Cassette v. 1/4" v. 1/2" (life beyond the DAW)

i've been recording for a few months on a tascam 688 now, and i just love it! If you want to keep it low-budget and use those cassette tapes you bought, go for a 688. It's a great machine...

Thanks again for all the great info guys... this thread has continued to evolve in very cool way.

As far as 1/4" tape goes, what brands/types do you guys prefer? Is there a particular kind that offers good quality for an affordable price?

Is there a good place to buy it online?

Also, I've been looking at cleaning/demagnetizing supplies, and I found this kit by S&R Audio on eBay.

Has anyone used the products in this kit?

Last edited:
GemSmith said:
Thanks again for all the great info guys... this thread has continued to evolve in very cool way.

As far as 1/4" tape goes, what brands/types do you guys prefer? Is there a particular kind that offers good quality for an affordable price?

Is there a good place to buy it online?

Also, I've been looking at cleaning/demagnetizing supplies, and I found this kit by S&R Audio on eBay.

Has anyone used the products in this kit?

that will work for your casette deck. but it isn't going to work very well on a deck with 1/4" heads or bigger. you gotta find the han-d-mag. try www.usrecordingmedia.com .

as far as tape goes, that depends on your deck. I think the 388 runs on 406 but I am not 100% sure of that. Anything larger go with 456.

Thanks for the tip... I just ordered the one you suggested, as well as the head cleaning and roller cleaning fluids, and 1000 swabs from USRM...

If I've learned anything about analog from my experience with vinyl playback, it's that GOOD cleaning products, anti-static, etc. make a HUGE difference!

I think this supply of cleaning stuff ought to last me at least a few years!

GemSmith said:
Thanks for the tip... I just ordered the one you suggested, as well as the head cleaning and roller cleaning fluids, and 1000 swabs from USRM...

If I've learned anything about analog from my experience with vinyl playback, it's that GOOD cleaning products, anti-static, etc. make a HUGE difference!

I think this supply of cleaning stuff ought to last me at least a few years!

whoa....not sure how the han-d-mag is going to work on your porta.

you'll be surprised how fast you can use it up.

FALKEN said:
whoa....not sure how the han-d-mag is going to work on your porta.

you'll be surprised how fast you can use it up.

Crap... really? Why won't it work? Is the han-d-mag too big or something?

Never having used any kind of demag device before, I guess I didn't really know what I was doing... If it won't work with the 424, I'll save it for when I eventually get a 388 and buy one that will work with the 424.

GemSmith said:
Crap... really? Why won't it work? Is the han-d-mag too big or something?

Never having used any kind of demag device before, I guess I didn't really know what I was doing... If it won't work with the 424, I'll save it for when I eventually get a 388 and buy one that will work with the 424.

I don't *think* there would be a problem. hopefully some of the more knowledgeable guys can jump in on this.

GemSmith: I know that some will disagree here but I am of the thought that the Han-D-Mag is just too strong for a cassette based recorder. It's too powerful period. In fact Nakamichi recommended against its use for its cassette decks. I'm also of the thought that one should demagnetize only when there is a problem, when you know your tape path is actually magnetized. Demagnetizing often can actually leave the tape path magnetized. I'd opt for no demagnetizing and only have it done periodically by a professional when you have your machine serviced or when the heads and tape path came in close proximity to other magnetizing objects.

Case in point: I just bought an Annis magnetometer, checked my TASCAM 388 and TEAC 3440, both of which I never demagnetized and the result was: no magnetism!

As for cleaning fluids: you could have just bought some cheap isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% and perferably 99%) for the metal tape path parts and got a rubber cleaner from www.caig.com But you don't want to treat the rubber pinch roller frequently, perhaps just once to restore the roller's grip and former look and do it only when that has strayed, which may be many, many months. Other than that, just use dampened with water lint free cloth to clean the tape residue from the pinch roller when you do your head and tape path cleaning with the alcohol. Also make sure to use q-tips that have a wooden or paper handle and no plastic.

Well, I'm completely bummed for today... The 424 just showed up and sveral things are wrong with it. First of all it was advertised as an MKIII, and an MKII is what showed up... even the receipt said "MKIII" on it. I figured, "OK", that's fine; I was expecting an MKIII, but an MKII is certainly an equivalent unit, so fine.

Well, then I fired it up to put it through the paces... The pitch warbles all over the place on playback of recorded signal, the left channel on the headphone jack cuts out, and that's where I called it 'quits' on the trial run and called back the place I bought it from. Fortunately they're willing to give me a full refund including paying me back for return shipping, but I'm still bummed to have to mess with this... I was all set to lock myself in the basement this weekend and really put it to the test.

Well, back to shopping for another one!

cjacek said:
GemSmith: I know that some will disagree here but I am of the thought that the Han-D-Mag is just too strong for a cassette based recorder. It's too powerful period. In fact Nakamichi recommended against its use for its cassette decks. I'm also of the thought that one should demagnetize only when there is a problem, when you know your tape path is actually magnetized. Demagnetizing often can actually leave the tape path magnetized. I'd opt for no demagnetizing and only have it done periodically by a professional when you have your machine serviced or when the heads and tape path came in close proximity to other magnetizing objects.

Case in point: I just bought an Annis magnetometer, checked my TASCAM 388 and TEAC 3440, both of which I never demagnetized and the result was: no magnetism!

As for cleaning fluids: you could have just bought some cheap isopropyl alcohol (at least 90% and perferably 99%) for the metal tape path parts and got a rubber cleaner from www.caig.com But you don't want to treat the rubber pinch roller frequently, perhaps just once to restore the roller's grip and former look and do it only when that has strayed, which may be many, many months. Other than that, just use dampened with water lint free cloth to clean the tape residue from the pinch roller when you do your head and tape path cleaning with the alcohol. Also make sure to use q-tips that have a wooden or paper handle and no plastic.

Well, all this even bums me out further... I spent too much money on cleaning fluids that I wouldn't have needed, and I bought a de-magnetizing device which I can't use for a 424, and that I probably wouldn't have needed anyways. Maybe I can still cancel the order from USrecording. :(

Oooh, too bad about the mix up!

When working properly, the 424mkII is almost identical to the 424mkIII, less the extra 2 full channel strips,... obviously. Getting a refund under these circumstances is wise.

I thought the first "maintenance kit", with the Nakamichi-clone demag wand and the two bottles of fluid was correct gear, if not a little pricey.

Keep looking for that like-new 424mkIII. I've picked up a couple, myself. If by chance ur in the Los Angeles area, I could help you with gear & stuff.;)

Picking Reels brain

A Reel Person said:
PS: I forgot to mention the Tascam 48 & 58 in the line of 1/2" 8-tracks. They'd be contemporary with the 38 model, but higher end, respectively.

;)

Reel, Do you know why those models seem to be more rare than the 38 and the TSR8? I'm guessing they came somewhere inbetween the two? Also, any features they have that maybe make them better or worse?

cjacek said:
GemSmith:

Thanks for sharing that cjacek. That's probably the case most of the time and a good idea.

cjacek said:

i don't doubt this....but the manual usually recommends a degauss every 10 hours or so.

SteveMac said:
Reel, Do you know why those models seem to be more rare than the 38 and the TSR8? I'm guessing they came somewhere inbetween the two? Also, any features they have that maybe make them better or worse?

I don't know the deep answer to this, but Tascam's marketing has traditionally been inconsistent, to say the least. The 38 & TSR-8 were scoped, designed, and marketed to the homer. The 48 & 58 were aimed at the pro. On balance, the home recording market is larger (and probably more lucrative) than the pro recording market.

Tascam's wisdom and vision has been on questionable terms for a long time now. They've laid a few eggs in marketing terms that were otherwise engineering triumphs,... with the 388 being a prime example of that. So, who knows what's going on with Tascam. I don't. I just ride the waves like e'one else.;)

FALKEN said:
i don't doubt this....but the manual usually recommends a degauss every 10 hours or so.

Yes, I've read that too. And sometimes they're pretty emphatic about it. I guess I just don't like demagging. I always feel like I'm doing nothing. :D

SteveMac said:

I know the question is not directed at me but my thought is that the 48 and 58 are more "pro" versions of the 38 and the TSR-8, are build to withstand usage a lot better and are generally more robustly built and thus are more expensive. This resulted in more "budget" oriented gear originally sold such as the 38, TSR-8 etc ..., which equalls more of these types of recorders being sold on the used market ....

SteveMac said:
Yes, I've read that too. And sometimes they're pretty emphatic about it. I guess I just don't like demagging. I always feel like I'm doing nothing. :D

I am always afraid I'm going to toast my machine. or my hard drive in the nearby computer. or the needles on some vu meters in my rack. I never do it in the middle of a session.

Back