cleaning heads

antispatula

so whats the best thing to clean heads with? I've got isopropyl alcohol 70% "rubbing alcohol", doesn't have any ethyl in it. Does this work? Well, even if it doesn't, it's too late, I've already done it.....Anyways, help!

antispatula said:
so whats the best thing to clean heads with? I've got isopropyl alcohol 70% "rubbing alcohol", doesn't have any ethyl in it. Does this work? Well, even if it doesn't, it's too late, I've already done it.....Anyways, help!
I use 100% isopropyl alcohol, the 70% stuff isn't ideal because of the 30% water. From what I've read here 100% doesn't seem that common in North America, but 'older style' pharmacies in NZ still sell it.

woah.....so what are people in california supposed to use then? Does the 70% hurt the heads?

Oh, and know what else is weird? The machine I cleaned is really old, and there was a glass casing over the head. Is that weird?!

Use de-natured 100% isoprophyl alcohol. You should be able to find it at a chemical supply place. Rubbing alcohol has too much water in it. Use Q-tips in the direction of the tape movement.
Don't use it on the pinch roller. It will dry it out and cause it to crack. I use small amounts of Windex on a cloth....... and not that often.

antispatula said:
The machine I cleaned is really old, and there was a glass casing over the head. Is that weird?!
Is it an Akai GX series by any chance? These used "glass and crystal ferrite" heads which were, basically, glass heads. Very hard wearing.

What about American Recording S-721H, the stuff that US Recording sells? Is it good but expensive, or are the alcohols you guys recommend better?

I'd like to know what you all think because I have a new, unopened yet, can of it sitting right here. Noticing that none of you mentioned it made me get suspicious that it might not be good for my beloved Revox.

Back