Alignment problem - MSR 16 and TEAC YTT-1144-2

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Hi again,

Wanted to start a new fresh thread on this. I have a YTT-1144-2 alignment tape. The service manual references YTT-11442 no dash. The guy talking at the beginning of the tape says it's full track. But I can't seem to get it to -10dB on just about every other track. This shows the 1kHz tone being played back with just about every playback trimmer almost at max except track 1 adjusted for ~316mV as measured by voltmeter attached to the output. (via 50 ohm cable). I could get that card to read properly (more or less, it averages out to 316mv).

IMG_2435.JPG

However, swapping cards for 1 and 2, you get this when playing back the alignment tape:

IMG_2443-1.jpg
This is without any further adjustment, simply swapping the already adjusted card in to slot two and the card that just had the pot near max into slot one. So the playback that was set OK on track 1, is now not OK when you slide that card into track 2.

I'm showing the deck's VU meters for reference, but the actual output of channel two is here with the trim pot nearly maxed out, it's about 1/2 of where it should be:

IMG_2442.JPG

This is the tape:

IMG_2441.JPG

I had calibrated the meters previously per the manual to register 0VU at -10dB. So I recorded a nominal -10dB 1kHz tone to 1 & 2 on to 456. The record level probably needs adjustment, but playback was otherwise fine on both tracks albeit about 1-2dB higher than it should have been. (Noting that the playback level adjustment is probably not correct)

IMG_2446.JPG

Thoughts? I vaguely recall a thread here that certain TEAC 8 track tapes weren't full track, which would seem to account for this anomaly.??? I'm thinking of springing for a four tone, four minute MRL tape which are quite a bit cheaper and should be sufficient for this purpose.

EDIT: Here is the thread where "Beck" says the YTT-1144-2 is *not* full track.

Which calibration tape?

Last edited:
That certainly looks like an 8 track tape. I would believe what it says on the label. I'd suggest going for a new MRL tape as, in addition to the obvious incompatibility, you probably don't know the history of the tape you have and, if it has been played on a machine with magnetised heads, the calibration could be out anyway.

The YTT-1144-2 tape is 8-track with guard bands in between each track to minimize fringing effects. I’ll have to do some digging to recall how I know this, but forum members evm1024, beck and went ten rounds to get to the bottom of it a decade or so ago because of issues I was having with the “full-track” tape and we determined without a doubt it is 8 distinct tracks. It’s a unique tape.

That's the thread I linked to above. It's weird, but it makes it impossible to cal the MSR-16 with it. I just ordered a 4 minute 4 freq MRL from JRF Magnetics. I don't know if I'll keep the TEAC tape or not. I have a 38, which also badly needs an alignment, but also has a bad relay on one channel. I suppose if I ever sell the 38, I can add the tape to it and ask for more.

Back