Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Benefit of using Inserts as Direct Outs? (With 8 Track Tape Recorder)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmorris View Post
    Are you sure? The basic A8 is a 2-head 15ips machine, I'd be a little surprised if the A8LR was that different, especially since the head is pretty much the most expensive part. If you do need a machine for parts, (and you are in the UK) my A8 is sitting in a box somewhere.
    Just found the manual for the A8LR and it would seem there were two versions! So I have got the 7.5IPS model - still only 2 heads though. Bummer.
    vdocuments-site_fostex-a8-a8lr-owners-manual-jpg

Thanks

Exclamation No

Running a signal to/from a 2 head deck will not give you off-tape saturation, or any tape effects in real time. It is simply running the signal to the input op amps, thru to the output op amps, and therefore is a wasted loop in the signal chain with added components.

The reason you'd want a mixer and a tape deck like this is to record directly to tape.

Any tape saturation or tape artifcacts would be derived in playback mode only, after the original signal is printed to tape. It must be recorded first, rewound and played back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob
    ... subtleties of sound make a difference to those who really listen.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A Reel Person View Post
    Running a signal to/from a 2 head deck will not give you off-tape saturation, or any tape effects in real time. It is simply running the signal to the input op amps, thru to the output op amps, and therefore is a wasted loop in the signal chain with added components.

The reason you'd want a mixer and a tape deck like this is to record directly to tape.

Any tape saturation or tape artifcacts would be derived in playback mode only, after the original signal is printed to tape. It must be recorded first, rewound and played back.

Yep, fully aware of that. Plan is to record to tape (and record a clean version straight into Logic), then record the tape playback into Logic.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by olbean View Post
    Yep, fully aware of that. Plan is to record to tape (and record a clean version straight into Logic), then record the tape playback into Logic.
    Do not like the term "saturation" when applied to tape, valves, transistors or transformers since it implies a total ceasing of all parameters i.e. zero gain and in the case of transformers, blown fuses! But I freely admit it to be a lost cause like that mathematical absurdity "rms" watts so I shall whinge no more!

But! There is a huge number of variables in producing a tape "Mildly Distorted Sound" shall we say (catchy huh?) . If you are trying to emulate the early Beatles stuff e.g. then you don't have the same machines, same tape formulation (all sticky dust now?) no idea how it was biased, the levels used and you are probably using a different recording EQ! (CCIR & NAB were a problem when I was using tape).

The bottom line here is that it is probably AS economic to buy tape hard or software emulation? Bloody sight less hassle!

Dave.

Thanks
    Just thought Iíd post a quick update that Iíve got both machines up and running and iím getting exactly the results I wanted. Iíve recorded some jams direct to tape and the sounds are so inspiring. Not only is the process much more involved and enjoyable (actually having to think about where I want to route things instead of Logic doing it all for me) but itís so much more rewarding this way and these vintage vibes definitely canít be recreated digitally. I think both machines are going to become pretty good friends of mine!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Thanks
    Glad you're happy with them! The extra effort does seem to make the end product more rewarding...

Thread Information