Akai MG1212 Story...

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Well, I'm in usual form with this Story having its origins in another thread...so to get the back-story go here first:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/analog-recording-and-mixing-tape-and-gear/your-input-please-392476/

I picked up a pair of Akai MG1212 mixer/multitrack recorder combo units this eve that I bought a couple weeks ago for $200 for the pair, including one used MK20J cassette, and a small bonus I wasn't expecting...more on that below.

When I showed up to the seller's place he had both units powered and had some audio running through them as though I'd want to check them out before deciding if I wanted to take them...odd, since I'd already paid for them, but really considerate of him nonetheless. I didn't really need to take them for a spin...was honestly more interested in getting my loot loaded and getting on down the road...but it was an unexpected surprise to see them powered up. I must say these are really beautiful looking machines. And they are way bigger than any pictures really show. Between the size and the aesthetic they really have a presence.

Anyway, got them loaded, transported, unloaded and tucked away in the shop in a good spot for now. I'm honestly not sure what the future holds for these, but I suspect one will become a mechanical/cosmetic/electronic parts donor to the other to make one good looking and running unit. And I expect this is going to take a good long while if I really do end up digging into them what with other projects and priorities, but for now they are on the project list.

To summarize what an MG1212 is, it is a 12x2 mixer paired with a 12-track analog multitrack tape recorder/reproducer. The mixer features 3-band peak filter sweep EQ, 1 stereo AUX buss and 1 mono AUX buss, and a stereo monitor buss, and some inline monitoring features. The 12-track recorder is actually 14 tracks (12 audio, 1 auto-locator control track, and 1 sync track) on 1/2" tape housed in a proprietary MK20J cassette originally derived from the Sony Betamax format. Onboard noise reduction is dbx Type I, and the record/play headstack is of the proprietary Akai crystal ferrite Super GX type. The cassettes afford 10 minutes of recording at high speed (7.5ips) and 20 minutes of recording at low speed (3.75ips). I have not found a definitive source to confirm the tape formulation, but a preponderance of sources point to the tape being similar to the Maxell EE formula tape, but possibly manufactured by TDK. The recorder specifications are impressive on paper. Real-world performance is positively supported by big name artists such as U2 and Phil Collins having used MG series recorders to record hit releases.

The transports are prone to failure, and parts and service support are essentially non-existent, as is user community support; I have my work cut out for me.

Both of these units I bought have transport problems.

That's the general overview.

I leave you with a boring picture of an MK20J cassette in its jacket:

IMG_7554.JPG

Oh! As for the small unexpected bonus, the seller gave me a pair of brand-new rubber idler tires...I think there is only one per machine. I'm sure I will want to source a new capstan belt at some point, and if possible have Terry Witt rebuild a pinch roller...but having a pair of new idler tires is a great thing...

IMG_7555.JPG

Until next time...

Feeling pretty good right about now...I recently bought 10 sealed in plastic NOS MK20J tapes for about $164 shipped. That's less than $16.50 a tape...I've been watching another auction for 11 sealed in plastic NOS tapes and cynically hoping for it to go for more than I paid so I didn't feel like I missed out on a better deal. It did. The bidding ended up at about $360 shipped for the 11 tapes. That's about double what I paid per tape. Phew!

I do like your "caution to the wind" approach. :D

I know you haven't sunk a ton of $$$ into this project...but still...knowing that the transports are wonky at the git-go, and still wanting to dive into it, is gutsy. :thumbs up:

I do like your "caution to the wind" approach. :D

I know you haven't sunk a ton of $$$ into this project...but still...knowing that the transports are wonky at the git-go, and still wanting to dive into it, is gutsy. :thumbs up:

...or stupid. I'll take either.

The reality is one is not likely to come across an Akai MG series machine for sale with a working transport these days, and particularly not for a bargain price. That's just the way it is.

And I'm just too curious.

Here they are in all their 80s glory:

IMG_7557.JPG

Here's another shot with a regular Philips cassette sitting on the control surface for scale...am I right? They are bigger than you might expect? I walked into the seller's front room where they were setup last night and it was like somebody had taken a 688 or something and put it in an enlarger...

IMG_7558.JPG

And this is interesting...nobody really talks about this factoid related to the audio record/play headstack...the manual doesn't even mention it at least not that I've yet seen...the headstack is staggered like the Yamaha and Tascam 8-track cassette headstacks. They did that with the cassette headstacks in order to increase the width of the guard band between tracks for better crosstalk performance, but the track width is over double the cassette track width...and wider than 1/4" 8-track track width, but Tascam and Fostex didn't even stagger the headstacks on their 1/4" 8-track machines and the crosstalk spec is still good...then here Akai goes and staggers their 1/2" 12-track headstack. I guess the crosstalk spec of the competition just wasn't good enough for them...neat looking stack. I'm noticing I higher grade of build quality and design already with these units than the period competition.

IMG_7559.JPG

[EDIT]

Feeling a bit daft here...that's not the audio record/playback head...that's the erase head...they're commonly staggered like that. Duh. Here's a picture of all the heads, erase on the left, then the control/sync tracks record/playback head in the middle, and finally the audio tracks record/playback head on the right. :spank:

IMG_7603.JPG

Last edited:
They were certainly a high standard of robust construction. But that begs the question; why are 90% of the transports broken???

What is it that fails? Given the quality of the materials and build, was there a design flaw? I've heard of very few still working.

My friend's transport failed after a few years and with the combination of the repair cost and the rise of computer based recording, he sold it and moved on to an Atari 1040st.

What is the weak link??

Well, I guess you'll find out, wont you.
:D

Yeah I'm not sure yet...I suspect the idler tire is responsible for a lot of the issues...it's a small cross-sectional size for the size of the tape being moved...and there's a lotta moving parts in there. And the horizontal orientation of the cassette bay, like any, would collect dirt and dust which is not as critical with a much more simple format like Philips cassette, but the Akai format loads similar to a video cassette which is complicated. So those are my preliminary uneducated suppositions.

Sweetbeats!!!! You have turned me into a curious monkey. Now I'm inquiring about the MG1212 that's not too far from me. The guy want's $600 CAD or a trade. I'm thinking about offering up one of my many bass guitars for a possible trade.
He said everything functions except there is no sound. Something about a leaky roof damaging the sound output??? :eek:
But it comes with a rolling stand a bunch of used and some new tapes.

If I get it and it's shot, then I have an under the bed boat anchor. I really don't mind. Just want something to tinker with over the winter. But the transport suposedly works. I plan on cracking that sucker open to poke around. I can take some pics and maybe videos of the innards if you need any comparisons or to see the transport in action if it does actually work.

I'll keep you all posted if I get it. And no.... I won't start a Story thread:) thats all you Sweetbeats.

Lol.

Man, I don't know if I would pay that much for one just because of the complex and finicky transport. There's a whole lotta moving parts in there. The factory stand for the MG1212 and MG1214 is pretty cool though. Anyway...would be interesting if you did get it. That would practically make you and I a "movement". :D

Here's a short YouTube video of all the stuff that moves around when ejecting or loading tape:

YouTube

Last edited:
Lol.

Man, I don't know if I would pay that much for one just because of the complex and finicky transport. There's a whole lotta moving parts in there. The factory stand for the MG1212 and MG1214 is pretty cool though. Anyway...would be interesting if you did get it. That would practically make you and I a "movement". :D

Here's a short YouTube video of all the stuff that moves around when ejecting or loading tape:

https://youtu.be/7fTXlkB19ro

No. Not paying any cash for it. The guy is really interested in a bass guitar of mine. I don't really touch it at all and I have had it up for sale forever with no bites. So it's something I won't miss.

No. Not paying any cash for it. The guy is really interested in a bass guitar of mine. I don't really touch it at all and I have had it up for sale forever with no bites. So it's something I won't miss.

Ahhhh okay.

What kind of bass guitar?

Damn. Thats like robotics.

Right??

It's like a short choreographed dance...

I'm probably just being an idealist, but I really believe with appropriate cleaning, inspection, adjustment, and replacement of pertinent rubber components, the transport would work fine.

Damn. Thats like robotics.
Heh. Take a look at an M-wrap or Omega-wrap VCR sometime. This is comparatively simple.
A Baird VHS deck I had in the 1990s had a gear with a groove cut into the bottom with an eccentric path in it. This controlled a lot of the load/unload process mechanically. It was pretty mind-boggling stuff, that someone had designed all this.

Ahhhh okay.

What kind of bass guitar?

It's a custom bass that I had made for me a while ago. It's just a Jazz bass clone. It's real nice, but I just don't play that one at all anymore. I have 15 bass guitars so I won't really miss that one if the deal goes through.

Back