Cassette-only "record" labels

What is the part # for your 122b?
Hi cjacek. Man, I have to say you are a really great member here. Thanks.
Although I don't think they are the same. The 122b motor has 2 speeds and the part number is different. There is a lable on the back of the motor with this part number.
Teac 70000 600
There are other wires as well. I read in another forum there is a transistor inside and some jumpers that are soldered for something er-other..I don't remember, but you have to solder them on new motors. My biggest problem is the speed thing. When I first bought this, the motor was sluggish, so I took it apart and oiled the bushings, which I later learned was a no no. :rolleyes::D However, it did allow the motor to run at the correct speeds, although there was still a very bad vibration, which I assumed was just a bad bushing. But then I moved and the unit was in storage for a year. When I powered it up, it would only run in fast mode, no matter if the switch was on low or high. :( I researched the possible reasons, which seemed to point to a bad transistor in the motor. Dang, I love this machine. They're so heavy duty and great transport design, at least compared to consumer decks. But I'll just set it aside and maybe come across a motor or another deck..who knows. Thanks again cjacek.

Let me get this straight.................Tascam doesn't have capstan motors for a deck that hasn't been out of production for very long????
:mad::( Yea, my exact sentiments. I think I'll shoot for a 122MK111, but their pretty expensive.
fitZ:)

I'd love to get my hands on a 122, at least one that has the XLR connections. Is that the original version or did all of them have that "option"? For now all I have is my Nakamichi MR-2. So far, so good. Haven't had any problems out of it and the price can't be beat........FREE!:D I'd still rather have a 122 though. It goes better with my 424mkII and M-2516 than a Nak.:p:D

at least one that has the XLR connections.
The model with XLR's is a 122"b". There are NO consumer decks that compare. Once you open one up and look at the transport hardware compared to consumer decks, you'll understand why.:)

Alright! I've been teaching myself how to edit. It's been three weeks and close to 80 hours of work in my bedroom.

This is a rough mix of one of the songs. The left channel cuts out in the beginning but this will be 'fixed'.

One song rough mix

It was done with one omnidirectional dynamic mic and one unidirectional mic... this was before I got my mics from Naiant.

If anyone's still subscribed to this thread, please download the mp3 and tell me what you think! :)

Ah, cassettes. First developed in 1959 by Phillips Corp. as lowly dication medium. Supercharged to a fair-thee-well to provide sound quality that, altho not close to CD, is simply amazing compared to the medium's humble beginning.

Truly the cock-roach of the audio world- they just won't die.

Nothing wrong whith cassette's, played through a well maintained machine sound great and can sound even better than the CD. Obviously CD is better quality and a lot more practical to use. I had the same Who recording on Tape and on CD, the tape was better. I transferred one of my old 4 track recordings to computer and monitoring both at the same time, and it seem to me a lot of brightness dissapeared from the computer monitors?

Im not sure you would sell too many cassette albums, cause those who are cassette enthusiest are small in number and realy spread out. You could alway mix or transfer to cassette and then back to computer. The results might sound good whith your particular sound?

Hi

Did you use a 24 bit recording soundcard?

When you use a standard soundcard (16 bit 44100 hz) you will loose some of the wide range of the tape. When recording from tape to pc: use a higher ranger (18 bit or if you have a hi quality semi pro soundcard 24 bit or even higher) you will maintain the quality and the wide range of the sound stored on the tape. Some result can already be obtained when using a 16 bit soundcard but 48000 hz. When you study the wave file in a wave editor and you compare the 44100 and the 48000 you already see the difference.

I used a creative extigy soundcard for some time and this one has two optical connectors, so when I copied my DCC tapes to wave format I obtained the same quality. when copying r2r tapes: use a pro or semi pro card because of the higher range.

Nothing wrong whith cassette's, played through a well maintained machine sound great and can sound even better than the CD. Obviously CD is better quality and a lot more practical to use. I had the same Who recording on Tape and on CD, the tape was better. I transferred one of my old 4 track recordings to computer and monitoring both at the same time, and it seem to me a lot of brightness dissapeared from the computer monitors?

Im not sure you would sell too many cassette albums, cause those who are cassette enthusiest are small in number and realy spread out. You could alway mix or transfer to cassette and then back to computer. The results might sound good whith your particular sound?

Back