this auction is ended. (gotta see those sheves!)

Yes, nice amp. Was watching that auction for a few days. Those sellers do have quite an interesting collection.

Anecdote: Back in the mid-1970s a friend of mine, the service manager for the local McIntosh dealer, showed me a couple of MC275 amps that he had bought for his church. Got them for $150 each (!), and they were in immaculate condition, like the one in the auction above. Back then they represented a good value as the newer and much more expensive solid-state amps were the hot and high-priced ones. Who'd have ever guessed $4050.00 for a MC 275?

N7SC said:
Back then they represented a good value as the newer and much more expensive solid-state amps were the hot and high-priced ones.
huh! do you mean, you'd get them as value entery level pack of two :) ?!?
hmmmm. where is that time-machine? take me back, baby, take me back - for a couple of days before christamas ... also, as I go I would not want to see THIS FACE anywhere there :D

Hey, guys, while 'bout tubes 'n retro in christmasy mood...
check this out ... :), also will give you an alternative idea on micing :D

Santa! I promise to be good.

SteveMac said:
Speaking of tubes. Any recommendations on a good tube preamp? I wonder if something like this could smooth and fatten up a mix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-50s-AMPEX-350-Tube-Magnetic-Recorder-Preamp_W0QQitemZ5842892322QQcategoryZ119020QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Start new thread with this. Some guys around here may know something.
I personally have no practical idea. All my lil experience is limited by dealing with couple of tube guitar amps ...that about it. Right now I only have one :( ... I want couple more to play with... yeah, wishful thinkin'

btw, while we on this, SteveMac..., guys
here's couple of auctions to look at:
first - THIS
then - THIS
...so, - you get the idea :)
But, I have no clue if this does any good. And I am not sure if it's just that simple as looks from technical point. It looks cool in the brown vintage case - that's for sure :D

Those DO look cool. Particularly the preamp. I'd love to find some of those old things and try them out. You never know. I just wonder about some of the connections or noise. Some of them use those old screw on mike connectors.

SteveMac said:
I'd love to find some of those old things and try them out. ..
me too. I am kind of checking e-bay from time to time to find something maybe locally...so I don't have to pay 100 buck for shipping of ton of aluminum :eek: ...plus you know, you may end up with the box of scrap metal and broken glass after UPS-processing.
You see, that Roberts 720A auction ended at 107 bucks , so for about the price of THIS , you can try something heavier. But then again, you know, I have no idea how easy it is to separate preamps there... (probably not as hard as this ). it maybe piece of cake ... :rolleyes: , but messing with this kind of electronics - huh huh, not everyone wants to mess with those. And the sound of these preamps??? hmmmmmmmmmmmm - , I mean, literally, it may be hmmmmmmmmmmm-like :eek:

Oh, seperating siamese twins is a piece of cake. That's the least of my concerns. :D

I was thinking the same thing. Seeing if I could find one of those preamps locally.

Good idea. That's a big maybe on that one though, you're right. If you can figure out what was used on which recording. They probably all sound like old blues recordings :D

Back