azimuth and alignment

Eric Altizer

I just started making open reel transfers to digital files for archiving using my Akai GX-4000D. I clean and demag the heads regularly. The playback sounds great on this machine but I was still wondering if everthing is aligned properly and if I should get it serviced.

Should I check and adjust the azimuth/alignment or just leave well enough alone? How do you check the azimuth? How often should a tape machine be cleaned and oiled?

The service manual, shows you how to align the heads, how far etc.. If it sounds great, then chances are you are still good as I found out recently..

fine tuning

Very good sound. Sometimes I wonder if these tape machines need to be fine tuned every once in a while. I mean, this machine is over twenty five years old. I have the owner's manual. Now it's time to get the service manual.

Yeah for sure, more often then not the orignal settings are fine unless they have been played with. You will notice on the screws around the tape adjustments a red paint like substance (its actually a type of nail polish, you'll see it in either red or green). This holds the screws in place quite well, but also allowing you to adjust them if need be.

I have an older machine, and the main things for me were, a good head cleaner, rubber cleaner/restorer for the pinch roller, and a new belt set.

The service manual shows you how to apply all of that, best 10 bucks I ever spent!
(off ebay)

Maybe I will epoxy those screws in place so I don't ever have to worry about it :D I use water to clean the pinch roller and it amazes me how much iron oxide comes off of it. :eek:

DO NOT EPOXY THE SCREWS IN!!!!!

They Are adjustable for a reason, plus if you do wish to check the tape alignment it isn't that difficult.
Get an alignment tape...

My Name said:
DO NOT EPOXY THE SCREWS IN!!!!!

They Are adjustable for a reason, plus if you do wish to check the tape alignment it isn't that difficult.
Get an alignment tape...

This is true, but we don't know what his recordings are. If they were studio-made, the tapes should have alignment tones at the start of the recording anyway (which might be different from a properly-lined-up machine).
If they are home recordings made on lots of different machines, they probably won't be lined up properly at all.. they won't have test tones and each tape will probably be different anyway.

But yes, if you are planning to make new recordings, get an alignment tape.

jpmorris said:
This is true, but we don't know what his recordings are. If they were studio-made, the tapes should have alignment tones at the start of the recording anyway (which might be different from a properly-lined-up machine).
If they are home recordings made on lots of different machines, they probably won't be lined up properly at all.. they won't have test tones and each tape will probably be different anyway.

But yes, if you are planning to make new recordings, get an alignment tape.

Yes they are home recordings made on different tapes without test tones. They are also at different speeds, 1 7/8, 3.75 and 7.5.

I was just kidding about the epoxy :)

Where would I buy an alignment tape and how much does it cost?
Would I still need an oscilloscope and a multi meter?

Unless you have and know how to use an osilascope there is not much you are going to do with a tape to adjust the azimuth and alignment.

Back