Alignment tool, tweaker

Look carefully at the BOTTOM of the slot. It is flat all the way across, Just like with a screw for a flat blade, except here you have two slots.

Use a snug fitting flat blade and you'll be fine.

Also dont worry about ESD in this instance. It's almost certainly not an issue.

Good call, Tim. Yup, it looks as if those pots are indeed flat across the bottom, same amount of light reflection.

Thanks Tim.:)

--

I tend to use a bamboo shish-ka-bob skewer that I shape with sand paper for each use.

OK, Ethan, you got me intrigued [as it looks as if I'll only need a flat blade]. Where can I get them bamboo sticks and how and with what type of sandpaper do I shape 'em?:confused:

----

By "length" do they mean the width of the tool tip? :confused:

I can check and see about that...I mean which width works best if that's what they mean. I'm assuming so...

The tweaker I bought some time ago is a ceramic flat-blade screwdriver...really long one...maybe 11" long including the handle. Works great for everything on the 58, but those trimmers behind the splicing block on the 48 are different...all the trimmers on the 58 are slotted, and I think that goes for the amp-card trimmers on the 48??? But then you've got those pseudo philips ones on the 48 behind the splicing block...I'll check what fits best in those ones...I'm assuming it will be the 3.4mm...

By "length" do they mean the width of the tool tip? :confused:

I can check and see about that...I mean which width works best if that's what they mean. I'm assuming so...

The tweaker I bought some time ago is a ceramic flat-blade screwdriver...really long one...maybe 11" long including the handle. Works great for everything on the 58, but those trimmers behind the splicing block on the 48 are different...all the trimmers on the 58 are slotted, and I think that goes for the amp-card trimmers on the 48??? But then you've got those pseudo philips ones on the 48 behind the splicing block...I'll check what fits best in those ones...I'm assuming it will be the 3.4mm...

Yeah, Cory, I too am confused and was hoping you knew what is meant by 'length' or do they indeed mean 'width' of the tip?:confused: But from the numbers, I think they do mean width.

I think the amp cards on the 48 are slotted too and although the ones behind the splicing block may are different, I think one can easily use a flat blade as well, as the bottom is flat all across. Maybe the only difference is the 'width' [for those slots] for those two places but a flat driver would work for both.

Yes, please, if you could check those [for the best fitting flat blade] for the tension and amp cards, I'd appreciate it.:)

-----

tweaker size...

Daniel, my mini driver set has some different sizes than what the tweaker you are looking at comes in. 3.0mm fits those trimmers on he 48 just right. Best bet is to order the 2.6mm. 3.4mm is too big. The 2.6mm is close enough.

Did that anwer you question?

Daniel, my mini driver set has some different sizes than what the tweaker you are looking at comes in. 3.0mm fits those trimmers on he 48 just right. Best bet is to order the 2.6mm. 3.4mm is too big. The 2.6mm is close enough.

Did that anwer you question?

Cory, thank you for looking into this for me. Just to confirm that you're talking about both the slotted tension [one of the slots] and amp card trimmers and that while the 3mm fits just right, the 2.6mm will be a best bet to order [and close enough], especially that the place only has that size and the next one up, the 3.4mm, is too wide. That the 2.6mm will fit one of the slots on the tension adjust and also on the amp cards [as you've tried it with 3mm and it was a perfect fit]. Is this correct? Thanks again.:):)

---

Precisely right except for the amp card test. The 3mm "perfect fit" statement is related to the tension adjust style trimmers on the face of the 48. I imagine it would work great for the amp-card trimmers as well as I think that is the size of my long-handled ceramic tweaker.

Let me know if you'd like confirmation on this though, as I will, at your request, be happy to lay one of my 48's on its back and check.

Go to sleeeeeeep, Daniel...goooootoooooosleeeeeeeeep...

Wait...what am I doing up...? :o

Precisely right except for the amp card test. The 3mm "perfect fit" statement is related to the tension adjust style trimmers on the face of the 48. I imagine it would work great for the amp-card trimmers as well as I think that is the size of my long-handled ceramic tweaker.

Let me know if you'd like confirmation on this though, as I will, at your request, be happy to lay one of my 48's on its back and check.

Go to sleeeeeeep, Daniel...goooootoooooosleeeeeeeeep...

Wait...what am I doing up...? :o

Sleep? Naa, that's for 'normal' folk! :D:D;);)

Yes, Cory, if it's not too much trouble and when you get a spare moment, can you also check the amp card? That would save me unpacking the 48, which I really don't want to do!:eek::eek:

----

Daniel,

The 2.6mm tip will work just great for the amp-card trimmers as well. :)

Also, and maybe this is a non-issue by now, but awhile ago on my 58 thread you were asking what it was like to remove the amp cards out of the 48.

You may know this already...there is a cross-brace running from front to back on the bottom of the cards. In order to get the cards out you have to remove the cross-brace first.

1. Remove the two lower "feet" on the back of the deck.
  2. Remove the 4 screws holding the lower coverplate on the back of the 48 (located directly below the XLR I/O panel) and remove the coverplate.
  3. there is a screw about a third of the way from the left (as you look at the back of the deck along the very bottom. Remove it. That holds the back end of the cross-brace.
  4. lay the deck on its back
  5. remove the trimmer access coverplate with the 4 knurled thumb-screws
  6. remove the feet
  7. now the trimmer access panel (the one with holes all over the place) can be pulled away from the deck at the bottom and will then be allowed to slide down clear of the two (or three) shoulder screws that hold it at the top
  8. you will now have to remove one of the shoulder screws holding the other end of the cross-brace
  9. the cards are now free to be removed

My cards on the parts 48 came free with a little doing. I had to grab firmly at both ends and rock it a bit, but once it came free it came free...uh...freely...and reinstalled with nominal pressure and a satisfying *thunk*.

*using the dark side of the force*
You didn't want that deck anyway... you will ship it to Analog Kid and demand he take it from you for no charge

*dark force powers off*

Awwww..... not even 'your powers are too weakold man'?

Anyway, I have found that several retail electronics chains do still carry trimmers, and for very little $$$. If you have one near you, I would suggest

http://www.altex.com

AK

Daniel,

The 2.6mm tip will work just great for the amp-card trimmers as well. :)

Also, and maybe this is a non-issue by now, but awhile ago on my 58 thread you were asking what it was like to remove the amp cards out of the 48.

You may know this already...there is a cross-brace running from front to back on the bottom of the cards. In order to get the cards out you have to remove the cross-brace first.

1. Remove the two lower "feet" on the back of the deck.
  2. Remove the 4 screws holding the lower coverplate on the back of the 48 (located directly below the XLR I/O panel) and remove the coverplate.
  3. there is a screw about a third of the way from the left (as you look at the back of the deck along the very bottom. Remove it. That holds the back end of the cross-brace.
  4. lay the deck on its back
  5. remove the trimmer access coverplate with the 4 knurled thumb-screws
  6. remove the feet
  7. now the trimmer access panel (the one with holes all over the place) can be pulled away from the deck at the bottom and will then be allowed to slide down clear of the two (or three) shoulder screws that hold it at the top
  8. you will now have to remove one of the shoulder screws holding the other end of the cross-brace
  9. the cards are now free to be removed

My cards on the parts 48 came free with a little doing. I had to grab firmly at both ends and rock it a bit, but once it came free it came free...uh...freely...and reinstalled with nominal pressure and a satisfying *thunk*.

Cory, now you went above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks very much my friend..:)

BTW, just out of curiosity, are the slots the same size for the 48 and 58? And where did you get that long ceramic tweaker?

--

BTW, just out of curiosity, are the slots the same size for the 48 and 58? And where did you get that long ceramic tweaker?

Yes, the slots are the same (or at least very close). I got the long tweaker from Norvac Electronics locally to me. They have been in business forever. They have a couple different locations...lotsa run-of-the-mill stuff, but lots of eclectic tweaker stuff too. Sometimes they don't have stuff I expect them to have, and other times they've got the good stuff hiding in a nook somewhere with dust on it...y'know what I mean?

Back