Analog Newbie w/ broken TEAC-3440

mr_trout88

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while reading posts and whatnot. Everyone in the analog forum seems especially friendly and knowledgable so I'd rather ask here then in the newb forum. Problem: I recently acquired an old TEAC-3440 and it seems to be broken. After dusting the outside off I tried to turn the power on, but haven't been able to get it started. I am really skeptical about what to do next. Any advice?

mr_trout88 said:
Hello all. I've been lurking for a while reading posts and whatnot. Everyone in the analog forum seems especially friendly and knowledgable so I'd rather ask here then in the newb forum. Problem: I recently acquired an old TEAC-3440 and it seems to be broken. After dusting the outside off I tried to turn the power on, but haven't been able to get it started. I am really skeptical about what to do next. Any advice?

Any lights? Any tape on it? The right side takeup arm has a switch that shuts off the motors when there is no tape. You can hold it up by hand.

We need more info.

mr_trout88 said:
I tried to turn the power on, but haven't been able to get it started.
do you mean no signs of life at all?
Normally when you power up the machine ...all you see is vu-meters light up and needles make a brief move...that's all. Then if you move right tension arm up - capstan starts spining.
Does your machine do any of this?

Thanks for the replies everybody. There is positively no sign of life at all when I press the power button. I haven't tried moving the arm at all because the VU meters do not light up like they are supposed to. The machine, as far as I can tell, is in very good condition. No dents or obvious signs of damage. It was in a storage room that may have been subject to the drastic weather changes of Las Vegas for a number of years. Let me know if there's anything else that would be useful to help troubleshooting.

mr_trout88 said:
Let me know if there's anything else that would be useful to help troubleshooting.
if there's no life ... check the power cord condition and, I guess, the fuse. I don't have 3440. 3340's fuse is on the back, right above the power cord.

I'm not familiar with the model, but after pressing play with the right tension arm up and still nothing is happening, it's most likely a blown fuse, or possibly a broken wire, but I doubt it.

I will look into a possible fuse problem. Thanks again. How would I go about cleaning the inside of the machine? It's quite dusty after years of negligence.

Location?

Some 3440 have 240/120, 50/60 Hz options. be sure that they match your location.

Does the wall outlet have power (1st step!)

Is the power cord OK?

Check the primary fuse.

If all the above are OK then you have bigger problems. Normal diagnostics would be to check the power supply to verify each supply voltage is within spec. (also that none of the internal fuses are blown).

I would suspect that line (mains) voltage is not making it to the power supply. This could be due to and above and other such things as a faulty power switch.

I have a 3440 coming in the mail (tomorrow!) that I will be rebuilding. I would be able to answer specific questions as needed. Between my own 3440 and the one coming we should be able to come up with some answers.

Where are you located?
Regards

mr_trout88 said:
I will look into a possible fuse problem. Thanks again. How would I go about cleaning the inside of the machine? It's quite dusty after years of negligence.

Suck and blow with a shopvac. Light brushing for the stubborn dust. Heavy brushing selectivly.

Avoid solvents due to coatings on the PCB. Windex >>MAY<< be useful.

In response to evm1024, I'm located in Las Vegas, Nevada. It's great to hear you'll be rebuilding one of these things. I'm going out of town for a couple days, but after returning next Tuesday I'm going to try and fix mine up.

I do have power via the wall outlet. The power chord seems to be in good condition. I am going to take a closeer look at everything tonight. Thanks for all the help. Good luck with your 3440. I've never used a reel to reel before this. I've been a long time Pro Tools user and Tascam four track user. I just sort of stumbled upon this machine in a pile of trash. :D

A very common problem on 3440 are the two micro switches mounted on the R-tension arm, the bottom of the plastic casing cracks and no power feeding the capstan motor.
For the VU-meter lights there is a fuse on the top upper section after rear cover is off, but 80 % chance the bulbs are burned.
If so be prepared for some work to replace them, a major pain to reach + bulbs are $ 8.50 each from Teac.
I would suggest checking those switches first and all fuses. ;)

Good Luck :cool:

Back