Can you spot the problems with this machine.

Herm said:
And how many of you can spot the problems with this machine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-Reel-to-...358116794QQcategoryZ41480QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope someone doesnt buy this and find out there are some problems with it.

- The large reel adapters for one :rolleyes:
- Looks like all screws are missing from front
- That "roller" is missing from the tape path on the far right
- And of course it doesn't play or ff or rew - but the seller probably doesn't know shit about this recorder - evidenced by the large reel adapters which obviously this machine doesn't take :rolleyes:

***I would stay away from this one for sure!

Do I win something, Herm ? :D ;)

~Daniel

NO sorry all you really win is the satisfaction in knowing your are a true tascam man with great wisdom in the wonderful world of analog.

Who wants to send the seller a 10.5" reel of tape and empty reel to test it? :D

I was thinking of including this note:

"Dear seller,

Tascam experimented with a lead/pasta-based alloy to make the chassis for the early model 22-4. The problem is that when exposed to sunlight over many years the chassis loses mass and becomes too short for the reels. This is known as "shrinky-lead syndrome."

I can't tell by the picture how much the unit in your listing has shrunk. Can you please try this tape to see if it still fits? If not I will give you twenty bucks for the unit for parts.

Thanks"

:D

Last edited:
cjacek said:
- And of course it doesn't play or ff or rew - but the seller probably doesn't know shit about this recorder - evidenced by the large reel adapters which obviously this machine doesn't take :rolleyes:
I missed the screws, but not the roller.
As for the NAB adaptors, go watch 'Dr. Who - Ark of Space' sometime. They have all these weird little 7" or 8" NAB spools everywhere. So they do exist, or did 30 years ago, at any rate. (And yes, tape will become the primary means of data storage in the year 3000)

OTOH, in this case, it's more likely that the machine has been messed with by someone who didn't quite know what they were doing.

jpmorris said:
As for the NAB adaptors, go watch 'Dr. Who - Ark of Space' sometime. They have all these weird little 7" or 8" NAB spools everywhere. So they do exist, or did 30 years ago, at any rate.

I've got one of those. They're 8". Mine was originally 1" width, but I put a 1/2 hub on it to use for test tape on my TSR-8.

They will fit on TEAC/Tascam X-series/22-series machines as far as clearance and would look cool as a hot-rod mod. I’ve actually considered getting a NAB clamper for my 22-2 for the take-up reel (but I can get distracted by this sort of screwing around when I should be recording). To my knowledge no tape manufacturer ever put ¼” tape on these specifically for use on small machines, nor did anyone make short (1200’) tape on NAB pancakes. I’ve only seen them in open-reel video and for calibration tapes.

There isn’t enough clearance on my Akai GX-77; not sure about Fostex and others.
:)

somebody, pls, send a friendly note to the seller, advising: "Instead of trying to sell this unit for 20 bucks take the reel adaptors off and sell them for 40 bucks first :D
\...now, if you yourself a buyer and tascam r-to-r user, then bid for this item while it's hot ;)

/respects

Herm said:
NO sorry all you really win is the satisfaction in knowing your are a true tascam man with great wisdom in the wonderful world of analog.

Ok, that's good enough for me! :) ;)

Thanks Herm :)

Back