Brian Eno on Analog vs. Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

citizenkeith

Eno said:
It's interesting that after working in computers for a while, when you then listen to something that wasn't made in a computer, it sometimes has a shocking, sparkling live-ness to it. But you simply have to accept that something happens when working with computers and you work within that constraint. If you're a print artist, you know that lithographs wil give you a different effect than silk screens. So I'm aware that in working with computers, you exclude certain sonic possibilities, as you do when working with analog tape.

In working with digital, you sacrifice certain possibilities of sonic range and depth, while in working with analog, you sacrifice all the operational freedom that comes with computers.

I love how he makes the comparison to print art... pure Eno. His music is very visual, if that makes sense.

citizenkeith said:
I love how he makes the comparison to print art... pure Eno. His music is very visual, if that makes sense.
Of course that makes sense! And after all, he is the father of ambient.

In working with digital, you sacrifice certain possibilities of sonic range and depth, while in working with analog, you sacrifice all the operational freedom that comes with computers
Eno is also known for his very nice soundinglines of writings. They often REALY sound great if the "listener" (the reader) does not care to REALLY read through .... ;) That's maybe why he was so good in his art-form - good for and easy on your ear yet nothing particular :p
So...? hmmmmmm :D What "sonic range and depth" exactly are? And if you can define them, then how specifically possibilities of one, the other or both are being sacrifice when recording digitally.
Operational freedom? - that is very questionable subject, really. Computer based music production in respect to the art of music really just gives you an illusion of freedom.
Maybe there is here some sort of mix-mash confusion between digital recording and computer-based production (which are related but not exactly the same things).

Of course you don't need to "analyze" every word from Brian's writings, but instead just see it for what it could mean which is:
"Digital recordings/productions sound like sh*t, but I do it, because I love all the sh*t I have in my software menue and all the sh*t I can do on my computer using all the sh*t I've got in my software menue" ... :D But of course, Brian could not say that, because it would not sound like pure Eno. :D :D :D
MadAudio said:
.... And after all, he is the father of ambient.
He maybe is a father of the term ambient to be used as "label" in the commercial musical genre tree in reference to a musical form, but he is no way near being a "father" of the musical form, which was (and nowdays is) labeled by that term. There were musicians/producers before, are now and will be in the future who did, do and will master similar art-form with no connections with and no influences from Brian what so ever - the musicians/producers who play/record/produce and release their work without manifestations attached ;)

..speaking of "manifestos" , ...
arghhh... I'd rather stop now... or my rant will go forever :D

/respects

Dr ZEE said:
Eno is also known for his very nice soundinglines of writings. They often REALY sound great if the "listener" (the reader) does not care to REALLY read through .... ;) That's maybe why he was so good in his art-form - good for and easy on your ear yet nothing particular :p
So...? hmmmmmm :D What "sonic range and depth" exactly are? And if you can define them, then how specifically possibilities of one, the other or both are being sacrifice when recording digitally.
Operational freedom? - that is very questionable subject, really. Computer based music production in respect to the art of music really just gives you an illusion of freedom.
Maybe there is here some sort of mix-mash confusion between digital recording and computer-based production (which are related but not exactly the same things).

Of course you don't need to "analyze" every word from Brian's writings, but instead just see it for what it could mean which is:
"Digital recordings/productions sound like sh*t, but I do it, because I love all the sh*t I have in my software menue and all the sh*t I can do on my computer using all the sh*t I've got in my software menue" ... :D But of course, Brian could not say that, because it would not sound like pure Eno. :D :D :D

He maybe is a father of the term ambient to be used as "label" in the commercial musical genre tree in reference to a musical form, but he is no way near being a "father" of the musical form, which was (and nowdays is) labeled by that term. There were musicians/producers before, are now and will be in the future who did, do and will master similar art-form with no connections with and no influences from Brian what so ever - the musicians/producers who play/record/produce and release their work without manifestations attached ;)

..speaking of "manifestos" , ...
arghhh... I'd rather stop now... or my rant will go forever :D

/respects
Picky picky picky! :p

Hey Madaudio how I was just listening to some of your work. Sounds good.
Could you tell us something about how it was recorded?
Thanks

Herm said:
Hey Madaudio how I was just listening to some of your work. Sounds good.
Could you tell us something about how it was recorded?
Thanks
Be glad to, but I'd rather not hijack this thread. I'll start a new one in the Recording Techniques topic.

Yep, great stuff. I just read that LP review in Mix just last night. He's so right, there are advantages to both. Now what everyone needs to read is that article about the death of dymanics in the same issue.

MadAudio said:
Be glad to, but I'd rather not hijack this thread. I'll start a new one in the Recording Techniques topic.
you could and still can post it here .imho
sounds great, btw...
big deal! :rolleyes:
You can post some recording details about your works and just string it to, let's say, sonic range or sonic depth ;) issue in respect to analog or digital recording. By talking about your specific recording situation you will inject some groove and structure into Brian's abstract ambient texture. IT would do good for the thread. :D

As for "Picky picky picky!".... Yeah, I know. But I have to be picky with seleb elite's "fathers", "moralists", "globalists" and such... everyone have to be picky with them, it's a good practice, imho
As for professor and thinker Brian, I have to say this: "A guy who has a nerve to write a freaking "manifesto" to an ARTform (ANY! artform that is) should fear of himself instead of nightmare hallucinations of Tony and George, wearing swastika armband."
Arts and Manifestos shall not mix. (in the FREE world that is).
Swastka IS a mutant-mix of art and manifesto. Think about it :D
...not seriously, but for fun of it, of course ;)

ok, as for fun, funny stuff, Brian, manifesto, structure and groove all mixed together here is a comment ... I've found it funny and pretty visual too :D :D :D

/respects

Dr. Zee - yeah, I suppose I did use the term "father" a bit loosely. And I agree with what you say about art.

After reading this i had to put in Here Come the Warm Jets.
GOD i love that album i guess taking tiger mountain is next!!
I havent listened to that in a long time
thanks,
RAndy

Randy5235 said:
After reading this i had to put in Here Come the Warm Jets.
GOD i love that album i guess taking tiger mountain is next!!
I havent listened to that in a long time
thanks,
RAndy

Yeah, I like that one too. "Babys ON Fire, better put her in the water... :D

I got to see him speak years ago at college a few years after "one tree hill"
Though I can't remember a word of what he said. :confused:

I recently posted a top-15-list with my favourite Eno works in an other forum and I felt I had to post it here as well. What do you think abou it?

01 Ambient: Music for airports - Brian Eno LP
02 Low - Bavid Bowie LP
03 Fourth world vol.1: Possible musics - Jon Hassel/Brian Eno LP
04 Q: Are we not men A: We are Devo - Devo LP
05 Brian Eno - Descreet music
06 Music for films - Brian Eno LP
07 Before and after Science - Brian Eno LP
08 Lodger - David Bowie LP
09 My Life in the Bush of Ghosts - Brian Eno/David Byrne LP
10 Here Come The Warm Jets - Brian Eno LP
11 Heroes - David Bowie LP
12 For your pleasure - Roxy Music LP
13 Taking tiger mountain - Brian Eno LP
14 Anather green world - Brian Eno LP
15 Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land

By the way, has anyone read his diary: A year with swollen appendices.
I've heard it got a really tasty part about adobe photoshop and naked ladies!

citizenkeith said:

Nice quote by Eno. Where did you read it?

Hmm, Zee I'm not sure if you're with us or against us.... :D but without getting all political I still think this was a great quote.

But, unfortunately, over the same period, the mass media vaulted backward, thriving on increasingly simple stories and trivializing news into something indistinguishable from entertainment. As a result, a wealth of original and subtle thought — America's real wealth — is squandered.

SteveMac said:
Hmm, Zee I'm not sure if you're with us or against us.... :D ...
that's pretty simple. I'm one of those for whom them write their manifestos.
It's not about politics at all. It's about them "enlightening" the rest of us...

/respects

Dr ZEE said:
that's pretty simple. I'm one of those for whom them write their manifestos.
It's not about politics at all. It's about them "enlightening" the rest of us...

/respects

I hear what your saying. He's not an artist he's an "Artiste" ;)

Beck said:
Nice quote by Eno. Where did you read it?

Oops. I thought I sited that in my post. It's in the new Mix magazine.

I totally respect Zee's opinion on Eno, but some of us aren't unquestioning hero-worshippers. The proof is in the pudding... I really, really like a lot of Eno's work. Some of it bores me to tears as well. When I listen to "Fear of Music," "Here Come the Warm Jets," or even his new album, I don't think about manifestos, I just enjoy the music.

citizenkeith said:
Oops. I thought I sited that in my post. It's in the new Mix magazine.

I totally respect Zee's opinion on Eno, but some of us aren't unquestioning hero-worshippers. The proof is in the pudding... I really, really like a lot of Eno's work. Some of it bores me to tears as well. When I listen to "Fear of Music," "Here Come the Warm Jets," or even his new album, I don't think about manifestos, I just enjoy the music.

Exactly, I don't know anything about manifestos or his ambient music too much but I think he's a brilliant poet. This thread got me too dust off my old tapes of Warm Jets and Another Green World and the brilliance is still there. When I first heard it, his music got me thinking they'd be some kind of psychological revolution in music. He's is unique. Eno Lyrics

Last edited:
Dr ZEE said:
try this one ... it'll inject into your "narrow mind" some good dose of "new" "thinking" .... ;)
/respects

Thanks, but no thanks Doc... my brain is full right now and I have a headache from sniffing too much Maxell XL 35-90B. I'll take a raincheck though.

Hey, is it just me or does anyone else hear bagpipes? :p

Attachments

• pipegirl.jpg
    pipegirl.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back