Changing MS16 Fan

James K

Hi,
I was wondering if any MS16 owners here had changed the fan in their machine. As you will know if you own one, it's extremely noisy and having it in the same room as instruments can be a problem. it appears to be a 60mm 24v fan and the one fitted is a fbp 06b24l. Firstly, if anyone has replaced it, how did it go? Was it easy to do? The problem is that I can't find much information on the fan so I don't know how powerful a replacement has to be.

Thanks,
James

I replaced a few of my fans with this brand, Link have a look through and see if they have the size and volts, just pick a good airflow and you should be right.

Cheers
Alan.

I was going to suggest Noctua as well, but AFAIK their products are largely intended for computers with a 12v source.
You might be able to frig it with a switching regulator like the TRACOPOWER TSR 0.5-24120, which should efficiently convert 24v DC to 12v DC, but I have never tried that. Obviously you'd want to test it outside the machine first, if you have a suitable 24v power supply to play with.

You should be able to find the flow rate of the original fan and match it will a quieter computer type replacement.

The 24 to 12V problem can be solved with a series 12V Zener diode. The 24V fan pulls 0.09A, a 12V might pull 0.2A indicating a 3W Zener but go for broke and use 5W.

Dave.

Another option is, if you can find them, run two 60x60x16mm 12V fans in series on the 24V supply. The supply will “see” a 24V load. I’ve done this where there are two separate 24V fans in parallel on a 24V supply in order to have more options for quieter fans...problem is you’d need to stack them and I’m not sure what issues you’d encounter with inter-fan turbulence and decreased effectiveness as a result. You couldn’t lock the blades together to fix the blade pattern to ensure consistent speed and air movement...but...it’s an option of sorts.

Okay, it seems like at least one of those options will be doable. Thanks! In terms of fitting it, does anyone know what would be involved? Ideally I would hope I could access it from the back rather than having to take the whole machine apart from the front. Also, what sort of noise level is acceptable for studio use? i don't know what the current dBA is for the fan so I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks,
James

I use a Noctua in a Tascam MX2424 and my hard drive bays, they reduced the noise by about 80%, you can hear themif you stick your head next to them but the fan noise in the room has gone.

Alan.

Back