Can You Mic External MIDI Instruments Like You Can Audio Instruments When Recording?

Mike Freze

I'm fairly new at recording audio and midi tracks together. I am using my personal computer software program (Cubase LE). It's hard getting the MIDI tracks to sound right if I record more than one of them at a time. I have no problems with multiple audio tracks.

Question: Can you mic an external midi instrument (I have a Yamaha PSR-290)? I mean place a good condenser mic in front of the speakers that play the midi sounds. Will it save the recording as an audio track (file) in my program just like you can mic and save a guitar amp, bass amp, etc.? Or will it still only record the sound as a midi sequence? Will micing a midi instrument (keyboard or a drum machine) make the recording sound richer and fuller like a real audio instrument? I notice straight midi sounds seem stale and artificial.

Mike Freze

A microphone will always record to an audio track...mics cannot transmit MIDI data. That's a digital signal and goes through the MIDI cable, so yes, you certainly can record MIDI instruments to an audio track. If you want you can even use an audio out jack from a MIDI instrument if it has one rather than using the mic, but using the mic will give you more options in terms of how the MIDI instrument sounds in the room and such.

Hope that helps.

This is what I would do.

Record your MIDI instrument or if you're using something stand alone like a drum machine or something that will record the whole performance do that. Then run the sounds through high quality speakers like your studio moniters and record that. I've done that with drum machines and it sounded good to me.

Nate: Do You Mean To Record With A Mic Near the Speakers Of The Midi Instrument?

Thanks, Nate! Wasn't sure if you meant to use a mic to record with. I guess this would make it an "audio file" (track) even though it is a midi instrument.

Mike Freze

Thanks, Sweetbeats! Just A Few More Questions

I didn't realize that recording through a mic (say, near my Yamaha keyboard's built-in speakers) would allow a better sound (or more editing capabilities) than going from the midi out jack to my audio in jack of my interface.

Is a condenser mic the way to go instead of my Sure SM57 or SM58??

One last thing (if you don't mind). Is it best for me to record my effects from my keyboard (say, the built-in reverb, delay, chorus, etc.) in real time through my mic and into my interface speakers for recording? Or is it best I record everything dry (no effects) and add them later through my computer software program when I edit and mixdown? I don't know if you can remove or edit the effects later if you record them in actual time from the keyboard itself. This probably applies to guitar recording too: I can add external pedal effects (or reverb or distortion from my Fender twin-reverb, tube amp), mic that sound by liking the speakers, and then record. However, maybe the effects can't be undone or changed with the Cubase LE software I use for recording, editing, mixing. It has it's own effects (digital) you can add later. But they're NOT as good!!

Mike Freze

Typically built in speakers don't sound that great but maybe your keys have great speakers. I might route the audio out to a larger external amp and mic that instead.

Also, you cannot route midi out to audio in. Midi carries a digital signal and cannot be used as audio input. You can route midi out to your daw interface midi in and use software instruments inside the daw.

I almost always record dry and add effects later. You can't undo effects like reverb when they are recorded wet.

fstrat76: Thanks So Much!!! Please Answer A Few More Questions

Thanks again. Great Advice.

So if I mic my keyboard through my good amp (Fender twin reverb, all tube) to record a track in my Cubase LE software program. Then it gets recorded as an audio track, just like vocals, amping my guitar or bass, etc.

Now the question is, will this produce as good of sound vs. my recording the keyboard direct through my interface (which goes to my computer) by connecting my midi cables and all that so it becomes a midi track.

I have never found a plug in/synthesized instrument or effect on my computer that even comes close to the real sound of a "live," real time instrument, amp, good quality mic to record to, etc.

Do you feel the same or am I living in the old days? I still think anything recorded audio far surpasses in quality the sound from midi instruments/effects. If this weren't true, try comparing a real great singer that you record through a mic (audio), which is the only way you can do that anyway, with a synthesized vocal sound. Can't work.

Also, try matching a digital, computerized instrument (with amp simulators and effects, whatever) with the sound of great expensive speakers you record live and there's no comparison with the rich, deep, authentic sound you get from micing live instruments and amps. Do you agree?

You can mic you midi devices this way too to record them as audio tracks (keyboard, orchestra instruments, drum machines, etc.) Again, no comparison when I mic them through a good mic, good speakers, and record them this way as audio tracks (even though they are from midi devices). No computer software program can compare in the sound you record (even though you can do more editiing if you just chose to save the track as a midi recording).

Do you agree or not agree? Hey, 90% of live, big name bands (or solo artists) who play live concerts use 75%-100% of audio-type instruments (vocals, guitar, bass, etc.) when they perform. They don't show up without their gear and just have a computer software program play their parts and they only sing live. Look at Metallica. See any midi instruments when they perform? Answer: none.

I can see where computers can balance sounds vis the digital mixers for live bands, but the actual music is all real, audio sounds.

If this is all true (and most albums/singles involves "real" singers, guitars, bass, sax, keyboards), then why even record in the midi mode?

Can't you still edit, mix, and master with a computer software program with audio tracks as easily as you can if you were dealing with midi tracks? If not, then how do you explain the great vocals from all these great bands or solo singers that have hit records when the vocals cam't be a midi production to begin with? All those vocals have to be edited or mixed as audio tracks, right?

Mike Freze

Most times with things like keyboards, people just use the line output and plug them directly into the recording interface...rather than miking them in some way.
It will still give you what you want, an audio track of the keyboard's sounds...rather than the internal MIDI tracks.

Does your keyboard have a 1/4" line output?

So if I mic my keyboard through my good amp (Fender twin reverb, all tube) to record a track in my Cubase LE software program. Then it gets recorded as an audio track, just like vocals, amping my guitar or bass, etc.

It won't sound good going through a guitar amp.

You can mic you midi devices this way too to record them as audio tracks (keyboard, orchestra instruments, drum machines, etc.) Again, no comparison when I mic them through a good mic, good speakers, and record them this way as audio tracks (even though they are from midi devices). No computer software program can compare in the sound you record (even though you can do more editiing if you just chose to save the track as a midi recording).

Do you agree or not agree?

Nope, don't agree at all. There are many VSTi's (virtual instruments) that sound amazing, all running inside your computer. Micing your Yamaha keyboard is going to sound horrible with those boombox type speakers and whatever room you're recording them in.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.... :confused: :confused:

But like Sweetbeats and Miro said, use your audio out to record your keyboard. You'll get much better results than micing it.

Back