Audio-Technica AT-RMX64 Cassette 4 Track

ltemma74

Hello all,

Great forum!

So...I've had it with my DAW. All the options have been stifling my creativity and taking me away from playing music so I'm getting back to basics. A AT-RXM64 cassette 4 track will be arriving at my doorstep in about one week. It appears to be about as "professional" a cassette 4 as there is so I went for it.

I've done several searches and there's very little information out there about this unit. Most comments are general or cryptic. Wondering if there's anyone with experience out there who would be willing to provide some insight. Strengths? Weaknesses? Tips? Suggestions? How are the preamps? What should I expect? Etc.

Thanks!
Len

Last edited:
I almost bought one, locally, at one time but it was in bad shape.

The AT is basically a very well built machine, which uses almost no plastic and is very heavy, 30 - 40lb+ approx. I believe it has XLR's for mics and either Dolby B or C, at double speed (and maybe even selectable for normal speed too). It's probably direct drive (no capstan belt) and overall should sound incredible. The problem, as you've found, is that it's not a very well known product, thus support is weak, including any parts from the manufacturer. At the same time, it should pretty much be bulletproof if it's in good condition. I just hope the seller packed it well. No joke.

Clean the heads with 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol (and q-tips) and check the rubber pinch roller for unusual degradation, ooze or hardness. It may need to be either replaced or restored with a rubber conditioner. If it uses rubber idler wheels then those too may need some help.

If you have any specific questions or are getting problems, once you receive the recorder, ask away but be aware that many of us don't have direct experience with this model. You should also think about getting a service manual for this deck.

well unfortunately I can't provide you with any insight.. but from what I could find on the net that thing looks pretty cool... like a casette 388, I'm interested in hearing what you make with it... seems like a pretty serious unit. Good luck with it!

Yeah, pretty serious is right. I've checked now and the thing weighs 50LB!! How's that for a cassette 4 track!:eek::D

Yeah, pretty serious is right. I've checked now and the thing weighs 50LB!! How's that for a cassette 4 track!:eek::D

That's pretty gnarly, especially as I'm thinking that I read my a-2340 weighs around 45. The thing must be a real beast of a cassette machine:D! and yet without any knowledge of the sound that comes out of it I can't help but find myself wanting one....

Functionally it is quite close to the Tascam 246, though the 246 has dbx, but no XLR's, and is belt drive (more plastic too).

Definitely keep the thread up because many of us would like to know more about it.

Thanks everyone for the input so far.

I won it on eBay, item number 120479078057. You can check completed auctions for the pictures. I paid way too much but I don't care. It's 50 lbs. and has custom wood sides for crying out loud! If I get a few songs out of it then it will be worth it because I'm in a pathetic rut right now.

I don't have any real experience maintaining reel or cassette machines. Can someone direct me to a primer on maintenance and care? Pictures and videos would be most helpful as I don't even know what the "head" is or how to clean it.

cjacek - thanks for the manual offer. I have already downloaded the original manual and specification sheet from the internet. The seller says that the original manual and box is included in the deal so I'm set on that. If you have the service manual, I would love to see it.

Can't wait to get something recorded on it! I will be sure to share it with y'all. Great community here! :D

I bought one new back in the mid 80s after I sold the Otari 4-track (which was, of course, a mistake!) I really liked working with it. Eventually I also got a Tascam 388, which I then used a lot for about a decade, so the AT didn't see so much use and I sold it to a friend (who oddly enough now happens to be our state's Attorney General).

I really liked the mixer and the cassette part did about as well as cassettes do. It had both Dolby B and C. IIRC, 4-track record and play was at double speed and it could do standard 2-track record and play at normal speed. Also had a pitch control knob with a pretty decent range, like maybe 15% or so.

Cheers,

Otto

Wow, what a cool unit! I'd never heard of it until this thread. I can't imagine a 4-track cassette recorder weighing 50 lbs! I'm very interested to hear the results from it. Have fun with that thing! :)

Update

The unit arrived but isn't functioning properly. One of the channels is out; a second channel is having problems. Definitely not as described. The channel that is tied to the playback of the first track. Total bummer! I wonder if there's anyone in the SF Bay Area who could fix it. Does anybody know anyone???

The unit arrived but isn't functioning properly. One of the channels is out; a second channel is having problems. Definitely not as described. The channel that is tied to the playback of the first track. Total bummer! I wonder if there's anyone in the SF Bay Area who could fix it. Does anybody know anyone???

dude sorry to hear that man... If you aren't opposed to opening it up yourself I would take a look inside and see if something obvious didn't occur during shipping, eg something disconnected or a broken board. Depending on what you find in there you may be able to fix it yourself or have a friend who's handy take a shot. If nothing is obviously wrong maybe contact the seller or file a dispute and try to get your money back.

Sorry to hear that. :(

How well was it packed?

Have you looked at the heads yet? Even a tiny amount of oxide or dirt on a head can reduce the level to nil...get a good flashilight and a magnifying glass if you have one and look, look, look.

Can you get any sound when you tweak knobs rapidly like the level or trim knobs? Can you record? (can the meter see the input on channel one and then can you see the meter move on playback of that channel so confirm something is there?

Is there a tape direct out jack for track one and can you hook that up to something and see if there is audio on the track, just not getting through the channel strip?

Experiment...get an assesment of what all works/does not work and what you are able and not able to do and then let us know. At the very least it'll help us hone in on what the problem area is.

here's a pic of one. i'm impressed!
cass_002.jpg

huh! nice ashtray, there.:eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
We think it was damaged during shipping so I filed a claim with UPS and they are "inspecting" it and will let me know what the deal is. I will let y'all know what happens. Back to the DAW... :mad:

Thanks for all the help!

Yup, I know I will come off sounding like a jack ass, a broken record but I was pretty sure that it was going to be damaged in shipping. That's why I mentioned it in a previous post above. I continually plead with people on this issue but I guess no one will learn until we destroy all but a few of those beautiful machines through our ignorance. Such a shame and.... more to come, I am certain of that.:rolleyes:

ltemma74:

This machine is one of the best cassette 4-tracks ever made. It was the only multitrack machine I had for my first 5 years of writing and recording my own music -- and I wasn't doing acoustic demos, I was going for the full-on, finished "record-quality" approach.

With its additional channels and aux send/returns, there's not a lot you can't do on that thing within 4 tracks of tape. (And I bounced on that thing until the cows came home, doing 8 part + dbl'd lead vox acapella arrangements with up to 28 voices!) The sweepable hi EQ goes upwards of 16KHz or something (tho I think it says 10KHz), and the lows go down deep, below 60Hz. You can get loads of wonderful analog air out of those EQ's. And most importantly, NO awful, overly severe, mix-chewing DBXII NR. The Dolby C on my particular machine always tracked a little less than 100% on playback (decoding), so that sweet forwardness you get from boosting the input gain from the tape on an external Dolby NR unit always showed up to give me that extra creamy presence through the mids and upper mids -- a truly wonderful thing, a real mix polisher. Mastering my recordings through an old ART EQ, mainly boosting the 12KHz by 2dB and 16KHz by 6dB, was almost magic. When it's running up to spec, you're gonna love it.

Now, about getting it to spec. You can see that the mixer faceplate is a big panel that's basically square. Remove the faders' knobs and the 8 screws around its periphery and it will lift right off. From there, if I remember correctly, you can clearly see and access any parts that may be causing problems. If you can find anyone who works on mixers of any kind, this one is simpler than most, and I believe most of the parts should be easy to replace (though that may be my own wishful thinking to some degree. I know I did fix a couple of mixer issues myself along the way).

The parts that are proprietary to the machine are the cassette mechanism and the transport buttons -- and those will break if you press them too hard (i.e., out of frustration when they no longer go into record mode because they're dirty, grr! But I digress). On my machine, the rewind belt got looser and looser until it wouldn't rewind anymore; I had to remove the cassette cover and keep a ball-point pen handy to rewind the tape manually for short runs (and flip it over and f-fwd for longer runs). It's a shame the cassette mechanism as a whole didn't seem to be up to par with the rest of the machine's build quality... or maybe I was just that hard on it. Either way, the cassette mech's speed (more or less the most important thing about a cassette mech) was ROCK solid at either speed (unlike my Tascam 488 whose awful jitter made everything sound like it was playing on a speaker behind a big fan, that piece of crap). Belts and buttons may be hard to replace, but if your machine has relatively low hours, this may not be an issue for you.

Those early mixes from my RMX64 days were simpler and the arrangements less elaborate than what I do now, but as a whole, I'm still proud of the way they sound, and I can't say that for my mixes from any of the machines that followed this one (in order): Tascam 488, Alesis ADAT, Roland VS-880.

All that said, I think the Yamaha MD-8 shows up on eBay now and then for around $120-$150, and it sounds pretty great, too... for cheap & easy digital, anyway.

Speaking of prices, there's an AT-RMX64 on eBay right now for *gulp* $650!! Ridiculous. Obviously I won't be bidding on it. But I do still have all my 3.75IPS 4-track 'master' tapes from this machine, and I'd really love to be able to archive them into ProTools... Yamaha had a few Dolby-C 3.75IPS machines in the mid-late 80's, but they're as rare as hens' teeth. Mind if I ask what you ended up paying for your RMX64?

Best to all,
Robert

Robert - thank you very much for your post! With shipping, the grand total was an even $300.

Here are the first two problems I discovered as I recall them:

1. Channel 1 does not pass signal. It's extremely quiet (barely audible with all levels cranked) through the XLR input or playback on track 1. So it's essentially a 3 track recorder.

2. Neither Channel 1 nor Channel 2 route to sub 1 consistently. It's like there's a problem with the connection and it goes in and out, particularly sub 1. You need to twist knobs and flip switches in order to get it to engage, but then it goes out again.

There may be other problems. I haven't tested the unit fully yet.

The unit appeared to function OK otherwise, though. The transport works fine and the lights work. The noise floor is a bit high and the pots are a bit scratchy. I have a feeling that most of these problems are due to age and it probably wasn't damaged during shipping. But what do I know.

UPS ultimately rejected the shipping claim so either I fix it or return it to the seller. Seller has offered $250 if I return it. But then I'd be out $100 (after paying another $50 to ship it back) for the pleasure of informing the seller that his 4 track is broken. That's ridiculous and of course I can do better. I'm going to try to fix it but I wouldn't know what to do in there. Hopefully I can find someone in the Bay Area who's able to fix it cheaply. If not, I will deal with the seller.

Last edited:
thing

One thing to consider, if you are dead set on recording on an analog 4 track cassette machine, you will most likely want to have it checked out no matter what. Its a shame that this one you have has more problems than most, but its hard to say how "broken" it really is.

Basically my point is this... ive never gotten an analog recorder from any source that arrived perfect. No matter how well they supposedly work they always arrive needing all new rubber, lubricating, cleaning, calibration, fixing etc. You may want to just realize that you are going to always need to fix your machine to some degree. Maybe you could just consider this one as an investment and pay to get it fixed fully. It may end up costing you more than you originally thought, but at least youll have a reliable recorder in the end.

Consider that if you sold this one or returned it, there is no telling if the next one you buy will be any better condition wise, even if it arrives working perfectly. Sometimes recorders show up decently functioning and then after a few weeks of being back in daily service they start to really show their age/lack of maintenance. So it MAY be better just to realize youve got something good there, and put your effort into restoration. Searching endlessly for a machine that requires no upkeep that you bought off ebay is nearly impossible.

But all of this is just my experience with buying analog stuff. Maybe some other people here bought things off ebay and had no problems with them ever. If i were you id consider restoring it or at least getting somone to look at it and give a repair quote.

Other than that the thing looks awesome, it really is like a cassette 388 in appearance.

Back