Building a simple analog studio for recording and mastering. Tascam 38 + Studer B67

JanneVSE

I have a chance to buy Tascam 38-8 reel-to-reel with Tascam 216 Mixing Console and Studer B67 (without VU) mastering reel-to-reel recorder. I don't have any previous experience on reel-to-reel machines. Would these machines make a nice analog recording and mastering home studio? What questions I should ask from the sellers of these machines?

What other gear would I need for a simple analog studio? I do have some decent mics, Ashly CL52 compressor and Golden Age Project Pre 73 mic preamp, and Ashly graphic EQ.

Since I never used reel-to-reel tape recorders is there some basic maintenance that I should learn? (I have a tape delay, so I know how to clean capstan heads.) How do you calibrate reel-to-reel machines for different type of the tapes? Is this a job for a pro?

Yes, that sounds like a nice setup. I've used the later generation deck, the TSR-8, which I've had no complaints about, and I still use alongside my 24-track system. The '38 uses 1/2" tape so it's not the cheapest to run, but it's not the most expensive either.
One of the things to look for with both machines is the condition of the heads, since they wear out with use. The rubber parts are also prone to deterioration, the drive belt on the '38 and the rollers on both machines. However the heads are more expensive to fix or replace.

For a basic all-analogue studio the building blocks I'd look for are a multitrack, mixing desk, stereo recorder, and some sort of effects processor. You seem to be covered for the first three, and a tape delay is helpful, but some kind of reverb unit would be handy too. Digital ones are commonplace and pretty cheap, if you want to do it all-analogue, a spring reverb is your most sensible bet. Reverb is useful for 8-track systems because you can use it to do pseudo-stereo during mixdown, without having to use two tracks.

EDIT: To calibrate the machines you'd need a couple of other things, fairly expensive things. You'd need a test tape, and an oscilloscope. The procedure and anything else you'll need that I've forgotten will be in the manual.

Back