Analog habits creeping into digital recording?

JRSIV

JRSIV Music Ltd.
Do any of you guys & gals experience any analog habits, techniques or procedures that you find yourself using when recording in the digital realm? Even when seemingly unnecessary? I know a lot of us who frequent the Analog section of the forum may not use digital all the time or will use it in conjunction with analog, but does the analog mindset creep in when digital is what you're working with? Is it for the good or does some negative pop up?

I still catch myself recording levels hot because that sounded good on analog tape...of course over digital zero doesn't sound good. When recording a song I tend to save the vocals for last because with analog the more you played back and recorded on the tape it took away high frequencies; this was fine for bass & drums maybe but not lead vocals, so recording them last helped retain clarity (supposedly).

I will still get a bit of anxiety when doing a punch in, subconsciously thinking there will be noises & clicks on the in & outs or some of the the audio not to be punched over will get accidentally erased (as if both can't be undone with undo or a quick edit).

I've got lots of them I catch myself doing, some are beneficial and some are irrational lol. I think recording on analog for so long has just embedded some traits into my recording grey matter.

Mmmm...I've been straddling the hybrid horse for so long now that my mindset is pretty clear when I'm in either analog or digital domains...or both during transfers and such.

About the only thing I still mimic from the analog side, is how I order the mixer channels...most of the time.
Like my drums start off at Ch.1, 2, 3, etc...then bass...etc...etc...and I color code my channel strips kinda the same in both...like the Kick drum is always red...guitars are various shades of blue...etc.
The colors are not that vital on the real console...but in the DAW, with the sound waves running across...it makes it easy to identify things quickly...so I just copy the color scheme on the real console strip too. :)

Back