cassette blues

grejammon

yamaha mt 120
what is the best way to get recordings from cassette to cd.
i have 5 songs all on different cassettes, will this
be a problem?will the quality of the cassette rcording
transfer over to cd okay.could you give any names
or phone numbers for such a service.

I'm also using a Yamaha MT120. You are the first person on this forum that has mentioned that recorder. Pretty cool little machine.

I convert to CD using this approach:http://www.sticksite.com/tape2cd/

Audacity is super easy to use, and it's free.

If your computer has a "line in" jack, you can use the internal sound card in the computer to convert to digital. All you will need to buy is the cord with the 1/8" mini jack on one end and the stereo RCA on the other end.

I, however, am using a laptop that only has a "mic" input, so I bought an imic (external sound card) that accepts a line level input, and plugs into the computer through a USB port. It's nothing fancy, but it's probably better than the internal soundcard for the reasons mentioned here http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic2/

That first web page explains the process, step by step. The only thing he doesn't discuss is the use of an external soundcard (imic in my case), but it is very simple, and the imic comes with directions.

Please realize that people spend lots of money to do this process, and I'm sure you can get a better sound with an expensive sound card. However, why not try this first? I'm totally satisfied with the results I'm getting using this minimalist, inexpensive approach. Very clean conversion.

Let me know if you need any tips.

Last edited:
I have an MT120S. I transferred some of my old 4-track tapes to CD by dumping (recording) each track into my PC using 4 channels of an 8-channel sound card, then mixed from there in Cakewalk.

But if you have only a stereo input on your card, you could mix at MT120S into Audacity or something similar.

I have an MT100,
I stiull use it to record - usually basic stuff. I usually take the stereo/mix line out & into the stereo in of my comp & record into Cakewalk for additional stuff or into waverepair if I'm just going to EQ, normalize & burn.
Yesterday I installed a 2nd hand Inca 88 card & breakout box (AU$128) then tested it.
It's great - I was able to record into Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 all 4 tracks from my MT with no mixing, ready to deal with in anyway I like.
Either way, you're in the right place going from tape to HDD.
You can even record additional tracks to tape, after wiping a couple that is, having left a guide track etc - upload them to Cakewalk & nudge them into place.
This analogue forum - is really good & has lots of helpful folk to.
Audacity is fine - not hi fi but it's fine, fun & free. Cakewalk costs...
Whatever you do - DON'T be seduced into leaving your tape machine & going purely digital. A0 You know your tape machine, b) the sound it gets - when run properly is what Digital Dudes are striving for - warm, clear & minimal noise.
IF you REALLY can't get your head around it send me the tapes & I'll do it for you at cost (CDR & postage) but it's something you should get into.
As long as the tapes are the OK for the machine (play them & see) there shouldn't be a big problem.
Paying/getting someone to do it will cost a bity & you won't have control over the mixing.
Give it a whirl!
Cheers
rayC

Last edited:
Back