Another Akai MG1212.......

I'm trying to find an equivalent part.

I think the G2E-182P was superceded by the 184P and I found a data sheet for that here:

https://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/enas/Convac-Ätzer/digi/G2E-184P-M.pdf

It is a 12V DC high sensitivity Form C single-pole double-throw (SPDT) relay. The "high-sensitivity" part just means it doesn't take much current to close the contacts. It is rated at 200mA to close the contacts, so you want something equal to or less than that. A bit more would probably be fine too.

The data sheet has the dimensions of the footprint.

Just fifnished a tune on the Akai. Posted in the analog recording thread.
I have some questions... Maybe @deslog you might know.
Is there a way to monitor using the effects. I like to use a bit of reverb while doing my vocal parts. But while recording, I can't seem to get any while monitoring.
Also, is there a way to mute certain tracks. When using my 388, I can push the L/R buttons to mute cetain tracks. Like if I want to just hear how the bass and drums sound together, can mute all other instruments with the push of buttons.
With the Akai, the only way I can do that is by dropping the faders of the tracks I want muted.
It's a fun machine to use, Similar in work flow, like the 388.

Good question. I'm not sure. Can you insert reverb in between your output and monitor solution?

Can you use the track select switch at the top to turn off what you don't want to hear without having to muck up your levels?

Just saw this on eBay...it's the 1214...but maybe you guys might be interested...

Vintage Akai MG1214 12-Track Tape Recording Console | eBay

Nice! There is actually one of those close to me that I spotted on kijiji. He wants $300 cdn. Same usual problems. Transport.
If it's still listed in a month or so, I may try to talk him down. My mg1212 is cool and sounds nice, but has a few functions that don't work. Would be nice to have a fully working unit.

Hey guys remember that the mg1214 is actually a better version.

- It has better faders(Alps) not cheap ones. The difference is completely different in size, shape and quality.
- The pre-amps are upgraded
- Some of the recorder mechanical parts were upgraded.
- They added sync input at the front.

It's really important that if you want to keep your Akai going that you have a salvage unit.

Yes the chassis is identical.
Most parts can be used in either.

Obviously the channel strip is different due to the different faders and upgraded pre amps.

I have actually used parts from my Mg1212 and put into the Mg1214

If you have the workshop service manual you can check before you replace with a different model part.

The recording Mechablock(mechanical recorder) is virtually identical.

Hello all,
Very interesting thread full of tips and hard working people. I still have my original brought Mg1214 from back then.. had a real fun on it and loved the mixer part but,... like many, all stopped working, like the power faded away slowly (must be the battery and the infamous power supply) since in 1998 I moved to Brazil my Mg1214 is still there. I'm back to the US now since 2013, and I'm thinking to restore this old mixer and playback some of the song I made on it.
Thanks for all the valued information there is on this entire thread. I probably won't do it myself or maybe I will jump on this (I have no previous electronic repair but a good soldering iron and a great will), if someone repair their power supply and had a list of parts to buy I would really appreciated so I can bring all that to Brazil when I go there.
Thank you so much
Pas

Another Akai MG1212/ MG1214

This one is white and grey!

IMG_20170402_132614.jpg

Just picked this up yesterday. It was on kijiji. Had my eye on it and waited a while to make an offer. He had it originally for $350 canadian, then lowered it to $250. I put an offer of $180.
Didn't want to go up to $200. I bought it untested and knowing there were some issues.
It also came with a used tape. Which is always nice.

I got it home and it was pretty filthy. Here is a picture of one panel cleaned up next to an uncleaned one. The picture doesn't do the filth justice. It was yellowy brown and cakey.
But, it cleaned up great. Really great.

IMG_20170402_063758.jpg

Started working on it as soon as I got it through the door. Opened 'er up and started cleaning pots and faders. The faders on this are really nice. I didn't attempt to open them though.

IMG_20170402_103300.jpg

The issues.... Same as the MG1212 I have.
Idler tire rock hard. I pulled the new tire I bought, out of the 1212 and installed it.
Tape plays nice and smooth, all transport functions work.

The battery on the power supply went. But not as bad as the one on my 1212.It didn't leave a huge mess. I pulled the new one out of the 1212 and installed it in the 1214.

There are no eject issues on this machine, but I did swap out the sliding part. It was also slightly bent. So I put in the one from the 1212 that I straightened and reinforced ,and although I haven't looked, the plastic gear that gave me problems on the 1212 must be fine on this machine.
Oh....and the control track works. So I have a counter:thumbs up:

So I now have an upgraded model that is working brilliantly and it's in excellent shape.:)

The only thing I have noticed is the rewind is a little slow. And I discovered if I move the tape tensioner over, the rewind speeds up a little. At the end of the tensioner is the brake strap that goes around the reel table. So by moving the tensioner, it loosens the brake strap. So maybe a brake adjustment is in need.

The MG1212 has now become a donor. Anybody know what other upgrades are on the MG1214 compared to the 1212?
I know the preamps and faders are better. Anymore??? EQ???

Last edited:
Excellent!

Now your in the right maintenance system, donor machine and good working knowledge(or acquired).

It really frees you up ,hey? No longer trying to fix the one doomed machine but salvaging to create a great machine. And also with most future parts already procured.

If everyone (technically gifted)adopted this system we could probably start to share parts with each other and revive the model.

I personally have a donor MG1212 that I had similar problems with and lost enthusiasm with but when I bought another model everything came to life.

I now have a donor 1212, a good working 1212, a MG1214 & remote and finally a MG1214 that we will put into our new recording studio for an alternative to our Pro-tools digital workflow.

I now have a donor 1212, a good working 1212, a MG1214 & remote and finally a MG1214 that we will put into our new recording studio for an alternative to our Pro-tools digital workflow.

Do you have the wireless remote??
I'm keeping a watch for a remote. They seem pretty rare.

No I don't but I have the wired remote. You could probably make your own wired remote. After all a wired remote is really only tapping into the actual buttons and switches, kinda like an extension cord from the actual switch, say play button, that you press and actuate.
In the service manual it has the wiring diagram of the pins showing which pin actuates what button.

I think the wireless version is really just a transmitter with a separate receiver that has a wired plug coming out of the end that then plugs into the Akai anyway.

Just remember we can still create great recordings without the wireless remote.

Personally I would make your own remote at the length you want, say into your recording live room.

Just remember we can still create great recordings without the wireless remote.

Personally I would make your own remote at the length you want, say into your recording live room.

Oh I know. It would be nice to have one though. I have one for my 388 which is mounted on the wall beside my drums so I don't have to get up and run back and forth. Making one sounds interesting..

By the way....Seems like I'm having some issues with the counter on this one too now. I thought it was okay, but the counter gets jumpy and stops at certain numbers when rewinding. And like the mg1212 I have, I still can't hear the relay for the control track click when I press the button.

Deslog, do you think, when you have time or are close by your machine, that you could press your control button and listen. All track buttons and sync track relays click, but my control doesn't. Not sure if thats normal or not. And I hope I don't have the bad luck of getting 2 machines with a faulty control track.

Who knows, I could be using it wrong.

I'm not near the Akai at the moment but if the counter is stopping and restarting it is usually because the outer control track on the tape that has the counter info on is corrupted or has drop outs in the tape. You can mostly fix this by rewinding it and putting a new control track on it. This will over-right the old code and put a new time code. It should fix the problem. I have had this happen to me numerous times. It's a problem with the tape, not the machine. Because this track is on the edge it is more subject to external forces and atmospheric conditions(humidity etc)

I do have one tape that I have to put a new control track on after about every 10 plays but this is rare. At least it is not an inner track that has musical information on.

I'm not near the Akai at the moment but if the counter is stopping and restarting it is usually because the outer control track on the tape that has the counter info on is corrupted or has drop outs in the tape. You can mostly fix this by rewinding it and putting a new control track on it. This will over-right the old code and put a new time code. It should fix the problem. I have had this happen to me numerous times. It's a problem with the tape, not the machine. Because this track is on the edge it is more subject to external forces and atmospheric conditions(humidity etc)

I do have one tape that I have to put a new control track on after about every 10 plays but this is rare. At least it is not an inner track that has musical information on.

Okay.Thanks

One quick question. Do you record a control track while your laying down tracks, or do you just record a control track on the tape, beggining to end and then start to record your tracks?

Yes that is correct. Have you got a users manual? Akai has a free download on their website under ...

MG1212 : Akai Professional - Iconic music production gear, including the legendary MPC

This is basically for the Akai MG1212 model but is mostly the same instructions as for the Akai MG1214 model.

With a new or old tape you should lay down a new control track. Do it from start to end, yes I know it will take 10 minutes but hey you could browse the internet with a nice cup of coffee while you wait:)

Cheers.

Back