Cleaning dutsy mixing boards .. ?

I like using 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner for resto and clean up work on older electronics. It seems to be less harsh than cleaners like 409, etc. and cleans very well. I've never cleaned an old mixer, but several pieces of McIntosh Labs equipment (painted parts, never on the black glass), several Revox tape decks, old Tandberg electronics, and my trusty and much loved analog oscilloscopes (HP 1715A, HP 1744A, and Tektronix 453). Works like a charm, and with very gentle buffing leaves the finishes looking like new, not as dry-ish as 409 and dish soap can. You can get it at Lowes, I think.

The Ghost of FM said:
Now I use a Swiffer duster as that actually picks up some dust instead of just throwing it around the room. Cheers! :)
So, can I still use the swifter duster on this mixer/recorder, . . or will that also possibly generate static electricity on the heads. . . .So, you definitely wouldn't go with even a battery operated vacuum as opposed to the electric vacuum .. ? I'm thoughts were that at least with the vacuum, ,.I could suck out any dirt or dust imbedded in between the faders, and in between the XLR inputs, . and inside the 1/4" plug holes. . . ? However, I do see your point that I might be looking for trouble by introducing any type of electro-magnet motor (around the recording heads) even a battery powered motor. . .

The Ghost of FM said:
Take the unit outside with the bottom cover off and blow it out with compressed air from a can or from a compressor if you have one. Cheers! :)
I'm not sure, if that's gonna work on this thing, . .it weighs almost 100 lbs, . and I almost busted my nuts gettin down the basement steps :) So, draggin it up, and outside, . then down again. .might not be too conducive to my health, . .or at least my nuts ;) Anyway, it doesn't look like there is very good bottom panel access . . .whew

. . sorry, Jeff I don't mean to be so argumentative, . .I'm just bummed that I'm gonna get to use my new 'fangled-spangled mini vacuum. . . :(

studiodrum said:
....am I just bein' too fricken paranoid. ;)
YES! You are.
Get regular vacuum cleaner machine (or what ever you already have) (I use older dirtdevil similar to this kind all the time all over my studio room for years - nobody has died yet, except my dogs really hate it :p ) ...put it on the floor, turn it on, use regular smaller dusting brush and/or crevic tool attachments...suck the damn crap. Then use what ever piece of cloth (old cotton t-shirt or something) ... use some all purpose cleaner or just water ... wipe the surfaces.
Clean the heads and tape-path.
and start recording already. Life is short. :D
/respects

My original thought in taking the unit outside to blow the crap out of it was to facilitate not getting your room full of dust when you do that. If the room is big enough to at least move the unit away from other gear that will be the recipient of that born-again dust, that might be a good thing to do so that you don't clean one piece and make dirty everything else.

As far as the Swiffer goes, that's a very safe product to use and you shouldn't worry about any static electricity issues with them.

As far as your mini-vac goes, you can still make use of it but just keep it away from the direct areas of the transport to be on the safe side. This can be accomplished by holding it in a position that has the motor of the vacuum at the farthest distance to the more sensitive areas. IE; Hold the vacuum with your left hand and approach the unit from the left. This will accomplish the task safely.

Someone else made mention of a mental condition of paranoia. I am not a psychiatrist so I'll pass on the bedside/web-side diagnosis. ;)

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
Someone else made mention of a mental condition of paranoia. I am not a psychiatrist so I'll pass on the bedside/web-side diagnosis.:)
LOL, . .Actually, I was the one in one that said that, ."am I being too fricken paranoid. . " which DR ZEE's was just reiterated in his post. . But, unfortunately, I already know that I'm paranoid, . . especially about cleaning electronics. . .I think there is a word or two for that, . .electro anal compulsive, . . Well, at least that saves me a few bucks on a psychiatrist, so that I can spend more money on cleaning products ;)
The Ghost of FM said:
As far as your mini-vac goes, you can still make use of it but just keep it away from the direct areas of the transport to be on the safe side. This can be accomplished by holding it in a position that has the motor of the vacuum at the farthest distance to the more sensitive areas. IE; Hold the vacuum with your left hand and approach the unit from the left. This will accomplish the task safely.
. . .Anyway, Dr ZEE might have a point, . . why not use a regular house vacuum with a long hose, attached to a mini nozzle, . .this way the vacuum motor stays far enough away from any of the recording head sources .. .this might be the best of both worlds. . . especially since I do have a mini nozzle attachment and a long hose for my vacuum cleaner, . .surprise, surprise ;) Thanks for all the help guys. . .

The 'dust buster' hand vac for little stuff and alchohol (No I didn't mean to start that debate.) and a craft brush/q-tip are all that I ever used. No problems yet. I don't think you are paranoid but am pretty certain that everyone may be out to get me. :eek: Dave.

i soak all my knobs in bleach/water for about an hour and let them dry overnight when i get new gear, cleans em right up

you can get yourself a stretchy hose ... and then feel like you are really on top of the game here :D
Now, somehow I see no reason to worry about "damaging" a device which is packed with electromotors by a device with an electromotor, unless you drop the damn vac on your precious device or suck all the knobs off ... or something like thart ;).... but I'm no engineer, so there ....
/respects

Back