best way to retain high end?

Dr ZEE said:
Cool.
And that is the best you can do.
You are nothing. Just another "username" to enrich my 'ignore list collection'.
...end of transmission ;)

/
It's not the best I can do, it's what you asked me to do.
Ignore this, ya pissy little hump!

FALKEN said:
Zee,

it just occured to me exactly how ironic this whole thread has become. I was (am?) having problems with losing my high end and here you are proclaiming that "there are no problems" yada yada when in reality you produce a style of music that necessiates that you kill the high end dead. you might not actually know anything about retaining the high end (granted, you might)...which is why it is ironic that you are posting half of this stuff. Not trying to dig on you; i just noticed the irony; that's all.
You've "lost your hi-end" in your car :D ... look under the floor mats or something :D :D :D
OK OK OK! I am really sorry that all this sh*t happened at your thread... and you can blame me for this as much as you can or want. I can handle it.
I have a question for you... why don't you play your favorite hi-end-rich hits at you control room.... see (I mean hear) if you can enjoy them. Then mix you recordings accordingly ... that is if you really need a "reference recordings" to check up your mixes against something (another words, if silence is not a good reference point for you :)).
You maybe have problem ... maybe not. But whether you do or don't - looking into "what's wrong with my gear" or "my room" (blame the wire - that's what I call :)) is almost always a dead-end when it comes to producing a mix which will make you feel like saying: "WOW! This sounds like I really have done it this time!". It is dead-end - because you are just going to spend all your "producer's life" chasing the better gear, improving your setup etc... while you'll be always a few inches behind a "radio-hit" you wish your mix would sound like.
I know, that what I am saying here sounds like a generic B.S. .... but I am telling you this, because I've read your few other posts/"broblems". I actually do "sort of" care about your problem(s), but I really believe (it seems to me like) that the fact that it has to do something with your studio-setup is the last thing on the list of problems. And, no , sorry, man, I do not have a tip or two for you on how to place a mic to retain hi-end.... :p even if I had, I would not tell you, because I believe you are already way off the focus.
Again, that's my opinion, based on what I know and my philosophy (if I may say this). Am I wrong?. That well may be. I have rights to be wrong ;)
As for your observation on dub and stuff - here's a song: One Man's Meat....is some guy's aching butt ... and that's about all I can tell you.
Get an attitude :)
...now, I'll shut up

/respects

Dr ZEE said:
I actually do "sort of" care about your problem(s), but I really believe (it seems to me like) that the fact that it has to do something with your studio-setup is the last thing on the list of problems. And, no , sorry, man, I do not have a tip or two for you on how to place a mic to retain hi-end.... :p even if I had, I would not tell you, because I believe you are already way off the focus.

OOOOOOOKAAAAAAYYY

Dr ZEE said:
Do you mean to "learn something" from real PROs? The guys like you? From Experts? Right? ;)
I HAVE learned "something" from PROs in entertainment business. I've learned the rule of the rules: "For greater success - be a greater a$%". "Better person" will never make it on the RollingStone cover.
This is why I have chosen to be a militant radical anti-PRO. Yep - that's what I am - radical anti-PRO. I choose to dismiss "RollingStone", its fat and ugly sister "Billboard" and their shadowing publication on the production side - "Mix" (along with the rest of it - all at once, all of it with what ever it stands for, what ever it promotes, what ever it has to offer ... all gone with the wind,.....hmmm, no! not whith the wind - it's gone with the toilet flash .....wshhhwshh-bool-bool-bool-wshhshhh - gone :p )
I am having great time saying "stupid things" which make "real-PROs" laugh.
And it's all good. One thing though: guys like you, have no idea how REALLY laughable all your "professionalism" is.

I don't have problems. It seems like you have problems with me... I think I can understand why. well, deal with it... So when ever you stop by over here to "shine some light" - remeber - there is at least one anti-PRO idiot here laughing at you.
:D :D :D

Agreed you are an idiot, but I like you anyway. You are funny.

Hi All,

Great thread; it by now has about as much direction as a drunken sailor, but it brings out wonderful layers of insanity, so all is good. Speaking of which, I am reading this at 5:45AM on a Saturday after several shots of good vodka, and laughing my...behind off at some of the flames. Home recordist here; no pretense to be a 'studio owner'.

But recording still adheres to the basics. Acoustics. Mic choice. Mic Placement. What you feed said gear..I just moved, and wired things up anew.

My new apartment is far better insulated as far as apartment-to-apartment insulation goes compared to my old place...that said, my walk-through closet (which is my only space for acoustic guitar/vocal recording) is next to the elevator shaft, and I do have to pay attention to the best times of day to lay down such tracks.

I have a Tascam 2488 DAW, but when I moved, I made a conscious decision to get back into analog and bought a Studer 807, so I now can mix and match as I please. But I am still at the mercy of that closet when it comes to tracking acoustic. The irony is that I have all the Auralex foam I had used in my previous closet, and I am trying to find a way to perhaps build some portable panels with the foam on them for control of the acoustics in there.

Because that's still step one....record it right, and you don't have to fix it in post. I am no genius when it comes to this, but that part always stuck with me.

There is a tune I got from a sampler included in a magazine called Mojo. The duo singing this is called Bright Eyes and the song is Landlocked. It sounds like it was recorded in someone's living room in West Virginia, with a brother and sister singing the song, room noise and all. And it works, very well. The song and the performance really hits you. Lo-Fi, sure, but it serves the tune, and brings the emotion.

The laws of physics can only be bent so much, when it comes to what our ears like or don't like. The listening standard has been on a steep decline for years, and the Ipod is just the latest incarnation. But it begs the question if we will ever 'resurface' in this regard, and have a true "hi-fi" resurrection, with The Masses actually caring beyond blowing their hearing on the Metro with their little horrible earbuds. I doubt it....

And with that, I will wait to see where this monster thread is going....LOL

C

Cosmic said:
Hi All,

I am trying to find a way to perhaps build some portable panels with the foam on them for control of the acoustics in there.

C
Just attach the auralex to some tag board, or maybe some masonite. Go down to home depot and look for something thin to mount it on. That way, you can hang it like a picture instead of glueing it to the wall.

BTW I think this thread has been dead for a couple weeks, I doubt this will help.

Cosmic said:
There is a tune I got from a sampler included in a magazine called Mojo. The duo singing this is called Bright Eyes and the song is Landlocked. It sounds like it was recorded in someone's living room in West Virginia, with a brother and sister singing the song, room noise and all. And it works, very well. The song and the performance really hits you. Lo-Fi, sure, but it serves the tune, and brings the emotion.

you should check out the saddle creek dvd. it has tons of shots of bright eyes in the studio and on tour, along with cursive, and all of the other saddle creek bands....it has some shots of them recording the slowdown virginia album (pre cursive) to a 38 in their parents laundry room like 15 years ago.

I dunno if this has already been mentioned here, but about the MAIN topic....

Some engineers retain high-end by, what esentially is "hocus-pocus." You can boost a high-end frequency band pre-tape, so that you have more than enough of it on tape, and then cut it to taste post-tape. That way, by the time you've overdubbed, and passed that tape across the heads a few hundred times, you haven't lost too much high end.

-callie-

Dr ZEE said:
Hah! For "DO IT RIGHT or Die"-guys the industry never wastes a day. So no worry! Guesswork is for suckers of the past :rolleyes:
First you get "educated" (brainwashed that is) ;), then you get THE PRODUCT YOU MUST HAVE ... (make sure to keep clicking on "click to continue" there :D - it'll show you the "magic" - it's beautiful :p ).
I was not joking, when I was talking about "some day the software will replace the recording engineer". The first phase of the transformation was already passed: engineers-artists/creators were "educated" and at large have been replaced by industry-professionals/career-engineers.

...anyways, it's kind of fun to watch all this happening :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

/respects

My GOD!! Those JBLs could cure impotence!

Back