Best Cassette tape?

AcousticMan

I know that the responses may vary here...ha ha..But what do you think the best tape for 4 track cassette rig is ? Barry

I don't know what the "Best" is or which is (Or was) perhaps considered to be the industry standard (If in fact there was / is one), but personally I've always liked the TDK SM's.

I usually track two or three songs to a 30 min. tape and the same for the mixdown.

I'm interested in trying some of the brands others here have found to be excellent as well.

:)

AcousticMan said:
I know that the responses may vary here...ha ha..But what do you think the best tape for 4 track cassette rig is ? Barry

Best cassette tape as in "still available" or "discontinued" ? If the former then I believe it's the TDK SM-X. Still available from tdk.com. The latter I read many who report that the SONY UX PRO was the best. Comments anyone ??

Daniel

PS: Oh yeah, before I forget, don't ever buy tape longer than 60 minutes. Stick to 60 min or less.

TDK

I agree, it's SM-X. Too bad TDK stopped making the 60-minute length. SA-X or just SA also produce great results. The tape in the SM-X and SA-X are the same, but the SM-X has improvements in the mechanism.

I've tried about everything there is/was since the early 80's in a Tascam 244 and then 246, which I still own. I did have some trouble with SA-X and high frequency dropouts some time in the mid-80's, so I switched to Denon HD7 for a few years. The current SA-X is just fine.

TDK always produced the best results on the narrow track cassette format. Reel-to-reel is another story, but as for cassette TDK rules in my opinion.

Tim :cool:

I got the below from a site (can't remember which one) and it's supposed to be a review of cassettes by Consumer Reports magazine. I don't know when these were done though. The SM-X was ommitted 'cause I suppose they were rating consumer and not pro tapes. What surprised me is that the TDK SA-X was rated better than the much praised Sony UX-Pro. Here are the results:

BRAND PRICE SCORE

TDK SA-X $3.75 87
FUJI DR-II $2.00 84
MAXELL XLIIS $3.25 83
SONY ES II $2.25 83
SONY UX TURBO $2.50 82
SONY UX-PRO $4.00 81
BASF CHROME $2.25 79
MAXELL XLII $2.75 79
FUJI FR-IIX $2.00 78
TDK SD $2.50 78
FUJI FR-IIXPRO $1.75 76
TDK SA $2.75 76
DENON HD6 $2.25 75
REALISTIC M-II $4.75 75
DENON S-PORT $2.25 74
REALISTIC HD $1.75 74
SONY ES II(100) $3.25 74
TDK SA (100) $2.75 74
3M BLACK WATCH $3.50 73
DENON HD8 $3.25 72
SONY CD it $2.00 72
SONY UX $2.75 71
DENON HD7 $3.00 69
MEMOREX HBS II $2.25 68

Re: TDK

Beck said:
I agree, it's SM-X. Too bad TDK stopped making the 60-minute length. SA-X or just SA also produce great results. The tape in the SM-X and SA-X are the same, but the SM-X has improvements in the mechanism.

I've tried about everything there is/was since the early 80's in a Tascam 244 and then 246, which I still own. I did have some trouble with SA-X and high frequency dropouts some time in the mid-80's, so I switched to Denon HD7 for a few years. The current SA-X is just fine.

TDK always produced the best results on the narrow track cassette format. Reel-to-reel is another story, but as for cassette TDK rules in my opinion.

Tim :cool:

What difference in sound quality did you observe between the TDK SA-X and the others .. as it especially relates to the 244 & 246, which I also own. I'm especially interested at the differences in quality between the Maxell XL-II and the TDK SA-X. Also, how, may I ask, do you know that the tape is the same on the TDK SA-X and the SM-X cassettes ?

Thanks,

Daniel

I have used and also sell many great recording tapes

I have used on my recordings many great tapes and I also sell them at my e bay store: ebaytape.com ;0}

Back