belt keeps falling off in my vestax 4-track.

flybynight93

I believe its called the capstan belt, connecting the motor to tape drive. Its an old vestax 4-track. I replaced the old belt recently, which got the thing functioning, but now every few minutes, after recording playing f-fowarding rewinding and then stopping, the belt slips off. It looks as though the belt is slightly un-aligned with the smooth silver metal wheel, most likely causing my problems. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Would really have to see it. The belt wouldn't necessarily have to track in the exact middle of the capstan pulley, and I can't imagine the bearing wearing that much. Is the belt the correct size? It can't be too tight or too loose. Has anyone bent any thing holding the motor or capstan? Are the motor mounts worn, or maybe old rubber that's collapsing? I'm not at all familiar with that brand. If you think it's out of alignment, then you'll just have to do whatever it takes to re-align it. Is it worth messing with? :confused:

I remember those machines a little bit. They had a short push at the market in the mid 80's, after TASCAM and Fostex had a solid foothold on the landscape.

I'd be curious to know where you got the replacement belt from and question the authenticity and fit of the replacement. Like a serpentine belt in a Chevy, if the fit ain't right, ugly things can happen in the middle of no where. All of this assuming no other parts are bent or misaligned or plain old worn?

Are you comfortable under the hood of that beast?

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
I remember those machines a little bit. They had a short push at the market in the mid 80's, after TASCAM and Fostex had a solid foothold on the landscape.

Cheers! :)
As I recall, they were the cheap answer to the Yamaha 4 tracks. I didn't want one when I was considering the Yamaha. I ended up buying a used 8 track Fostex reel to reel. Still have it. That was 1990.

yeah I'd love to know what the vestax MR200's were going for in their day. I have decided that it isn't worth too much effort- or at least it's been a big turnoff for my first venture into music recording: I bought a Fostex MR-8 digital 8 track on ebay for $150. I would like the warm and fuzzy sound of a reel to reel for recording bands and my own ideas, but lack of funds and only so much ambition to lend to projects has directed me here. I'm gonna try to create old sound through the digital recorder and we'll see how it goes.
I bought a belt kit (about seven bands, all the most popular sizes) on some audio video website. The old belt had fallen off and was way too loose. I put on a looser belt and a tighter one; both it seems fall off. I didn't notice much difference in sound, though I'm playing regular tapes through it which all sound weird as they play backwards though i have recorded a couple tracks and used those and thing sound fine. No one has tweeked with anything except me. I'll play with it again if any sages here come up with a good suggestion for me. til then its about waiting for the digital goods to arrive in the mail.

Looks like the Vesta lost it's Fire! More like Vesta-Misfire! Heh!

One thing is certain,... the belt will never fall off the MR-8! ;) :eek:

Back