Can I hook up my soundcraft 328xd digital desk to my Reel to Reel? mixer suggestions?

fisheric

I have a soundcraft 328xd digital desk its 32 channels with lots of inputs and outputs and I have only used it a couple of times. It has motorized faders which is cool I guess. It was the first piece of recording equipment I ever got. After I got it I decided I wanted a reel to reel.

So I just last week traded my boss for his Fostex b16 1/2" 16track. He also gave me a second one for parts and two 20' mogami snakes.

I am looking a my board but I am starting to think I need an analog board.

I don't want to convert to digital out of the board and then back into analog. That sounds like asking for trouble.

If I had to buy another mixing board my budget would be about $600 for something used.

Thanks in advance

Do I need to post any additional information?

Others, more knowledgable than I, will no doubt weigh in, but for now...

Gotta say, Soundcraft does NOT make it easy to get info on their products. ONE pic?? Manual in ZIP format?? (Nobody else I remember makes you unzip a file for a freakin' user's manual.) Rather sucky of them, I say.

I see the board has direct outs, post and pre fader. You should be able to to go from there to the R2R to record, and from the R2R to the line ins, to playback and monitor. Those are analog jacks, so you should be okay.

Or, trade your board for a "vintage," "classic" analog board I just happen to have. Just remember, I asked first!

Others, more knowledgable than I, will no doubt weigh in, but for now...

Gotta say, Soundcraft does NOT make it easy to get info on their products. ONE pic?? Manual in ZIP format?? (Nobody else I remember makes you unzip a file for a freakin' user's manual.) Rather sucky of them, I say.

I see the board has direct outs, post and pre fader. You should be able to to go from there to the R2R to record, and from the R2R to the line ins, to playback and monitor. Those are analog jacks, so you should be okay.

Or, trade your board for a "vintage," "classic" analog board I just happen to have. Just remember, I asked first!

I don't know about trade, but PM me with the info on yours.

I recently bought a TASCAM M-520 for $450, off Craigslist. It's perfect for a 16-track tape machine. It's so flexible and feature-rich for a board of its class that I'm still not really sure exactly how I'm going to set it up :)

There's plenty of stuff out there. You just need to keep an eye out. When you see something that you like, come back here and post a link and ask some questions.!

[Edit] Yes, you are definitely going to want an analog board.

I have a soundcraft 328xd digital desk its 32 channels with lots of inputs and outputs and I have only used it a couple of times. It has motorized faders which is cool I guess. It was the first piece of recording equipment I ever got. After I got it I decided I wanted a reel to reel.

So I just last week traded my boss for his Fostex b16 1/2" 16track. He also gave me a second one for parts and two 20' mogami snakes.

I am looking a my board but I am starting to think I need an analog board.

I don't want to convert to digital out of the board and then back into analog. That sounds like asking for trouble.

If I had to buy another mixing board my budget would be about $600 for something used.

Thanks in advance

Do I need to post any additional information?

I don't know how current this unit is but there is a brochure showing an analog interface specifically for your console. http://www.soundcraft.com/products/product.aspx?pid=28

If you are otherwise happy with this board, I'd go that route.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. That extra interface looks nice, but it might be cheaper just to buy a different board and sell this one.

I should be able to sell this one buy a decent analogue mixer with some cash left over.

Its too bad this board is pretty cool. It has motorized faders so if you change a setting in protools or whatever it moves on the board.

Back