Analog gear storage

JerAy

Hi all. Just finished my home studio, now i need to take it down and store it due to a out of state move. I have a Otari MX 70 and 55, Tascam M3500, and 2 full racks of gear. Any tips/do/ don't do, on storing this stuff for maybe 4/5 months? Moving sucks. Thanks in advance.

Jer

I don't envy you. :o

I just went through a move back in June of this year and it took me two months of Sundays to pack up my studio. I was smart enough to keep many of the original boxes for all of the smaller gear but my 16 and 8 track reel to reels I had to find suitable, strong cardboard boxes and reinforce the insides of them with wood to prevent any puncture wounds from sloppy movers. I also packed the boxes very tightly with foam roll padding so that there was very little shift movement inside the boxes. My 16 track, MS16, TASCAM recorder required complete disassembly and each component was packed into its own box which required 6 different boxes.

Everything survived my move without a scratch or a dent and because of that result, I was happy I did as much defensive packing as possible. If you treasure your gear as I do, you'll do the same.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost! The Otari and the Tascam scare me. I think the Otari is 268lbs and looks new. I also saved some rack gear boxes but now i walk the halls at work looking for boxes. Just finished the studio. Can't believe it took 2 1/2 years to finish and test it. I tried putting some rack gear in big plastic tubs with packing and seems like it would work. Moving from Florida to Alabama but the stuff will sit for months. Last pics before it comes down.

JerAy said:
..... now i walk the halls at work looking for boxes.
That's what I did too before my move! :D

Luckily, I work in a TV and stereo shop and had access to some really strong 20" tube TV boxes that worked like a charm for the reel to reel transports along with their Styrofoam inserts that I snapped into shape to add support to the recorders.

Moving is never fun but, if you keep to a steady pace of packing carefully, you'll feel good about it on the back end when everything arrives safe and sound.

Good luck with the move. :)

Cheers! :)

Back