Best cassette tape?

jgreen

I need some 15 minute high quality, good sounding cassettes that won't break under repeated takes and rewinding. What brand would you suggest? Also, the tape I was using broke where the leader attaches. I had it repaired with splicing tape but the guy said I should transfer it to a new tape which would require mixing what I have onto CD and dumping that onto a new tape. Is that really necessary? Why would the repaired tape be less reliable than a new one? Thanks.

A properly spliced tape done with actual tape designed for splicing and not just regular scotch tape, should hold up for a decent amount of time and plays so long as the deck its playing on has a decent transport system that doesn't adversely pull on the tape when it comes to a stop. Considering though that the tape got damaged in the first place suggests that deck is not that gentle as most tapes, even C-120's don't snap like that unless the tape itself was defective in the first place.

About suggesting other tapes to use, that depends on the deck that will be playing it. Was this a Portastudio deck? Those can only use chrome, type II cassettes. More info is needed on your end about that.

Cheers! :)

A properly spliced tape done with actual tape designed for splicing and not just regular scotch tape, should hold up for a decent amount of time and plays so long as the deck its playing on has a decent transport system that doesn't adversely pull on the tape when it comes to a stop. Considering though that the tape got damaged in the first place suggests that deck is not that gentle as most tapes, even C-120's don't snap like that unless the tape itself was defective in the first place.

About suggesting other tapes to use, that depends on the deck that will be playing it. Was this a Portastudio deck? Those can only use chrome, type II cassettes. More info is needed on your end about that.

Thanks for the info. It's a Tascam 424 MK11 Portastudio. The tape may have broken due to the unusually high number of takes I required to get the lead guitar track done. I've never come close to so many takes and rewinds so my guess is that it isn't the recorder. Still, after all that work I should play it safe. Luckily it broke at the leader instead of during a track and if it broke there again I could repair it. The guy did use splicing tape. I guess I just hate to hook up the CD recorder (which has it's own problems) and mix down just 2 tracks and dump them onto a new tape. I'm becoming burnt out on the whole thing but can't give it up. I'm almost willing to take a chance on the repaired tape because the remaining tracks should not take many passes.

OK.

Well, if you do decide to do the transfer, a TDK SA-X60 or a Maxell XL IIS 60 would be about the best you could find without too much effort. Those would give you 15 minutes of recording time on a double speed Portastudio.

Agree with TGOFM. I've used Maxell XL IIS 60 minute tapes with good results. I haven't noticed a difference between WHERE the tape is made (or what era), but all the Maxell XL IIS tapes have been very good. I've also used a 90 minute TDK SA-X (live recording on a Tascam 238, had to use the longer tape....worked well). These were high end tapes and will serve you well.

FYI, don't try to get fancy and use a metal or Type IV tape. The Tascams are adjusted to use Type II high bias tapes.

Thanks guys. Do you know where I can buy new the tapes you recommended online? Are they still being made?

No more TDK or Maxell being made, but plenty of it out there.

I agree TDK SA-X and Maxell XLIIS are the top choices, with TDK SA and Maxell XLII being close seconds and really more than adequate. From my early days of portastudio use starting with the Tascam 144 I was a TDK man. Most of my early stuff is on SA and SA-X and sounds as good as the day it was recorded. All those early tapes were made in Japan, but I've found the later stuff made elsewhere to be just as good.

You can find them on eBay in spades, but don't pay too much! There is no cassette tape shortage to justify what some sellers are asking. There is plenty of new-old-stock sealed tape for the foreseeable future. $5.00 or more per tape is highway robbery $3.00 per tape is closer to fair, but if we were going by traditional supply and demand then $2.00 per tape is more like it. Just don't get ripped off! Prices vary greatly among sellers. Also pay attention to shipping and factor in total cost. A higher asking price but free shipping can obviously be a better deal.

60-minute length is best for performance and longevity, but 90-minute is not far behind. I've used plenty of 90 and 60 minute, but nothing longer because the tape gets too thin at longer lengths. Even if it doesn't break it will stretch and reduce the quality of the recording over time... especially multitracking with a lot of shuttling back and forth. So IMO make 90-minute your max.

You'll see sellers wanting more for older tape made in Japan. Skip that "Collectors Item" scene, unless you see a good deal and save some bucks. The Maxell assembled in Mexico is excellent. I've used a lot of it. The TDK made in Korea and the UK is also top notch stuff.

Set the search for USA only or wherever you are. Even shipping cost from Canada has made buying tape there a no go for me. It's more than doubled in the last few years.

Copy and past the following in the eBay search box.

(TDK, Maxell) (SA, SAX, SA-X, XL, XLII, XL-II, XLIIS, XLII-S)

Then change the sorting of results from "Best Match" to "Newly Listed" near top right.

You can also just google the tape types for other sources like Amazon, Craigslist, etc.

Attachments

• Polaroid POL-C90M.jpg
    Polaroid POL-C90M.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 137

Amazon.com: Polaroid High Bias C-90 Minute Audio Cassette Tape 10pk: Electronics

Here's another link for newly made Polaroid. However, these are just labeled C90 & not designated with model number C90M (M probably stands for music) & doesn't say "super high bias" (which is more of a marketing term than a technical one). Chances are it's the same tape in a slightly different label. These are the ones I got,... this style package, not the other ones. Differences are likely only cosmetic. Shipping cost is stated outright, so per item price is $1.90. Still reasonable.

So that's 2 sources of newly made high bias cassette tape. Admittedly, not a wide field but it's there if you want it.
:spank::eek:;)

Attachments

• Polaroid C90.jpg
    Polaroid C90.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 353
Almost forgot... on another note regarding your predicament with the broken tape:

It would be best if you could beg or borrow another Tascam portastudio, any model 244 and above with dbx and runs at the speed you recorded that tape. Then you'll have a 1-1 transfer... only one generation. Recording to digital and then back to your 424 is ok, but best as a plan B if no other options.

And whether or not you want to risk continuing to work with the original tape, it just makes good sense to make a safety copy. If that tape has broken once it may break again in a different place, and as I mentioned before, tapes stretch before they break, so the tape may continue to deteriorate with or without breaking. You didn't mention what kind of tape you have, but I'm guessing it's a longer length than 90 minute if it broke... unless just some freak event or defective tape. I've never had a TDK, Maxell or other high grade cassette tape break in all my years. I've heard tell of it though.

I came across a 10 tape box of TDK Professional Master High Bias SM-X20 for $20 at amazon. The reviews are good but nowhere does it say either Chrome or Type 11. I like the short length but I'm concerned about the lack of Chrome or Type 11 designation. Anyone know about the compatibility with my Tascam 424 MK11? Also, does still sealed old stock deteriorate?

Thanks, but what about Chrome. I thought that was a must?

Chromium Dioxide was is a trade mark name and belonged to BASF. Other manufacturers were legally barred from called their tapes that and had to use the "CrO2" or "CO" designation. It shortly thereafter just became easier to call it type II or high bias because of the same bias and eq settings as BASF's formulation.

Companies like Maxell came up with their own silly name, "Epitaxial", but no one ever went into a store and said "I want Epitaxial tapes!" ...without getting laughed out of the store that is. :D

I came across a 10 tape box of TDK Professional Master High Bias SM-X20 for $20 at amazon. The reviews are good but nowhere does it say either Chrome or Type 11. I like the short length but I'm concerned about the lack of Chrome or Type 11 designation. Anyone know about the compatibility with my Tascam 424 MK11? Also, does still sealed old stock deteriorate?

TDK SM-X is SA-X in an allegedly better super smooth cassette mechanism. I was going to mention the SM series, but they usually go for a lot more money. Looks like you got a good deal, but yeah only 5 mins max recording time on the high speed you should be using on the 424. Hopefully everyone knows to use that speed. :)

Crap, I came to the party too late. Still, here's what I think:

For the last year or so I've been recording using three different cassette tapes which are still available new. There is the Polaroid tapes already mentioned, and also two different formulations from National Audio Company. I believe their tape stock is from BASF? It might be worth looking into, I've found that their 771 tape seems to accept a higher signal than Polaroid, and works fine in my Tascam 244. Audio Pro Professional Chrome Master 60 Minute Cassette

It also is the best deal for buying new tape, at least that I have been able to find.

Yeah,...

Those look good. I may have to try them some day. I've read similar positive reviews on the 771s at tapeheads.net
I may have read you over there too.

Those look good. I may have to try them some day. I've read similar positive reviews on the 771s at tapeheads.net
I may have read you over there too.

I dunno, I thought I only lurked over there, it's been a while though... ;D

I was planning on using Maxell XLII-60/90 tapes for my own personal use and getting a good quantity of NAC/BASF 771 for recording other people, but I'm finding the 771 tape is working so well I might just hold off on opening any of my Maxell stock. So far I'm recording multitracks for my all-electronic album primarily on 771 tape. :)

Back