Another Akai MG1212.......

Sorry to hijack and be an opportunistic bastard, but I currently have a PAIR of MG1212 units for sale with:

* operations and service manuals
* three MK20J tapes (two of them NOS in seals plastic!!)
* a set of you’ll-never-ever-find-these calibration tapes
* a pair of new idler tires

They are project machines, but pass audio and one of the transports is working (load, eject, and all transport functions working). I’m not interest in shipping them unless the buyer wants to handle contracting something like craters and freighters or something like that, but I am willing to drive some distance to meet a buyer who is committed to purchase.

I’m currently asking $400USD for the whole affair, but am open to offers. Have a heart...I have four kids from my previous marriage and my wife and I are expecting...and we just survived Christmas. :D

They bundle is currently up on eBay and craigslist.

View attachment 101607

Hah, I saw that ad on CL. That's a good asking price.

Well and I finally just caved and split the bundle up a bit. So now it’s $245 for the two MG1212 units with operation and service manuals and a couple new idler tires. The NOS tapes and the cal tapes are now in separate listings.

Hello all, I am waiting for an Mg1214 and some tapes. It has common failures I have read before on others posts.
but the waiting its the hardest art, and I would like to figure some things if possible. Could someone help with the belt sizes or any other usual replacement part on top of the list ? or where to star this.
It seems like it is sounding only on the busses but not on the master/monitor outs. Any idea?
And i read lots of posts asking about reloading the tape... But did someone had success on this?
thanks to all

Hi Dreverb

Congratulations on picking up an Akai MG1214. You will no doubt get other people saying it is a waste of time but if you love the idea of tape this is a great machine provided.......

- you are prepared to work on the electronics and mechanicals of this mixer recorder or are able to outsource the adjustments/repairs to an experienced technician.

You can record over the tapes a number of times but eventually they will degrade in quality and shed oxide powder. The edge tracks are especially prone to degradation that contain the time-code and smpte information but the inner 12 tracks(of the 14) last longer I think. It's all about how they are stored really. I have had some of the oldest tapes that sound like they have been recorded yesterday. But strangely enough the tapes that had not been stored well still seem to have an amazing quality except the edge tracks.

I heard "Welcome To 1979" Studios uses 2" tape on their 24 track machines and offers their used tapes for free to studio users and will only record over them up to about 20 times before discarding due to deterioration. Obviously you can purchase a new tape at a price.

Regarding belts, just remove yours if it is a problem and order a little smaller in size as the old belts tend to stretch. Order two at a time and put the other one away. Brake rubbers tend to wear so you may find some or not ,but try to be resourceful and maybe make your own.

The idler wheel is a typical problem but only in that it is a consumable. Yes a consumable like your car tyers, it only has a certain life and needs to be replaced as the rubber gets hard and no longer grips. It is actually a rubber belt that fits neatly around a plastic pulley.

Some of you capacitors will probably leak and not work leading to other problems. They can be replaced.

The memory battery on the power supply board is an old variety that will leak and maybe spew acid on the circuit board causing other failures. Replace this and add extension wires to relocate it off the board.

Just remember that if you had an SSL 4000G console from back in 1985 that had never had any maintenance it would probably be riddled with problems and maybe unusable. I am just making the point here that any mixer or recorder needs maintenance and repair over it's life for good reliable operation just as a classic car.

It can serve you well and be a great joy to have and work with.

If someone was to buy one and expect it to run like a new car even though the Akai MG1214 is coming up to nearly 40 years old then that would not be realistic.

I have heard so many people talk trash about these units but probably did not keep them consistently maintained. I can understand, it takes money to keep them running and if it is used for just a hobby, well then it could be hard to justify the cost. If it is used in a studio environment and they value the equipment and are prepared to have it maintained it can be a great addition. Mind you I would prefer a 24 track of course.

Here's a thought, just say if you wanted to go on a holiday for a couple of weeks and it was going to cost you say $3000, yes it would be a nice memory but say you used that money instead to bring your Akai back to life, it would be something you could enjoy for way more than a couple of weeks, you know what I'm saying. Just a different perspective.

Anyway have fun but just be realistic about your acquisition. It can bring a lot of pleasure or heartache depending on how you manage it.

Thanks for post. It sounds like you have been there many times... That moment when a total stranger not only feels the need to tell you that you are wrong, you will fail again tomorrow and a cassette will never sound like a 2 inch Otari. ?

I never though I could repair a tascam 244 or the mg614.. It took me months with both.. but it became a fascinating process learning all about it.. so, I known. thanks again.

well, at the moment i am working on the mechanical problems, eject, eating tape, but this topic covers most of them. Again, thanks to all.

Hello again. I sanded the idler tire. Clean old grease. Cam repaired too, it was broken. The thing now it is I have to push the tape a little to get all functions working properly. Any idea?
Thanks

the master output was not working. A few tracks from the master board were damaged, same as an IC, an M5218L, near the top. Now everything seems to work. Only the counter is reading while recording the sync track, but not reading nothing later. Anyway the rest it is working, channels and recorder. I am quite excited having this thing coming back to life again.

IMG_20191204_152025.jpgIMG_20191204_152058.jpgIMG_20191204_152039.jpgIMG_20191204_152134.jpg

Hello all,
It a MG1214, I have a new battery, PSU cleaned and repaired from acid leak. and audio is working in master out and tracks and bus assignment.
Now, the tape mechanism eject fine but when I put it to stop or play it just eject again like a loop. the wheel that was described to be repaired is perfectly fine.
I'm not sure what to do next. the motor run fine, the belt are fine. it won't go into play mode.
Anyone has an Idea?
Thanks a lot

By connecting the p900 connector the tape is loading fine but I don't have a FW or RW > look like the reel motor is not engaging?
any one has an Idea?

Last edited:
View attachment 105335View attachment 105336View attachment 105337View attachment 105338

Hello all,
It a MG1214, I have a new battery, PSU cleaned and repaired from acid leak. and audio is working in master out and tracks and bus assignment.
Now, the tape mechanism eject fine but when I put it to stop or play it just eject again like a loop. the wheel that was described to be repaired is perfectly fine.
I'm not sure what to do next. the motor run fine, the belt are fine. it won't go into play mode.
Anyone has an Idea?
Thanks a lot

By connecting the p900 connector the tape is loading fine but I don't have a FW or RW > look like the reel motor is not engaging?
any one has an Idea?
That wheel is misaligned, I think.

That wheel is misaligned, I think.

Thanks Dreverb for helping.
You think that the white wheel is misaligned and then will prevent the reel motor to go play, FF or RW?reel motor.JPG
When I push play the capstan engage but not the reel motor. When I push FF or RW I hear a click but the reel motor do not run.
THanks

The white wheel in relation of the other little black wheel that comes from the other side. Maybe just moving a few dents it is enough...
I am not sure.. but i've been in that situation two weeks ago, and I think that was the reason....

Last edited:
hello again,
having a look again at your pic...
I am almost sure point A (little spot on the black wheel) should be aligned to point B along that red line i've drawn. Hope it helps. Let me know, please.

Captura de pantalla 2019-12-06 a las 9.53.27.png

hello again,
having a look again at your pic...
I am almost sure point A (little spot on the black wheel) should be aligned to point B along that red line i've drawn. Hope it helps. Let me know, please.

View attachment 105346

Everything appear to look good here.
The B point doesn't any further but the tape get good tension and thread perfectly.
I can hear the click and it engage to FF or RW but the reels are not moving.
I think my problem is laying under the 2 cassette reel mover, the reel motor turn alright but not the reel.. I don't see a belt there or what could make it move.
I'm kind of scarred right now to take it apart.

Any Idea?
Thanks

if the cam is misaligned, it won't never go further and it will be trying to do it forever... That wheel tell the other ones when it is time to move. or...
Idler tire? the little rubber wheel under the lid, the one that moves both reels. It is got to be one of those things... or both... I am not an expert.. but I am working in it too. :)

part number 4

Captura de pantalla 2019-12-10 a las 22.37.35.png

Last edited:
if the cam is misaligned, it won't never go further and it will be trying to do it forever... That wheel tell the other ones when it is time to move. or...
Idler tire? the little rubber wheel under the lid, the one that moves both reels. It is got to be one of those things... or both... I am not an expert.. but I am working in it too. :)

part number 4

View attachment 105360

Look like all is aligned the tape thread properly and when I push play #35 engage and the tape move ok, but it's part #18 that doesn't roll the tape
so i push play and a lot of tape need to be re spooled manually..
I will look at part number 4
Thank for your input..

part number 4

View attachment 105360

I'm sure my problem is part 4 now, see photo,
Is anyone knows how to put it back in alignment? the way it is it never goes to the motor reel. only pushing up and side way. in FW and RW it don't seems to move
Could it be the spring to loose?
IMG_20191212_174212.jpgIMG_20191212_174257.jpg

Any idea?
Thanks all

IMG_20191213_145934.jpg

There is no pin for the reel to go?
What a puzzle...
play part #4 move to the right, FFW to the right and RW to the left.
The way it's this reel just stay in the center, I'm really not sure what could make it move.
Anyone got an Idea?
Thanks... :)

It's a 1214 but I think it the same Mecha block

reel tape.PNG

Back