Basic ohmage question.

Well I 'could' outfit my car with a hippety hop, boom boom, make your doors fall off, sound system and play bass in the the car.

It might sound like shit, but would be portable. ;)

But only for parking lot gigs.
:D

Last night I was at a friends house and he produced a practical wireless magazine from 1962 and inside was a DIY guitar amplifier circuit and guide. All tube of course and the what people were knocking up at home. Nowadays very few people would have the skills or even equipment to do this. Shame really. Building the things was really educational and although nobody bothered back then, the scope to change your sound was immense by component substitution.

Back in the early 1970, very early, I made my own crystal radio. I just thought it was the best thing I'd ever done when the sound came out of it.

Alan

Although there is some resurgence in DIY, I think for the most part nowadays people just want things done for them. And they want it now! And they want it cheap!

However, its also my belief, and may seem contrary to my previous statement, that we live in a golden age of DIY. There are more resources than ever before, and more people are into it.
But as massive as the DIY movement is, it's a very small percentage of the population.
The vast majority are as described in my first sentence. :)

My first major DIY project was a Heathkit solid state version of a Fender Twin Reverb.

I went to their headquarters in Chicago, brought it home and stayed up all night building it. By 7am the next morning I was playing it.

Then I went to sleep......all day :D

I remember, every magazine that a kid would be interested in always had some kind of "Build your own ______" ads in the back.
Schools were even very supportive of DIY.

Building stuff was pretty mainstream. Now it's niche market.

Although there is some resurgence in DIY, I think for the most part nowadays people just want things done for them. And they want it now! And they want it cheap!

However, its also my belief, and may seem contrary to my previous statement, that we live in a golden age of DIY. There are more resources than ever before, and more people are into it.
But as massive as the DIY movement is, it's a very small percentage of the population.
The vast majority are as described in my first sentence. :)

My first major DIY project was a Heathkit solid state version of a Fender Twin Reverb.

I went to their headquarters in Chicago, brought it home and stayed up all night building it. By 7am the next morning I was playing it.

Then I went to sleep......all day :D

I remember, every magazine that a kid would be interested in always had some kind of "Build your own ______" ads in the back.
Schools were even very supportive of DIY.

Building stuff was pretty mainstream. Now it's niche market.

I blame The Movies! Electricity is always shown as a great shower of sparks when something goes wrong. Can happen of course if you put an axe thru a pole pig but domestic and especially audio electronics is pretty safe if you take sensible precautions.

WRT to the suggestion of a car woofer? Caveat whatsit of course but a cheap, usable diver might be found at a car boot say? The "One note boom bass of Subaru Man is I suspect more to do with poor enclosure design and programme source than any shortcoming in the driver? ICE amps have come on a piece you know? 100 watts CAN be real watts, many amps use SMPSUS to up convert 12V and use local one FARAD capacitors!

Dave.

Ok this really doesn't have a lot to do with Ohmage or the original question ...but..somewhere in this thread someone asked what dictates the ohmage of a speaker... I found this demonstration of resistance with a copper coil and a magnet fascinating and it kind of relates to a speaker I.E. magnet and voice coil...pretty cool stuff..

The coil / magnet demo starts @ 1:50 in the video

Back