Analog/Digital Hybrid Studio, Fostex 80 reel to reel, Tascam M-312B, into Logic

sugar382

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get an analog/digital hybrid home recording studio going and get the best of both worlds. I just picked up a Fostex Model 80 reel to reel 8 track and an old Tascam M-312B Mixer. What I'd like to do is track through the mixer and onto tape, then mix some more coming out of the mixer and into my DAW (Logic) for the final mixdown. I'm not quite sure how to route this exactly. I'm looking to record live drums with 3-4 mics, then mostly overdubbing the rest. Maybe a few live guitars....

The M-312B has 4 busses (I'm pretty sure), so however many tracks I record simultaneously I'm gonna have to submix, not a big deal. But if I want to do live mixing on all 8 tracks from the tape machine through the mixer where I can EQ and add some space echo (think Lee Scratch Perry or something....), THEN into an interface (or A/D converter? which one? are they the same?), how could I route this? Anyone have any leads? Is this redundant?

Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you so much!

8 tape outs to 8 mixer inputs, don't know if the M-312B got dedicated tape returns
echo on mixer aux send/return
mixer stereo out to soundcard
that would do it?

Hey Dude!

I've considered your specific question and I think the answer is pretty basic.

Backtracking,... I think what we discussed is if you record UP TO 4 tracks simultaneously, you'd usually use the PGM OUTs (busses) to the recorder and submix Input channels to the busses. Use the same 4 PGM busses to route to the Model 80's Tracks 1-4 and 5-8. respectively, in banks of 4. For MORE THAN 4 tape tracks simultaneously, you'd use the DIRECT OUTs, or a combination of PGM OUTs and DIRECT OUTs. Sounds like you already got a good handle on that.

Additionally,... I forgot to mention that on the Model 80 the 1-4 inputs are "normalled" to the 5-8 inputs, so technically you only need to connect PGM OUT 1-4 to INPUT 1-4 on the Model 80, and it "parallels" the 1-4 inputs to 5-8 internally. I suppose this was to accommodate a mixer with only 1 PGM OUT per buss, but the M-312 has two/each.

SO,... Route the Model 80's outputs to the M-312's TAPE INs, put the recorder on basic playback, select the mixer input to TAPE, then the playback signal will go down thru the entire chanel strip, complete with EQ, AUX section, etc. ASSIGN the playback channel strips to any of the PGM BUSSes 1-4 or STEREO L/R, & route (either) the PGM OUTs (or STEREO L/R) to the digital I/F,... into the puter. (You didn't state how many inputs your I/F has). For effects you'd use the AUX (or EFF) OUT subsection, thru the effects device, and back into either the STEREO L/R inputs OR any of the PGM INs (1-4).

HOWEVER,... When you have any mixer channels selected to TAPE AND assigned to any of the PGM busses, be VERY careful when re-selecting any of the tape recorder's tracks for RECORD, lest you patch an inadvertent feedback loop through the tape recorder. That may be harder to explain than it is to actually patch. If your I/F has only 2 channels, it's WAY easier and safer to assign TAPE RTN and AUX RTN to STEREO L/R. This keeps it totally seperate from the PGM Busses, which in most cases would be used for output from the mixer to the Model 80's Tape Ins.

HINT,... You would use the SUBMIX section (on the right) selected either to TAPE or PRE/POST to monitor both tape return tracks and input channels simultaneously, while overdubbing. This seperate submix section allows monitoring while specifically avoiding any internal feedback loops, which on an open-structured and complex mixer like this is all too easy to do. (A mid-level question that you didn't even ask!)

HINT #2,... you may want to buy the M312 user's manual. It explains all the in's, out's and applications of this fine (but very complex) mixer.

I hope none of this explaination was too redundant or complex. (edited for clarity)/DA
:spank::eek:;)

Last edited:
Hey A Reel Person, I think I bought the Fostex from you!
Thanks so much, that honestly cleared up a lot for me. I knew it wasn't as complex as I thought. So I wouldn't necessarily need a patch bay or anything like that?

Yep, that's me!

The M-312 is open and complex enough to do everything you asked and as I've described. A patch bay would increase patch points as needed, but isn't necessary right at the outset. Keep in mind that for however much you increase inputs, outputs and patch points, you also increase your ability to patch some improper connections, the worst of which result in feedback loops that could damage either your monitors, your electronics, your hearing, or all of the above.

I dont' see your question requiring a patch bay at this point to achieve your goals. (... but if you want one I have a few of them when you're ready!)

:spank::eek:;)

Back