Any Hope For This Tube Pre?

SteveMac

I picked up a reel to reel tube preamp. A Sony SRA 2 that was made to be used along with one of thier old reel to reel recorders. It has mic inputs in the front and rca in the back. Well, trying to run it through my mixer, going rca to 1/4" it sounds good but there is a high pitch signal going in that you can only hear on playback You can see the needle being pegged on the meters but you can't really hear it til you play it back. I tried going direct to the rca inputs on the recorder but it still pegged the needle. Anybody have any idea about this? I'd like to use this but maybe it's a lost cause.

so you are on it :D ..heh!
I was searchin' my a$%-off trying to find any info about sra-2 pre - and nothing.
I've found this post with no reply
and also THIS GUYS got one in their collection. Maybe you can try to contact somebody there by e-mail...who knows, maybe somebody will give you a tip or something. There is e-mail contact link on this page (right bottom of the menue)...

post something if any updates.

/respects

That's too funny Zee. I've looked at those websites a couple times myself. I guess that's all thats out there on it. I was thinking about contacting that one you mention. Or VintageTex unless theyre one and the same.

Did you see the SRA2 on ebay? There's gotta be a way to work it. What is this high pitch tone shit! :eek: and you can't hear it through the headphones you can only see it on the needle until you play it back. :confused:

have not seen sra2, but have seen sra 3 on e-bay and there's one now on e-bay
have found this and this blah about it.
that's about it.
I am trying to understand what exactly do mean by "only hear it when playing back". Do you get that signal at output? If it's there - you gotta be able to hear it... :confused:

Dr ZEE said:
I am trying to understand what exactly do mean by "only hear it when playing back". Do you get that signal at output? If it's there - you gotta be able to hear it... :confused:

It's really wierd. You hook it up and immediately the VUs rise or fall depending on the level of the input at the mixer but the tone is inaudible in the headphones or speakers. If you speak into the mic it sounds good/normal except you don't get a level because the meter is already up by this inaudible feedback. If I didn't see the level I wouldn't know anything was there. When you play it back you can finally hear a high pitch tone. :confused:

There's always:
http://www.samswebsite.com/photofact/pf_search.asp

Replacing/testing the tubes sounds like a step in the right direction...

By the way... I'm jealous... I'd love to find something like this during my thrifting expeditions... I have found a tube R2R though ($15)...

It's a 1963 Voice Of Music Model 722 ... I'm using it as a guitar amp for now..
https://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10007559tz.jpg

Good luck!

Thanks, I got it for $40 off ebay. It's pretty cool looking, it's got those "tube eyes" I forget what you call them. They open and close when you speak into the mic. WOW! I'd never seen that before. Pretty cool feature. It's from the early 60s. Seems like it would sound pretty good if I could get rid of that noise!

I'll have to check out those links.

Well, I tested the tubes they all checked out good. Put them back in and found while putting them in that one was a little difficult to get back in. I had to twist it around a little. I fired it up again and VIOLA ! the noise was gone and it sounded sweet! Then I realized that, that one difficult tube was not lit. When I repositioned it, so it lit up again the noise came back with it. So I've narrowed the culprit down to that one tube connection. So, does anyone know if it's safe to run tube gear (until I get it fixed) with one tube taken out . I've no idea what it's job is.

SteveMac said:
Well, I tested the tubes they all checked out good. Put them back in and found while putting them in that one was a little difficult to get back in. I had to twist it around a little. I fired it up again and VIOLA ! the noise was gone and it sounded sweet! Then I realized that, that one difficult tube was not lit. When I repositioned it, so it lit up again the noise came back with it. So I've narrowed the culprit down to that one tube connection. So, does anyone know if it's safe to run tube gear (until I get it fixed) with one tube taken out . I've no idea what it's job is.

Unrelated but seemingly relevant post (from Google's cache..aka this is a quote from some random website that no longer exists)

Begin quote:

Hello,
I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp. Lately it has been sporadically making a loud distorted static noise which overpowers the sound of my guitar and sounds terrible. Usually the harder or louder I play, the more this problem appears. Do you think I need to replace my tubes? If not, what do you think the problem is? I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thanks, Preston Hart
Gaithersburg, MD

Preston,
This definitely sounds like a vibration sensitive problem since you mentioned that the louder you play, the more the problem appears. This could be caused by a plethora of problems, of which tubes could definitely be one. When was the last time you replaced your tubes? General rule of thumb for output tubes is 6 months to 2 years depending on frequency of use and how loud you play the amp. For pre-amp tubes it's usually when they become problematic, but lets see if we can first do a little preliminary diagnosis.

First, while the amp is on, turn down all the controls to zero. Take a pencil or chopstick and lightly tap on each power tube (the large 6L6 / 5881's) individually. If one of them appears to create the same sound that you've been experiencing, then you may have found the source of the problem. Just to be sure, put the amp on standby for a minute, wait for the tubes to cool, and remove the suspect tube. Take the amp off standby (yes it's OK to do this with one tube missing) and tap on the remaining 6L6. If the noise appears to be gone, then you may have found the faulty tube. Just to be sure, put the amp back on standby and wait for the tubes to cool again. This time take the 6L6 that's in the amp and move it to the other socket. Fire the amp back up and tap on the tube again. If the noise is now present, then it may not have been the other tube, it may be a faulty tube socket or associated connection. That's gonna’ require a trip to your local service tech.

OK, if the output tubes seemed OK, then lets check the pre amp tubes. (You may first want to pick up a spare 12AX7 for troubleshooting purposes, and to just have around for a spare anyway.) Turn the amp on and set all the controls (except the reverb) to their mid positions. Lightly tap on the pre-amp tubes and see if any of them appears to create the problematic noise. If so, try replacing it and see if that cures the problem. If not, replace the original tube. At this point we've pretty much ruled out the probability of a tube causing the problem. There's one more thing you can try before the amp takes a trip to amp hospital.

Play the amp, and when it starts making the noise, take a short jumper cable and plug one end into the effects send jack, and the other end into the effects return jack, effectively jumping out the signal path thru the jacks. If the problem stops then you may have a dirty effects loop jack. Turn the amp off and spray a little electronic contact cleaner and lubricant into the jacks and work the plugs in and out a few times. Leave the plugs in for a while to let the contacts dry out (overnight if you can) and then try the amp again. If you still have a problem at this point, the amp probably has some internal intermittent connections and needs to take a trip to the repair shop. Be sure to give the technician all the information you possibly can. Does it happen when the amp is hot or cold? Does it happen when all the controls are turned down? Does it happen in the normal channel, overdrive channel, or both? These are all questions who's answers are very helpful in the diagnosis of a problem, and will be valuable information to a good technician.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll have a healthy Hot Rod soon

:End quote

SteveMac said:
It's really wierd. You hook it up and immediately the VUs rise or fall depending on the level of the input at the mixer but the tone is inaudible in the headphones or speakers. If you speak into the mic it sounds good/normal except you don't get a level because the meter is already up by this inaudible feedback. If I didn't see the level I wouldn't know anything was there. When you play it back you can finally hear a high pitch tone. :confused:
Steve, c'mon now... I don't get it. What are you monitoring? Are you recording on something? What are you playing back? If what you are monitoring during recording and what you hear during play-back is somewhat different, then either the difference is being introduced by your recorder, either you are not monitoring what your are recording. heh heh :p ... or what am I missing here?
What you are describing is so freaky, that I only can suggest to you is: to get VUs covers off and hold VUs's needles with your fingers in place so they don't mess with signal :D

Dr ZEE said:
Steve, c'mon now... I don't get it. What are you monitoring? Are you recording on something? What are you playing back? If what you are monitoring during recording and what you hear during play-back is somewhat different, then either the difference is being introduced by your recorder, either you are not monitoring what your are recording. heh heh :p ... or what am I missing here?
What you are describing is so freaky, that I only can suggest to you is: to get VUs covers off and hold VUs's needles with your fingers in place so they don't mess with signal :D

Nope, that's actually what happened Zee. I thought I might have been losing it too so I double checked it and that's the way it was. You can't hear it. ??? I don't get it either.

Steve, can you describe EXACTLY how and what do you connect and what are you doing (everything, no exceptions... all ins/outs, connected what to what... what exactly you are monitoring (with headphones?)).... becouse this gets on my nerve :D heh heh, what are ins/out/controls on sra2?

/later

It almost sounds like it might be a bad filter trap on the bias oscillator?

The bias frequency is usually a very high one, above the threshold of human hearing but there is a filtering system built into all tape decks called a bias trap which is usually a cap and coil configuration and if either of those components has failed, it might explain the high pitch that you are hearing a sub-multiple of and is pegging the meters.

A shorted tube might also be the culprit too.

Change the tube and if the problem still persists, check the circuit I mentioned and also check for shorts in the coil windings of the heads.

If any or all of this is beyond you, don't be a hero and just take it to a qualified shop in your area and ask the oldest looking technician to have a look-see.

Good luck.

Cheers! :)

Dr ZEE said:
Steve, can you describe EXACTLY how and what do you connect and what are you doing (everything, no exceptions... all ins/outs, connected what to what... what exactly you are monitoring (with headphones?)).... becouse this gets on my nerve :D heh heh, what are ins/out/controls on sra2?

/later

The SRA is just L & R 1/4" mic plugs in the front and rca ins and outs in the back. There's really only one stereo output in the back the other goes to an erase head when used with a sony RTR . So, I was going Rca out in the back of the Sony to 1/4" in the mixer and plugging the mic in the front. (I'll try and post a pic) I was monitoring with both speakers and headphones.

I think Ghost is onto something down below. ...

It sounds great NOW though since I've removed that tube. Just the way I was hoping it would. Fat with that high end glow.

The Ghost of FM said:
It almost sounds like it might be a bad filter trap on the bias oscillator?

The bias frequency is usually a very high one, above the threshold of human hearing but there is a filtering system built into all tape decks called a bias trap which is usually a cap and coil configuration and if either of those components has failed, it might explain the high pitch that you are hearing a sub-multiple of and is pegging the meters.

A shorted tube might also be the culprit too.

Change the tube and if the problem still persists, check the circuit I mentioned and also check for shorts in the coil windings of the heads.

If any or all of this is beyond you, don't be a hero and just take it to a qualified shop in your area and ask the oldest looking technician to have a look-see.

Good luck.

Thanks Jeff,

What you're describing sounds like exactly whats happening. But, do you mean the heads on the Tascam 38? I'm pretty sure the Tascam stuff is fine because it pegs it on the mixer too. It's something in the preamp thats causing it. The sub multiple thing. I bet if I listened real close I could probably hear a high pitch tone but when it goes to tape it comes down lower. I've checked the tubes and they tested good. I don't know if a shorted tube would go undetected on a tube tester. I know that the seat needs to be replaced for that tube, so Ill run it now without it until I get it fixed.

It's not anything I could fix but I think I know someone I can bring it to. Who's been around long enough to know about tube gear and actually likes sony, so hopefully he can fix it. If not it's sounds great now anyway.

do you mean the heads on the Tascam 38?
No. I thought perhaps there was a second reel to reel in your arsenal.

But, there may well be a bias oscillator in the tape deck pre-amp unit and my original guess about the filter trap for it may still be out of whack.

Having a service manual with schematics would be a huge help to see if this circuit is in that pre-amp unit or inside the transport deck it was designed to mate with. Usually, bias oscillators are on the same circuit boards and/or assemblies as the channel pre-amps for a recorder.

The Ghost of FM said:
No. I thought perhaps there was a second reel to reel in your arsenal.

But, there may well be a bias oscillator in the tape deck pre-amp unit and my original guess about the filter trap for it may still be out of whack.

Having a service manual with schematics would be a huge help to see if this circuit is in that pre-amp unit or inside the transport deck it was designed to mate with. Usually, bias oscillators are on the same circuit boards and/or assemblies as the channel pre-amps for a recorder.

I thought that's what you might have been thinking. I can see why. Yeah, I was thinking I might try to get a hold of a manual first before bringing it in for repair. Maybe I can see what that tube is supposed to do and whether I need it. Plus it would help the tech if I had it.

was trying to locate any related info... not much luck
I've found nice Ampex "nest" :), bookmark it ...you never know : http://www.recordist.com/ampex/index.html
found there this scan ... you'd need to save the .gif and then view in browser/image viewer so you can rotate it and zoom out. I'm not sure what good this for... but some ideas about how similar unit can be "organized" :rolleyes:

/later

Dr ZEE said:
was trying to locate any related info... not much luck
I've found nice Ampex "nest" :), bookmark it ...you never know : http://www.recordist.com/ampex/index.html
found there this scan ... you'd need to save the .gif and then view in browser/image viewer so you can rotate it and zoom out. I'm not sure what good this for... but some ideas about how similar unit can be "organized" :rolleyes:

/later

Thanks Zee, good site to bookmark.

It's amazing what these things are going for. ampex

actually I meant this one . I don't get it. They look like the same one.

SteveMac said:
It's amazing what these things are going for. ampex

actually I meant this one . I don't get it. They look like the same one.
looks like arvum bought it for $1,035, left this feedback: "Great unit, super-fast shipping, very nice seller, clear communication, A+++++++", and then a week later listed it for sale and sold for $611 ... also used (copy/paste) the description section code from the previous listing. Then used the answer for a similar question from previouse listing.... the whole thing is kinda fishy.... stinks ,that is :p , the unit could be the same or different one (like, for example if arvum had similar unit before or few of them...) there's no way to know.

Back