Cassette-only "record" labels

Yeah, I noticed that vinyl and cassettes are much more popular in EUROPE. Maybe you should target the EU?

---

I'm looking into this. I'm scouring the Internet and various zines for information on distros and labels in Europe. Folks in Europe go NUTS for American metal/thrash/hardcore, and for good reason, too: it's REALLY difficult to find American music over there. I can't imagine there's anything like Amoeba (local, independent music megastore) in Hungary or Latvia, but I'm only speculating.

Just to put it out-there that it's too bad cassettes are not at least competing with the current technology as many a time tapes can sound much nicer and natural than the CD [even when properly mastered] and certainly much better than mp3. While I don't necessarily buy into the hyper sonics of the said format, I always was of the thought that tape represents the original linear analog signal more naturally than does a technology which uses limited sampling [even within the audible human hearing range]. I would like to see higher end cassette decks again with good tapes [chrome, metal etc...]. We already did a whole thread, recently, on digital vs analog and so please lets not start another one. Either format is viable and has both positive and negative attributes. No one's trashing anything, just giving opinions, as asked. [I had to do a disclaimer]. ;)

----

Wow, I guess I really showed my ignorance of the format's demand out there.:o:eek: I love cassettes, not as much as my 1/4" reel to reel, but cassettes can sound damn good if done right. I've used Maxell XL-II cassettes for various things for about 20 years and the older ones still sound fantastic. The bonus is that is what works best in my 424mkII.

I had no idea that there were that many cassette labels out there. All I keep seeing is people posting up mp3s and not even offering a CD.:mad: I do have to say this is one time that I am glad I stand corrected!;)

Now, for a tech question. How easy/hard is it to pull apart a car stereo and clean the heads and transport? Do they generally operate off belts or gears? I've got a deck that is starting to act up and I need to get it handled before it actually kills a tape.

Okay, I'm going to go sit in my corner and shut up so I can learn some stuff in here.:p

Cleaning car stereo tape paths is usually a pain.

Here in Oz we used to have special wet cleaning cassettes made by BIB and Allsop which did a passable job. But for a proper clean the unit may have to be removed from the dash and the cover taken off.
Later units had a special security screw to stop thieving which made it even harder to remove from the dash. I took the screw out.

I've ben thinking of putting my old tape player back in the car along with the CD player as I have a whole lot more cassettes than CD's.

Tim

Cleaning car stereo tape paths is usually a pain.

Here in Oz we used to have special wet cleaning cassettes made by BIB and Allsop which did a passable job. But for a proper clean the unit may have to be removed from the dash and the cover taken off.
Later units had a special security screw to stop thieving which made it even harder to remove from the dash. I took the screw out.

I've ben thinking of putting my old tape player back in the car along with the CD player as I have a whole lot more cassettes than CD's.

Tim

Mine is easy to get out. It's the goofy Ford "security" system that just requires two small flat head screw drivers to unlatch the metal tabs. It's the disassembly of the deck itself that concerns me.:eek:

Digital recording techniques offer phenomenal dynamic range, which analog simply can't match.

I gotta jump in here...maybe I've got my terminology wrong, but the dynamic range in the digital domain is capped at 0dB. That is sonically neutred. Music-eunoch...that's one of the major problems for me...actually it wouldn't be such a problem were it not for the level-wars. Were it not for the level wars digitally reproduced music would sound great, but would have a much lower perceived relative SPL. Check out Toto's "Toto IV" album on CD. The mastering engineer left some headroom...he/she didn't squash it and you know what? I think it sounds great, but it is relatively quiet. I grappled with this on my last project, caught in the get it loud whirlwind...customer demand...I'd have it hot and sounding pretty good and if I backed off the soft-clip limiter plugin (and then backed of the master level to keep it from clipping) it sounded SO much better...everything breathed, the kick had kick and character to it...man! Analog, with contemporary high output tape can push WAY over 0dB, especially depending on how much harmonic distortion fits the project or piece. This, for the most part (depending on the tape format) nullifies the big analog vs. digital push regarding noise. Yes digital inherently is hiss-free...better signal-to-noise specs for sure, but if the program material buries the noise-floor who cares?? And if you've a wider dynamic range and wider bandwidth...I could care less about hiss...I'm not a digital-basher. I appreciate both camps. My problem with digital is the contemporary application of it, not the media itself. As I've stated elsewhere, people didn't run to digital because it sounded better (by people I mean professional engineering and production folks), they jumped because it was cheaper and faster...less resource outlay in gear and editing labor means lower rates to the customer = more customers...its a simple matter of economics in this facet about which I am writing. Of course there is so much more to it, and of course it is (and should be) deeply personal, but that's my 2p.

and certainly much better than mp3

I pretty much can't stand the mp3 format...I much prefer the .wma format which is similar to my ears to the .aac format. I've done lots of A/B comparisons and I think .wma/.aac romps all over mp3 in bitrate to bitrate comparisons...being a microsoft stooge I use .wma when I need to use a compressed digital format.

keep your player's heads clean (you can buy "cleaning cassettes" to do this)

I really don't think cleaning cassettes are a nice thing for cassette decks, except for, as was mentioned, automotive decks where access is an issue. The pads don't pull the dirt and oxide away from the heads and basically rub it back-and-forth. It becomes a light-duty scouring pad. Take care of your deck and use cotton pads or the swabs with the proper cleaner. The cleaning cassettes also don't clean the whole tape path or clean the pinch roller.

I REALLY don't recommend the demag cassettes either. Get a demag wand. For cassette decks the cheapey eBay $10 unit will do the trick...for anything else get the Han-D-Mag. Treat your gear right.

Sorry to propogate the thread hijack. :)

Great topic. I think the cassette format is great. Still have my Onkyo TA-2058 from 25 years ago and it keeps going and going and sounding great. Good quality decks using good quality tapes (CrO2) sound great.

Hey remember the TDK MA-X series? (I think that's what they were) I still have a bunch of those tapes laying around...the ones with the alloy shell...

Dynamic range is the difference between the softest audible sound and the loudest audible sound - 96db is the specification for the Audio CD format.

AK

likely CD and digital audio are capped at 0dbV - that is the output level. To be honest, I had to dig out my old recording manual and re-learn a lot of this stuff. I got a degree in Audio Engineering back in the 80s, and worked as a glorified roadie for several years before changing careers. While I am sure there are many and possibly even more informative books available now, if you can find a copy of John M. Woram's "The Recording Studio Handbook" you should grab a copy. It was the textbook used at every major school back in the 1980s.

AK

PS Links for Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Recording-Studio-Handbook-Updated-Woram/dp/B000KWSXXY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214073297&sr=8-5 that is
the book I have

http://www.amazon.com/New-Recording-Studio-Handbook/dp/0914130048/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1214073297&sr=8-4 and this looks like the newest edition available

Only available used, but for $10 or so it is an invaluable resource

Last edited:
I've got 6, but I'm a whole other story.
Ha! I've got 8. I live in a remote part of Oregon(coastal) where stuff pretty much stays here. Cassette decks are no exception. I see them all the time in the thrift stores and yard sales, and most are like new. Haven't paid more than $5 for any of them. Just got a brand new Sony with auto reverse for FREE!!:eek: The people thought it was "obsolete". Ha! Little do they know.

But P U L L E E E E S E don't let this secret out.:p I LOVE cassette decks!!!

Hey, anyone know where to get a capstan motor for a Tascam 122b? I've tried TascamParts etc and searched the net. To no avail. No one emails me back.:mad:
fitZ

Ha! I've got 8. I live in a remote part of Oregon(coastal) where stuff pretty much stays here. Cassette decks are no exception. I see them all the time in the thrift stores and yard sales, and most are like new. Haven't paid more than $5 for any of them. Just got a brand new Sony with auto reverse for FREE!!:eek: The people thought it was "obsolete". Ha! Little do they know.

Hello from a native Oregonian, now living in the SF Bay Area. I really ought to drive up to Marin and check out the thrift shops and yard sales. I imagine that tons of wealthy people up there are now getting rid of their 1970s/1980s Onkyo, Marantz and Akai tape decks and that they're now showing up in thrift stores...

Hello from a native Oregonian, now living in the SF Bay Area.
:eek:OMG....why in the world would anyone trade Oregon for that god forsaken place is beyond me. :rolleyes::D I lived in Sacramento for 30 years and moved here 4 years ago. You couldn't PAY me to move back to that hell hole called California. Here is just one example why...:rolleyes: Bet you didn't know this shit goes on there.

http://www.freerobertpeernock.com/

The trouble is, thats only the tip of the shit. For 10 years, Sacramento Co Child Support DA's stole $30k from my kids, and then after I took them to court, had the audacity to laugh at me in court and threaten to "invent" another $80k in non existant "arrears" if I pushed. And then the judge ordered me to sell my house and in his own words to my attorney..."get the fuck outta California":mad::mad:

Best thing i ever did. All I can say now after 4 years of researching corruption in Cal and the Federal gov.....they're ALL fucking thieving cocksuckers. Anyway, sorry for the off subject but when people mention moving to Cal, I just have to laugh...especially if they gave up Oregon for it.:rolleyes:

Check this out for "due process" in California courts....what a fucking diabolical joke.

fitZ:(:mad::(

Attachments

• ROBERT2.jpg
    ROBERT2.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 82
Yikes, that's pretty... odd.

I'm going to try to steer this thread back on course.

I'll post more of my reasoning for this cassette label. Soon :)

By the way, I made my first "semi-successful" recording tonight with my mobile setup. Really crappy Radio Shacki-ish mics taped to the rafters at a warehouse show. Straight from tape it sounds REALLY good... surprisingly good, really. I'll edit and EQ it a bit and then post a link.

And, look forward to the manifesto post...

I'm a little tipsy from the show, and I'm listening to the tape and it sounds really good, so pardon me for the enthusiasm ;)

Cheap dynamic mics can often produce a good recording. My old recording instructor used to call a recording made with only dynamic microphones 'garage-O-rama' because it has that 1960s sound. Looking forwardto the link!

AK

Last edited:
Rick, if you want superb service [with quick email replies] then email these guys:
Hey cjacek, thanks a lot for the link. I got ahold of them, but...alas, no capstan motors available:( Oh well, maybe i can find another 122b in good condition.

Although, HOOOORAY!!! I scored a Pioneer Reciever and Twin cassette deck today at a thrift store for a whopping $10!!! Yahooo! Both like new, and work great. The cassette has all the bells and whistles!! Ha, $5 each...I like em like that.:D
Thanks again.
fitZ

Let me get this straight.................Tascam doesn't have capstan motors for a deck that hasn't been out of production for very long????:eek::confused:

Back