Ampex 456 2" tape

Cuzme

Hey y'all,
I have a recording session in December at www.mix-o-lydian.com and need several reels of 2" tape. Where is my best bet to purchase online? The studio will sell it to me for $210 but I want to explore my options and see if I can find a better price. Any suggestions? Much love,
Cuzme

Studio's usually have tapes for rent or for free, unless you want to own these tapes yourself there's no need to buy them.

I have a commercial two inch studio and some 100 2" tapes that can be used by bands.

We definitely want to keep the tapes. I think having the masters is a good thing...even though we'll likely be mixing in digital. It's a tracking session but we don't want to lose anything. Thanks though,
Cuzme

I have tapes in the archive that were purchased by the bands and I've never heard anything since. Some tapes are stored there for more than ten years now.

Don't forget you'll need a two inch machine in case you wanna do something with your tapes in the future.

But.......two inch sounds better than anything digital......still. (IMHO)

Cuzme said:
Hey y'all,
I have a recording session in December at www.mix-o-lydian.com and need several reels of 2" tape. Where is my best bet to purchase online? The studio will sell it to me for $210 but I want to explore my options and see if I can find a better price. Any suggestions? Much love,
Cuzme
These days, $210 is a pretty fare price unless you're willing to use "previously enjoyed" tape. ;)

Some tape re-sellers will offer slight discounts if you're purchasing 5 or more reels; basically master carton pricing.; another 5 - 10% off, if you're lucky.

Have fun in the session and best of luck too!

Cheers! :)

Cuzme said:
We definitely want to keep the tapes. I think having the masters is a good thing...even though we'll likely be mixing in digital. It's a tracking session but we don't want to lose anything. Thanks though,
Cuzme

I understand that. I can't erase anything. Erasing always hurts for some reason, even if it's crap. Later on I'm always happy I saved the crap. :D

This is my first post and I'd just like to say that I'm really glad to be here.

man, the name of this studio sounds so familiar... New Jersey, huh? did the Glen Danzig-era Misfits record at this joint by any chance?

Tape Phreak said:
I understand that. I can't erase anything. Erasing always hurts for some reason, even if it's crap. Later on I'm always happy I saved the crap. :D

This is my first post and I'd just like to say that I'm really glad to be here.

Welcome Tape Phreak! Yeah, I won't erase a thing EVER!!! :eek: :D :D

Hi_Flyer said:
man, the name of this studio sounds so familiar... New Jersey, huh? did the Glen Danzig-era Misfits record at this joint by any chance?

I'm not sure but I'll ask when I get there. Quite a few people have gone through there; it's a great studio and you can't beat the price or atmosphere this close to NYC. He lets the artists sleep in the small apartment above the studio (a converted guesthouse/barn) for no extra charge. So we leave the everyday distractions of NYC and live the music for a moment. It's beautiful. I've been recording all my serious projects there for 10 years now. Much love,
Cuzme

The Ghost of FM said:
These days, $210 is a pretty fare price unless you're willing to use "previously enjoyed" tape. ;)

Some tape re-sellers will offer slight discounts if you're purchasing 5 or more reels; basically master carton pricing.; another 5 - 10% off, if you're lucky.

Have fun in the session and best of luck too!

Cheers! :)

That's what I thought! But I'm bringing an engineer with me this time that thinks I can do better, so I'm exploring. He found tape for $166 but there'll be a delivery fee on that so it might even out. Thanks man,
Cuzme

Back