Cassette tapes what types best that is still available?

colhol63

Hi I am in need of some cassette tapes for my Tascam 424mk111......anyone used Maxell UR tapes? I usually try to use TDK SA`s but they are getting pricey/scarce the Maxell UR`s still seem available in quantity, I just wondered if they are ok quality wise, or should I look at wiping some of my old masters that I no longer need? Thanks

Maxell UR is a normal bias tape and therefore not suitable for portastudios like the Tascam 424. It’s also not the greatest normal bias tape… best for dictation and general purpose recording. With 4-tracks or 8-tracks on cassette you don’t want to skimp on tape. TDK SA and Maxell XLII 60 or 90 are still the best choices. Also look for Akai GX 60 (or 90), which is a pretty good high bias tape and can usually be found a bit cheaper than TDK or Maxell. eBay is still a good source, but you have to be patient and look for the deals. Amazon sellers should be shot! (I mean tortured and shot!)

Cassette tape prices are a lot higher than they should be, but for the recording time you get its not a bad deal compared to open-reel tape. $4.00 per tape is not too much, considering that’s about what we were paying for TDK SA when it first came out in the 70’s… and that was a lot more in 70’s dollars of course.

Thanks for that, I have about 6 or 7 brand new TDK SA60`s left which I will soon use up , I wasn't quite sure about the maxell UR model as I have always used TDK but that's cleared that up for me Thanks again

For example, this is a steal compared to what you normally see on eBay and Amazon. Six TDK SA60 for only $19.99 w/free shipping. Works out to $3.33 per tape. I use TDK SA from this era and its great stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301051187012

Back