Anyone use the preamps on their RTR's?

cactuseskimo

I've heard the odd comment on the preamps of some of the old consumer RTR's (like Akai) actually being quite good. Any truth to this in anyone's experience?

see THIS THREAD ... after SteveMac's post about preamps. Some references are there.
I've found THIS E-Bay item earlier today and was doing some search on it. Could not find much info, except some b-board conversations. I've found some mentionings of MX-10 tube mixer part, where producers would use it for various applications, like patching tracks through it (using it as sort of "effect processor", well not really...). I've seen mentioning of mx-10 being used to track drums, while "hitting it hard" :). This item looks hot to me just for the mx-10 (the recorder looks cool, but may be hard to keep on running (if it is running as you see it) (it's kind of unique ;) ).
(well, 500 bucks to start isn't very attractive, I must say :( ),

I've been obsessing over old tube preamps lately. Everday looking on ebay. The Ampex went for 5-something. That was just the preamp not the rtr. I'm now looking into others a little cheaper. I love the sound of tubes recorded direct. But not those little 12x7 preamps, the BIG tubes. I used to get a great clean sound from using an old Traynor bass head going direct until I was told thats not a good idea. :eek: I might blow something up without a speaker hooked up.

Back