Anyone Know What Op-Amp in M-300 Series?

B

Beck

I'm wondering what op-amps are in the Tascam M-300 series mixers on the channel cards. I know the 200 series uses 4560 and the 388 mixer section uses TL072, But I have no info on the 300.

-Tim

Last edited:
Who has replaced their opamps?

Let's keep this thread going beyond the actual question. I would like to know if people do replace their opamps in both mixers and decks.

thnaks

According to the schematic and parts list, it names the NJM5532D as the only IC chip on the input PCB.

Does this mean anything good, bad, or indifferent to you, Tim?

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
According to the schematic and parts list, it names the NJM5532D as the only IC chip on the input PCB.

Does this mean anything good, bad, or indifferent to you, Tim?

Ah, the good old 5532. That makes sense. It was a good quality device at the time and still has a following in the chip swap crowd.

I was comparing various specs between mixers so I was curious about design and components.

The M-200 with its 4560s has good signal to noise.
The mixer section of the 388 with its TL072s has slightly better specs.
The M-300s have the best signal to noise by several dB and now we know it uses the 5532s.

All these op-amps are drop-in compatible so I want to try different configurations in a channel or two and see what happens.

I already rechipped my M-208 with 4580s, which are the latest and best in the 4558-type series. I also replaced select carbon resistors in the signal path with metal film type. The residual noise is significantly lower and it sounds really clean.

My M-216 is still stock, so I was toying with the idea of trying whatever was in the 300 series.

Thanks again Jeff.

-Tim :)

Last edited:
Looking deeper into the back section of the manual where it denotes the differences on the newer M300B series, they did change one of the IC's which is located in the master auxiliary send section but this was to achieve a hotter signal for auxiliary and effect send and receives. Otherwise, the same chips are employed on the input PCB assemblies on the newer "B" series as well.

Good luck with the conversion!

Thanks -- the procedure with pics will eventually be posted in the DIY section at TascamForums.

-Tim :)

So I guess I could open up my 388 and replace the TL072's with NE5532's, or Burr Brown 2134 or 2604's is this right Tim?? Or would I have to mod the PS too? (which I have no idea how to do)

taperocket said:
So I guess I could open up my 388 and replace the TL072's with NE5532's, or Burr Brown 2134 or 2604's is this right Tim?? Or would I have to mod the PS too? (which I have no idea how to do)

Any dual op-amp would be a candidate I suppose. A 5532 should just drop in with no other mod needed. I have looked at the Burr-Brown and others, but the higher current draw is significant and I didn’t want to mess with the PS either. The power supply limitation is why went conservative and ultimately decided on the 4580 in my M-208.

Most older equipment can be improved with newer op-amps that weren’t invented yet when the product was made. 5532s have been around for a long time though.

I might put 2604s in a Tascam 32 or 22-2 maybe, but putting 16 of them in an 8-channel mixer might cause the lights to dim when you turned on the power button. :eek:

Beck said:
I might put 2604s in a Tascam 32 or 22-2 maybe, but putting 16 of them in an 8-channel mixer might cause the lights to dim when you turned on the power button. :eek:

haha, yeah, I tried opening up the 388 today just to get a look around and it took me about a half hour just to get the cards back in these little guides that held them in place so I'm thinking I might leave good enough alone!
I need those lights!

Good call. :D I really like the mixer on the 388. I don’t own one, but I don’t remember any problems with the two I’ve used. I love the eq on those things – very well designed. Tascam didn't skimp on that mixer, that’s for sure.

yeah the eq is really apparent, like you can do a +/- .5 tweek and hear the difference, and thats gotta mean something. And overall I find it very warm, maybe even a little too warm at times, where it can sound muddled.

Do you hear that muddled sound in real time or just on playback off the tape? It may be time for an alignment if it's the latter. :)

No No, its not like my recordings sound muddy just that I guess the eq has a sort of dark tonal quality, I actually just had my unit realigned and calibrated recently so its all up to spec. Maybe I'm just mistaking "darkness" for smoothness, but yeah I really do like the 388's eq in general.

Back