speak longer, which will make them cut through a mix without being overly loud.

It can also alter the tone of an instrument.

I tend to use compression more for the sound of compression than actually taming levels.

It will change the shape of the envelope of an instrument. For things like drums, it makes the speak longer, which will make them cut through a mix without being overly loud.

I definitely did the compression for Sound more than compression when it came to my dbx 160A that I had to sell :(

I did this once for a song that I wrote that had a hip hop type vibe and it worked well!! ( give me “what white people over 55 shouldn’t sing” for $200 Alex.......)

Judiciously used, comp can be used for :tone shaping, moving things fore and back, [snip]...

Here's one. [in general]
The chosen attack, but perhaps more so the release time;
Relatively slow release can tend to 'set back' into the sound stage. (Partly due to the briefly but real lowered level -but also aside from that..) Where a fast release can have a 'forward 'in your face' result.

That’s what I’ve heard.... but I have a real hard time strumming quietly and fingerpicking loudly, so I end up using “moderate” compression while tracking my guitar. and just a little when mixing my voice (also mostly as a limiter).

Are you really talking about limiting? Like using a ratio of 10:1 or higher?

I can’t imagine that being a good idea. You’d be much better off normalizng the track if you’re able!

bachelorb said:
.. but I have a real hard time strumming quietly and fingerpicking loudly, so I end up using “moderate” compression while tracking my guitar. and just a little when mixing my voice (also mostly as a limiter).

Are you really talking about limiting? Like using a ratio of 10:1 or higher?

I can’t imagine that being a good idea. You’d be much better off normalizng the track if you’re able!

As Farview mentioned compression 'for the effect (as well as leveling yes), but volume automation- (AKA 'mixing :>) at least considered among your first tools in controlling level.

Make the case :p

The compression to do this 'auto-leveling task for the louder part, may in fact not be the optimum best sounding compression -in set up, attack, release and threshold -amount,, for that part.

The two goals (and setups) may coincide, but often they don't.
Leaving level control for 'level' opens up your compression options.

^^^ +1 Limiter for controlling output, compression for "peaks" or effect, not leveling. Waves makes vocal and bass leveling plug ins that can be used on guitar for quick and dirty leveling but automating rides is better. Normalizing can be used for less dynamic stuff without causing too much issue especially for samples or synthetic sounds, though its still not really "leveling".

Seems my memory of normalization is a little off but the concept is similar. OP, it’s definitely a better idea to make the levels of the track more even without compression before using the plug.

"Controlling" as in poor synonym for "limit". Feel free to post a better one, my brain is already drained for the day.:D

As Farview mentioned compression 'for the effect (as well as leveling yes), but volume automation- (AKA 'mixing :>) at least considered among your first tools in controlling level.

Make the case :p

The compression to do this 'auto-leveling task for the louder part, may in fact not be the optimum best sounding compression -in set up, attack, release and threshold -amount,, for that part.

The two goals (and setups) may coincide, but often they don't.
Leaving level control for 'level' opens up your compression options.

I guess one of my problems is I try to do vocals and guitar at the same time. I can control my voice during mixing, but not both. So I put the guitar through a DBX 163x compressor/limiter to control the levels. I am completely analog, so my only automation is my fingers... I realize it’s a technique thing with the guitar, buts it’s been a technique thing for two years.... Right now, I physically can’t keep my fingerpicking and strumming levels the same while singing.
Which hurts me during live performances too.....

On the other hand, strumming loud and fingerpicking softly is called dynamics. Do you really want both at the same level?

I guess one of my problems is I try to do vocals and guitar at the same time. I can control my voice during mixing, but not both. So I put the guitar through a DBX 163x compressor/limiter to control the levels. I am completely analog, so my only automation is my fingers... I realize it’s a technique thing with the guitar, buts it’s been a technique thing for two years.... Right now, I physically can’t keep my fingerpicking and strumming levels the same while singing.
Which hurts me during live performances too.....

Ah. That's a whole dif situation then.

If you actually need to strum in order to sing I would say strum with your thumb then track the louder strumming on an additional track afterwards. Or before and play to it. Same with the fingerpicking.

Back