Ampex 456 for fostex r8?

antispatula

will this work? I don't really know anything about the best tapes for certain machines, but I bought a few Ampex 456, and I want to get an r8.

Fostex recommends 457 for the r8. And if you have 456 it could be bad and need of baking to protect your machine from sticky tape shed.
457 will be a little easier on the R8 and its transport.
But I do highly recommend the R8 its a nice machine.
Forgot to mention yes it will work

Last edited:
wait I'm confused. It works, but it can mess up my machine?

I know someone that's giving me a bunch of 456, and I don't want it to go to waste.

antispatula said:
wait I'm confused. It works, but it can mess up my machine?

I know someone that's giving me a bunch of 456, and I don't want it to go to waste.

457 and 456 are the same tape...except that 456 is 1.5 mil and 457 is 1 mil. The 1.5 mil tape is stronger and does not bend as well as the 1 mil version. Running 456 in a machine "designed" for 457 (1.5 in 1.0) >>could<< increase wear on the transport (and the heads to a lessor amount). Stiffer so harder to bend and pull through the guides so harder for the motors.

This would result in a shorter life for the moters. My >>guess<< is that for non 24/7 use that 456 would be fine. The usage patterns would be much less than in a production studio. (Others with better information please speak up)

So, (IMHO) you should be fine but if you are worried just ship that 456 to me :D and I can pony up some $ for 457....

Regards!

antispatula said:
will this work? I don't really know anything about the best tapes for certain machines, but I bought a few Ampex 456, and I want to get an r8.

You already have an R8, right?

1-mil tape like 457 is recommended for less wear & tear as mentioned and optimal tape-to-head contact. Since 456 or any 1.5-mil (except SM 468) is stiffer it doesn’t “wrap” the heads as closely. The thickness becomes a greater issue as more tracks are squeezed onto smaller rec/play heads.

The way most of us (home/project recordists) use our equipment you won’t kill it by using 456. On the other hand, since any R8 you can buy these days is used, you may want to baby it with the factory recommended tape.

-Tim

Back