Can I make my fostex 812 +4dB

tapeboy

ok check this...

I love my little fostex mixer it has 12 tape ins and direct outs on every channel,
if I bought another one is it easy to link them together AND
what if I got a couple of 'levellers' and put them between the direct outs to feed the 24 track tape machine +4db? Would the inserts also become +4db automatically and wouldn't my Fostex become in theory a +4db desk?
I need to be able to record and play 24 tracks all at once if neccessary and I just love my chunky little 812. Thanks for any feedback!

Unless you really know your electronics I doubt you can do that. But why do you want to change it to +4? Unless the machine you are going into is only +4 there is no reason to do this.

tapeboy said:
...and put them between the direct outs to feed the 24 track tape machine
Which 24 track recorder do you have or plan on having?

If your distance between the recorder and the mixers is less then 30 feet, you can get by nicely without the +4db balanced connections.

Cheers! :)

ok help me out one time here!

problem: a soundcraft 760 24 track (+4db in/out)
dream: 2X fostex 812 (-10db) running in sweet harmony with the soundcraft
I have an old behringer ultralink (buffer) laying around, maybe if I bought a few more of them? I want the 812 to be a +4db desk am I asking to much?!!

I have one 812 now so I would also need to know how to link another to it.
HEELLP!

TASCAM still offers a couple of step up/step down 8 channel converters that take -10db, unbalanced signals and convert them to balanced +4db xlr connectors and they also make the same 8 channel box in the reverse configuration.

Caution!!

It won't be cheap to do this as you will need 3 of these for input to the recorder and 3 more to handle the deck's output and each unit retails for about 500 dollars.

You might also investigate purchasing 48 direct boxes which do the same thing, one channel at a time but, decent ones are not cheap either.

You might be best to get a Mexican divorce from your 812 and consider something more industrious to be the bride with your 24 track. ;)

Something else to strongly ponder here;

You have managed to score an incredible recorder in the Soundcraft. Two inch, 24 track is a full blown professional format to work with and though used machine prices have fallen off the charts, all the ancillary equipment to make them run in a studio have not fell in price along with the recorders so be patient in attempting to put this all together on a tighter budget. If you start truly adding up all the cabling and equipment expenses you'll quickly see what your up against and especially so when you consider acoustic treatment, microphones, the proper building and space to set it all up in comfortably, you'll see this is a crazy hobby, right up there with collecting custom cars or other extravagances.

thank you Ghost!

good words, I like you! I can buy a soundcraft 400B for not bad money, beautiful VU's the leather upholstery etc. ANY, ANY way I can get that rocking for 24 track recording - don't mind recording 8 tracks at a time but 24 track playback must be there.

Yup.

There are a good supply of 32 channel mixers out there with balanced connectivity that would give you what you need to work with the recorder and have a few strips left over for addition effect returns or to use a dedicated tracking strips to feed the inputs of the recorder.

That's how I do mine; 16 track, one inch TASCAM being fed by a 24 channel mixer in an "in line" configuration with dedicated mixer channels for tracking and playback and room to spare for additional returns and feeds. My M312B TASCAM mixers offer balanced in and outs and everything else I need to work comfortably with and these days, you could pick up a couple of those for around a gee note or less depending on market conditions.

Back