Cheap analogue mixing desks?

Nightfire

Aspiring Idiot
Hey,
I dont really post much here because Ive never gotten into the analogue world too much.
Say a fella wants to get a decent cheap old mixing desk that doesnt add too much noise, what model should he look for?
Doenst need to be big, 8 Channel would be fine. Something in the Tascam family?
Been looking at the M-series selling on ebay, but it seems they all cost in excess of $600.

Mike

I am betting someone around here will have some options for you.... I am currently using a cheesy little Behringer mixer that my buddy from the radio station gave me (same guy who hooked me up with all the analog decks), and it is fine for my current needs.

I've...

I've always recommended the Tascam M-30 as a small, good sounding and versatile mixer. It's a little stripped compared to later mixers, but holds it's own in respect to many other mixers. They can be found at very reasonable cost most days.:eek:;)

The M-30 is an 8x4x2x2 configuration with it's Main/Monitor/Submix sections. Many Send/Rcv patch points are provided on each channel and buss, which makes up for the lack of actual Aux/Eff sends/rcv's. This is a subtle point that takes a while to appreciate about the M-30.

Not only that, but they go for cheap-cheap. Most of the time a "sleeper deal".
:eek:;)

Im using a little Behringer mixer for now, and it suits my needs, but I would like to give mixing on the board a try.
Ill keep an eye out for the Tascam M30, are they any other recomendations?
I probably wont use the preamps for converting, only for live band practice applications. But Ill use the EQ section etc, for mixing.

Mike

Also, it will be used for internet broadcasting as I am hoping to start an internet radio station.

Mike

this one is a nice and shiny and can't be simpler, it's vintage and sort of "tascam family" :p:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEWBOX-TEAC-2A-6-Channel-Audio-Studio-Recording-Mixer_W0QQitemZ230258328107
looks good for "internet broadcasting" to me :), (no meters, so not much "fun" :( ) and I would not think that it would satisfy your recording needs, though :(

Its brand new too:D. Looks like no tone controls, but then again its signal to noise figures should be good I think. Honestly a behringer mixer probably be better value? It depends on the final asking price I guess?

,,,Looks like no tone controls, ,,,
oh, it has 'planty' - not just one - but two! of them per channel :)

this board is sort of "one of a kind" (may I say so?), but I would imagin that not so many folks would appreciate its "kindness". Hey! it has no "stereo output" - whatch'a gonna do? whatch'a gonna do? How to use it? ...heh heh heh. It's a nice puzzle for a curious mind :)
Having the meter unit would be a big plus there. ( it's possible to find one on eBay too, but they kind of not very cheaply-going).
The main reason I've posted the link is mostly because it's a NIB! It must have that "new car" smell.
anyhow,
also, just in case here's VintageTX's page: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/vintagetx/Teac-2A.html
P.S.
"...behringer mixer probably be better value?"
Oh, sure! :rolleyes: - and not just a "behringer mixer", but any of and all of 10000000000s of them that are out there as we speak, and more to come. Nobody will escape from em'. Them replicate themselves perfectly. :D

Attachments

• THEM.jpg
    THEM.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 155
I used to have a Behringer UB802 mixer. It was functional, neat little mixer and pretty well put together, but I can tell you that everything sounded squashed and stripped of life that came through those Invisible Mic Preamps (IMP is right!)

I sold it for that reason. I'm not a Behringer basher. Some stuff they do does make me shake my head, but it doesn't do any good to whine about it. I can vote by buying or not buying their products and I'm free to tell others what has driven my choices like I've shared with the UB802, and they in turn are free to make their choices. "Let the people decide."

Another thought: If you for certain need an eq section, this won't work...much more limited in terms of flexibility, but consider a Tascam MX-80. Simple 2U 8 x 2 x 2 rack-mount unit, but I see them go for well under $100. Quiet full sounding pre's, inserts on all 8 inputs (on individual RCA's), and individual -30 PAD/MUTE, phase reverse and phantom (with an external power supply) on each channel. No metering, but there are clip LED's on each channel. The inputs sum to 2 basic stereo outputs with individual level controls; one -10 unbalanced on RCA's (with a second set of jacks labeled "AUX OUT"), and one on balanced XLR's switchable -10 or +4. They are cascadable using the BUSS IN jacks that are on the back as well.

Just a thought. It is really well-built.

Here's an example with a cool phantom supply solution. :eek:

I had a low end behringer mixer and it was awful sounding, the preamps were crap as what has been said and the eq section is rotten as well. i seem to remember not being able to use the aux to send 100% of a channel to fx. I think the most that could be sent was 50% aux & 50% through the channel fader. I could be wrong it's a while back when I was first starting. the only thing i could really compliment the behringer mixer for would be low noise & good build but that's all!! I changed to a mackie vlz pro series mixer & couldn't believe the difference. I thought i had been bummed with buying certain mics cause they sounded crap through the behringer, but when i plugged them into the mackie, wow. I'm not saying mackie are great, i'm just saying they're great in comparison to behringer low-end gear. :eek:

Here's another option on eBay right now

Tascam M-108

Behringer prices with actual faders...I'd bet this sounds a WHOLE lot better than a comparably prices Behringer/Phonic/Alesis budget mixer.

No phantom, no mute or solo functions, but it DOES have four groups, and a nice little aux section, flexible metering and nice channel access, and it is an inline mixer. Loads better I/O features than the budget mixers. Looks to be in good condition too.

I've owned a Behringer before and found it thin and harsh sounding.

Any of the above mentioned TEAC / TASCAM boards would sound much better and would have better routing. Yeah, the M-30, M-106, M-108, M-208 and the TEAC 2A (but you'd need something like the MB-20 meter bridge or a way to monitor, via some external 'monitoring box', 'cause the 2A doesn't have a headphone 'out', but it's a very nice sounding mixer and is built really well).

-----

Thanks for all the replies, I have a good starting point now.
I have a little 10 channel behringer mixer at the moment, but would like something with VU meters and faders, plus Im not a big fan of the sound the Behri produces.
Thanks,
Mike

I've owned a Behringer before and found it thin and harsh sounding.

Any of the above mentioned TEAC / TASCAM boards would sound much better and would have better routing. Yeah, the M-30, M-106, M-108, M-208 and the TEAC 2A (but you'd need something like the MB-20 meter bridge or a way to monitor, via some external 'monitoring box', 'cause the 2A doesn't have a headphone 'out', but it's a very nice sounding mixer and is built really well).

-----

You gotta be kidding! The Model 2A was a piece of garbage. Nosy Hi-Z mic inputs. Single-ended power supply, as I recall. Picked up RFI at the drop of a hat.

Guys, help me understand how to set up a console...

Let´s say I have a 16 channels mixer (with direct out and inserts on every channel) and an 10 inputs / 10 outputs sound card (something like the FirePod or similar).

I would like to know how to set it up to being able to mix outside the box... Like larger studios do with their SSL´s...

I supposed it goes like this:

Mics - Console - Soundcard - and then: Soundcard - Console - Soundcard again (as a stereo track)?

Am I making any sense? Thanks!

You gotta be kidding! The Model 2A was a piece of garbage. Nosy Hi-Z mic inputs. Single-ended power supply, as I recall. Picked up RFI at the drop of a hat.

It still sounded way better than any similar concept behringer that I've tried in the past. Is it as quiet or as good at rejecting RFI as other, higher end, mixers. No but I wasn't comparing to those and, again, I'd pick the 2A over any of the 'budget' minded behringer products and including some higher priced ones too. It's the latter that I'd term 'garbage', from my own experience. Pair up the 2A with a 3440 and you can record some tight sounding, pretty stunning sonics.

----

Garbage is GOOD!

cjacek said:
TEAC 2A...it's a very nice sounding mixer and is built really well
Daniel, this is so only! for one who can appreciate it, ..you know ;)

You gotta be kidding! The Model 2A was a piece of garbage...
Right! :rolleyes:
... as I recall.
More garbage in your recollection pot and more of it you spew around - more great "garbage" gear out there for cheap available for me! Life is great. :D

Gotta learn how to appreciate garbage of all sorts these days ;)

Daniel, this is so only! for one who can appreciate it, ..you know ;)

That's right, Mike. It's in the 'eye of the beholder' thus someone's 'garbage' is another's panacea! If the 2A is 'garbage' then I'm a fan of it! :D ;)

----

P.T. Barnum lives!
I don't think so.
As I recall, the "showman" has ran out of headroom well below "O VU" and dropped dead.

btw, Mr."RR", you ain't foolling nobody with your "old-timer expertise". But you don't think so and so there it goes on and on (that's just the way it is around here), naturally.
So, keep it up, and enjoy "the ride", just watch your head....

Attachments

• watch_your_head.jpg
    watch_your_head.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 99
Back