Cassette and Reel to Reel Recording Head Configurations?

Ron Schilling

Hi,

I enjoyed the 70s way too much, and it continues to affect my comparable understanding of how cassettes and reel to reel recording heads are set up. So, here goes:

On a cassette, you can flip the tape over, continue recording, and not erase the recordings on the "other side" of the tape. I, not knowing any better, figured this would work on my A3340S 4 track when I first bought the machine. So, when I ran out of tape I simply flipped the tape by moving the now full takeup reel to the other side, and put the original, now empty reel, where the takeup was. The end result, was, of course, that I erased the first recording and replaced it with the second recording. This continues to confuse me.

Anyway, here's the question: Does a cassette recorder actually record on "both sides" of the tape, or does it simply use 1/2 of one side of the tape first, then, when the cassette is flipped, use the other 1/2 of the "same side" of the tape (which would make for some mighty small heads)?

On the 3340S, it appear that all the record heads use the same side of the tape--true?

Another way to put it is, do tape recorders use "both sides" of a recording tape, or is only one side recordable (you'd think they'd explain all this in the manuals)? Or, are cassette tapes configured for two side recording, and reel tapes for one side?

All this stems from not quite understanding the term "1/2 track recorder." I had assumed all these years that a studio grade 1/2 track machine using a 1/4" tape format would have two 1/4" heads, one for the top of the tape, and one for the bottom of the tape, and that this was what distinguished studio grade 1/2 track reel to reels from consumer grade "stereo" reel to reels that would put both the L and R tracks on the same side of the tape, allowing the consumer to flip the tape to the other side (by now you should be able to tell the 70s really were fun). Are the terms "1/2 track" and "stereo" really synonymous?

Anyway, I am obviously confused, and appreciate your insight.

Thanks,
Ron

Standard cassettes and 4-track units use identical cassettes, it is the way the recording takes place that is different....

On a cassette recorder, recording takes place on tracks 1 and 3 - ONLY... when you flip the tape over, tracks 1 and 3 become tracks 2 and 4 (since the heads are stationery) and recording takes place on those 2 tracks....

If you played a standard cassette in a 4-track unit, you would hear tracks 1 and 3 played normally, and tracks 2 and 4 in reverse....

There ya go!

Bruce

Ron,
Been looking for a 'net explanation, but can't find exactly what i'm looking for, so here goes:

A "stereo" cassette tape records just as you describe. One half of the tape contains the information for the A side L and R channels, the other half has the information for the B side L and R.
A multitrack cassette is used only in one direction, and contains X number of tracks (4, 8, etc.) split into L and R.

A simple pictorial would be:
Stereo Cassette
A side L -------------- Direction of play/rec --->
A side R --------------
B side L --------------- Direction of play/rec <---
B side R ---------------

Multitrack Cassette
Track 1 L ------------- Direction of play/rec --->
Track 1 R -------------
Track 2 L -------------
Track 2 R--------------
Track 3 L--------------
Track 3 R--------------
...etc.

This is essentially the same for reel to reel. I have a Technics 1506 deck that is labelled as 4 Track Stereo. It is comparable to the Stereo Cassette example.
Your 3340 is a Multitrack stereo, which performs like the second example above.
Also, just to clarify, the audio is only recorded on one side of the tape (that's where the magnetic oxide coating is). If you were to actually turn the tape upside down (rather than reverse it), you should hear nothing. I say should, because it depends on the tape quality, age of tape, recording level, etc. :)
I'm stiil trying to define 1/2 track - I think it relates more to a 2 track mastering deck where you have a track dedicated to Left and a track for right, but that may be my flawed reasoning.
Hope that helps.
Mike

Thanks folks,

That at least clears up a portion of the 70s!!

As far as the term "1/2 track" goes, it must refer to having the recording heads configured so 1/2 the tape is for R and the other 1/2 L, i.e., one track uses "1/2" the tape.

So, does anyone know what format studios used to mix down to before digital came along? Were the mixdown decks (reel to reels) 1/4" or 1/2" based, or something else?

Again, appreciate you taking the time to straighten me out!

Cheers,
Ron

I think some of the old Mercury records were mastered on the optical strips of 35mm film! Dave Fridmann (Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev producer) is a big fan apparently...

Back