Thread: Basic questions about Oscilloscope, DeMag, MRL..

Thanks

Basic questions about Oscilloscope, DeMag, MRL..

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi all. I've recently picked up an Oscilloscope and am wondering what to do with it. I picked it up because I know you check head azimuth with it, but what else does this thing do? I still need to download the manual for it and dive in but I was wondering what you guys use yours for(if ya got'em)? Can I just make a XLR or TRS cable for this so that it hooks up to my deck? I know absolutely nothing about them other than i should have one and know what it does.

Second question I have, has anyone here used the Short MRL Test/Reference tapes? The tones on them are 50 100 1k 10k and 16k, and the tapes are available for $299.99 on eBay, is there anywhere that you guys know of to get test tapes cheaper?

I also, have a Teac E-3 Hand D-Mag. Is this an adequate demagnetizer to use on a Tascam MS-16 and an MCI-JH110B or should I get something like the 'Han-D-Mag'?

Thank you guys for any input or advice you can offer!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Make and model number PLEASE! Is it dual input? If so then yes, it can be used to set azimuth and get track phase spot on.

Other than that it will not be a of great use except perhaps for signal tracing if you have a fault. A scope is of most use attached to the AUX output of a good milliVoltmeter when it can be a check that signals are not clipping.

Do not forget that a scope shows you peak to peak values, not rms.

Dave.

Thanks
    What size tape deck? (width) Get a test tape direct from MRL or JRF Magnetics. I just bought one of the four tone 1/2" 15 ips from JRF Magnetics. It's $145. here's the price list: http://www.mrltapes.com/pub043+lf.pdf

Thanks
    There are also quite different specs for scope suitable for audio frequencies to scopes for RF - plus loads of different types that can also act as generators - so they can produce a tone, and then superimpose what your tape deck has done to it - like wow and flutter. It's quite a shock to see two sine waves that should be locked together drifting and having a major panic, then doing the maths and discovering the speed drift is incredibly low, but just looks terrible. Reading the damn things can be almost magic.

The advances in SDR technology have made RF alignment and investigation a lot easier to do - I wonder if there is an audio version of these things (Software Defined Radio) as the various display modes would make frequency response and unwanted artefacts much easier to read.

You can use a scope in audio systems to see harmonics, phase errors, and if you have any synth VSTIs or even real ones, you can understand what the controls actually do. You can measure accurately, and you can compare two things on a dual trace machine. If it lets you, you can also use left and right inputs to show the deviation away from mono. The left moving the trace horizontally and the right moving the trace vertically. A mono signal is a straight diagonal line. As soon as any width to the stereo field appears you see the line thicken and change. With practice you can even see polarity and phase errors. L and R with one accidentally inverted produces a circle not a straight line. Look up Lissajous Curves on the net. You will also then see familiar images from sci fi movies and old Doctor Who episodes. In the 70s, I used my Ferrograph 722HD reel to reel recorder which had loudspeaker outputs to drive the scan coils on a domestic TV - I just cut the X and Y inputs and connected the to the tape recorder and the results on the screen were wild!

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Rob, did you ever go as far as feeding audio into the de-gauss coil? Add that to your scan coil drive and get crazy colours!

Hmm? Whatever happened to "Chromasonics" ?

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Whitley View Post

I also, have a Teac E-3 Hand D-Mag. Is this an adequate demagnetizer to use on a Tascam MS-16 and an MCI-JH110B or should I get something like the 'Han-D-Mag'?
    According to the review at

TEAC E3 Head Demagnetiser (RM May 93)

your demagnetiser should be OK for those machines although the Annis Han-D-Mag looks like a more powerful device.
    JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration
    http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Thread Information