Another Akai MG1212.......

There is no pin for the reel to go?
What a puzzle...
play part #4 move to the right, FFW to the right and RW to the left.
The way it's this reel just stay in the center, I'm really not sure what could make it move.
Anyone got an Idea?
Thanks... :)

It's a 1214 but I think it the same Mecha block

View attachment 105371

The pin were this part #4 goes (axis) was kind of sticky so didn't move freely, so I did clean it up and lightly lube it, It move OK now but the tension is still weak for the tape to move.
I'm going to put everything back together now.

I’ve seen some severe damage where batteries leak. My advice would be to clean it up as best as you can then run some wires where the traces go. The acid in the battery is a gift that keeps on giving. Over time it will eat away on the copper traces on the board. That’s why I advise to run wire along the damaged traces on the PC hoard. Good luck with it. It’s sounds like you’re on the right track.

Hello all,
I just changed the idle tire and put a new tension spring on part #4.
Got the transport working great now. RW FF PLAY :)

my only problem is the Pinch roller that kind of worn out.
I could play my tape but it's scary.

Anyone has a spare Pinch roller to sell?

or any idea how to make one?

Thanks

have you tried cleaning it with hot water and dishwashing soap? sometimes it helps. It helped on mine...
Anyway, the size is the same as some others VCRs.
I think is... but not sure 100%
outer diameter = 12
shaft diameter = 2
height = 18

I recently acquired one of these for $20 (I KNOW) and just got it home from getting serviced at VST. What's not apparent to me from the manual or looking over the machine, is how do I fully erase a tape? I see that there's an erase head, but the manual doesn't seem to indicate how to use it. Thanks!

I recently acquired one of these for $20 (I KNOW) and just got it home from getting serviced at VST. What's not apparent to me from the manual or looking over the machine, is how do I fully erase a tape? I see that there's an erase head, but the manual doesn't seem to indicate how to use it. Thanks!
Select all tracks, on middle mode (track, not line or mic) and press record.
The guys at VST, did they gave you any additional or usefull info you could share about maintenance, tapes or related to this machines? Thanks anyway.

Select all tracks, on middle mode (track, not line or mic) and press record.
The guys at VST, did they gave you any additional or usefull info you could share about maintenance, tapes or related to this machines? Thanks anyway.

Thanks! Is that actually using the erase head or is it just recording over what's there with null info? Dave at VST did go over with me about the importance of cleaning and demagnetizing the surfaces. He also related that there has always been a problem with tape shedding with these. All of the tapes I have are used so we shall see how it goes.

Hello again. Trying to repair one MG14D.
It is stuck on that loop that goes from eject to stop and eject again. It don't enter stop mode. I think the gear cam it is aligned... any idea? Thanks

Hello,

I recently bought an Akai MG 1214 for cheap, with fine working channels and mixer, however the transport is not working, and there are several locations that need repair

I really enjoyed this threat, as it really helped me out to understand the unit and its common issues, and it really appears to be the most detailed on the net so far.

So, even the last entry was a while ago, I thought I’ll give it a try to ask, if some of you might have some suggestions to some challenging questions:

1. There was a small tile rattling around in the chassy (See picture below), wich I belive should be a resistor with 200k ohms, but I‘m not shure. I really couldn‘t figure out its original pcb and location, and just running the unit without re-soldering the piece might be risky. I took advantage of the Service-manual, however, so far I couldn‘t find anything, I‘m unsure about it‘s precise description name. Does somebody know what to look for exactly, or does someone even know its location?

1. 2.Transport section: the ‚eject action slider‘ is bend, similar like in j. Harv’s case. But in addition its broken into 3 pieces (see picture below). Is there any way to fix this? I thought of three options for that: a) buying a spare-part, which seems really hard to find at the moment b) welding the pieces together(?) and after that maybe straighten the slider by warming it up, like it was described a few posts earlier? C) give it to someone with a 3D printer(?) Anyhow it‘s just a few ideas that came up, by someone who‘s still on a very beginners side (and can‘t weld.)

There are 2 more bigger issues, but I leave it for that by the moment. (The main white cog-wheel’s position and a further soldering challange and a re-tiering of a new idler-tire).

Ok, I‘m very exited about any tips and suggestions, thank you very much and have a nice weekend!!

Fabian

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0893.jpeg
    IMG_0893.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hello Fte,
I am currently (that is, I have been for the last year) trying to resurrect my 1212 - this thread would have been SO useful if only I had decided to search the internet instead of fumbling with the machine. That eject arm has broken and I painfully replicated it with my 3d printer. Unexpectedly, the replacement works :D
Thus, if you still need it I can drop the STL somewhere for you to download.
I printed it with PLA but I will probably make another in ABS or some other material. The arm is under strong tension 90% of the time (terrible engineering there), so the sturdier the better.

Oh, and hello to the forum. You guys are amazing, I'll be perusing these 11 pages of info!

Oh well, it's light enough to attach here, hope it's useful to someone :geek:

Attachments

• AKAI MG1212 eject lever.stl.zip
    53.9 KB · Views: 4
Back