Audio interface VS CD recorder mixdown tascam 388

What is everyone's preference? I understand the pros and cons already. I'd rather not mix in DAW and just have straight audio (what I hear out of monitors while using standalone 388) then have to try and control output on 388 to work with an audio interface that's gonna color sound with its preamps.

Curious to what everyone does on here?

I always use a Tascam CD-RW 700 Cd recorder. Straight out of the 388 into the recorder. I can't really compare it to an interface as I have never owned one. But I probably will get one soon.
The CD recorder works great. And it's nice a simple.

...with an audio interface that's gonna color sound with its preamps.

Ahhh...just don't go through the preamps. :)
Any decent audio interface should have a Line Input, which bypasses the preamps.
If everything is always running through the pres...I would consider a different interface.

The advantage of mixing into a DAW is that you can then apply mastering to the mix...and you have options for adjusting your fade in/out points and the timing between cuts...etc....and you can then save that final mix file and burn many identical CDs off that one file.

With one-off mixes straight to CD, that's good for...well, one-off mixes...like a final check before formal mixing/mastering etc.
Granted...you can then make copies of the CD...but you miss out on the other edit/mastering options you get with a DAW.

Hey...whatever works for you. ;)

I get the idea of 'sniffing' what comes out of the mixer going to the monitors, but my stand alone cd recorder gets little use now because it does have a slight impact on the sound. I stay in the computer, and the mix goes to sony sound forge for final editing of the top and tail, and perhaps some level adjustment to make each track sit well with those before and after. I then add the meta data in another sony product and then burn the master with this. At every stage, I'm still listening on the same amp and monitor and it sound the same. I can't see me changing this.

If you stay in the computer, or route back into the interface, your mixes can be saved at 24 bit. With a cd recorder, they can only ever be 16 bit.

Back