compression and eq with an analog set-up

antispatula

So, I would go to the mixing forum, but no one there seems to know about reel to reels there.....So I'm going to ask it here.

So I've got a dbx 266 compressor, and an old teac EQ. Both are stereo.

1.When's the best time to use compression and EQ?

2.How am I supposed to use EQ and comp. on an 8 track when both units are stereo? Do I need to get an eq and compressor that has 8 channels?! I don't know.....

3. What is compression generally used on besides vox and drums? What about piano and accoustic guitar, and electric? Conga drums?

Thanks!

Last edited:
You should use those devices as you are tracking by making use of the insert points on your mixer to inject them into the recording signal that is feeding the reel to reel.

By re-using the compressor and eq on each track as you record and build your song by overdubbing, you can get compressed and eq'ed processing on all 8 tracks if you so desire.

What kind of mixer do you have?

As for when is the right time and conditions for using these devices, that's a pretty open ended question that could fill volumes of books to answer in that knowing the full set of engineering skills is almost mandatory to fully understand and apply from theoretical to hands on- reality.

At the most basic level, a compressor should be used when the dynamics of the source are greater then what the tape can cleanly handle but, using a compressor is as much of an art as tweaking the settings on an analog synthesizer. It's up to you to decide when you feel a sound can be improved by the use of one, then experiment and see if the results are pleasing or not and the on-going experience of trial and error will sharpen your mixing skills.

Same thing goes for using eq. This is a tool for leveling the sound spectrum or for creating your own idea of how that balance should sound. A quality instrument, picked up by a well suited microphone, coupled with decent acoustics may negate the need for using it at all and in other cases, you may want to boost or cut a particular frequency range for artistic effect.

When it comes to recording, there are few rules but one of the important ones is to trust your ears and follow your heart.

Cheers! :)

ah, ok thanks!

So lot's of the stuff I want to record are only done on 4 tracks. Would it be worth it to buy 2 stereo compressors so I can use it while mixing, if I'm only using 4 tracks?

Well, two's a party, four is a crowd! :)

If you can afford to buy additional gear, go for it. ;)

Using multiple compressors on mixdown will allow you to experiment more after your tracks are safely on tape so that is an advantage to you for adding flexibility.

Many people will prefer to compress going in so that on mixdown, there is less work to do. But, again, there are no hard rules; only suggestions.

Cheers! :)

Back