analog distortion recording!!!

esotericality

hey everyone,

I have a vintage Teac A-160 tape deck I record with. I am using a behringer mixing board and RCA cables to hook it to my deck. I am using a sm57 mic and I place it about 150-200mm from the amp. I get a really good clean recording without distortion, but distortion is really dirty when recorded(which I like.) But im hoping to get a good sounding dirty fuzz type recordings for when needed.) Is there any advice anyone can give me for using this setup?
Maybe I need to crank down the distortion on my pedel? It sounds like compression or a limiter is a must? Which one should I use and how do I know? I have a Boss LM-2B bass limiter pedel, will this sound alright for guitar?

thanks,

also, ive been recording with my 30watt amp at about quarter the volume up, but on the input channel on my mixer, I have the gain all the way up due to trying to keep overall volume down in the house. I am assuming that if I turned the amp up more, and turned down the gain, there should be overall less channel distortion and background noise?

Last edited:
Back