Advice needed: Otari MX5050 MkIII8 - worth fixing up?

Hammerstone

Out of style
Hey guys, give me your opinions here. I've been sitting on this machine for more than three years now (hard to believe), still don't know if it's worth it to me to hang onto it. I got it for cheap from a guy who said it belonged to a friend of his, evidently his friend had been a musician but had health problems and had all his equipment stored in a barn for the better part of a decade until he passed away.

DSCF0027.JPG

It's pretty rough on the outside, has some sort of corrosion on a few of the metal parts, and a few other problems. The buttons for the auto locator stick, as does the pitch control knob, the tension arms are corroded, and the pinch roller will have to be replaced. At least the heads don't look too bad to me, but tell me what you think:

DSCF0025.JPG
DSCF0024.JPG

(that green stuff between the tracks came right off with some 91% alcohol, was gonna take another couple pics but the batteries died)

I've also never peeked inside before today, I was scared that it would just be a mess, but it seems relatively clean, there is (again) some corrosion on some of the metal bracing that I can see, but from what I can tell the insides look more like they could use a good cleaning at the worst.

DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0037.JPG

Sorry there aren't more pictures of the insides, again, the camera's batteries ran out and I don't have any spares unfortunately. Also, some of the screws on the top plate are corroded and extremely soft, I stripped them almost immediately, so they'll have to be drilled.

It's taken 3.5 years and an impending move to make me wonder if it's worth it for me to cart around a (currently) dead piece of equipment for another year or two trying to fix it up, or if I should try to make some money parting it out.

First question is, is it safe to power it up, or should I wait until I can take it apart more and give it a good cleaning?

Second question, from what you guys have seen so far and what I've told you, do you think it's repairable, or should I start breaking it down and selling it off? (In which case, is anyone interested in 8-track Otari 5050 parts? Or a whole parts machine?)

Tell me what you guys think.

Wow, what a shame. The barn took its toll on that thing, or more rightly the moisture in the barn. The green, the corrosion and the paint loss are all indicative of high humidity or maybe even being under water.

That being said, how handy are you. Do you have technician skills. I'm willing to bet that the machine could be brought back form the dead. But if that meant paying a technician to do it, its not worth it. To do that thing justice it will need a major disassembly, stripping of paint and corrosion, polishing and painting and re-assembly. Then it will be time to dig into the electronics. If you have these skills it could be a rewarding experience.

I had an MX5050 that I just pitched to the landfill a couple months ago. It wasnt as bad as yours, but I estimated it would take me 100 hours to go through it If my time was worth 5 lousy bucks an hour, I'd be into it for 500 dollars plus parts and supplies. Just didnt add up.

Let us know if you decide to tackle it!

*edit: From what I can see of the tape guides and the heads it doesnt look to have a million miles on it. Is there wear on the guide where they may have been rotated in the past to get to a virgin area?

Just for fun, I'd plug it in to see what happens. The power supply is fused so if anything is shorted out, it should hopefully pop the fuse before flames start shooting out of it! :D

To be honest though, it looks like more then 100 hours to really get that beast back in fighting shape. And that's assuming you know what you're doing.

Shame to see any machine of that ilk being subjected to such neglect though because they aren't building any more of them.

Cheers! :)

Well, now I know! Thanks for responding, guys.

I'll admit, I was hoping all I'd need to do is clean it up a bit and drop in a few replacement parts. I certainly don't care how much the looks suffer from its ordeal, but you guys are probably right, it's gonna take a lot of work. I just wish I could pass it off to someone who could restore the thing to working condition, but odds are... The thing is, after I bought this, I decided I was putting too much energy into buying broken equipment for bargain prices when I should just save my time to actually do music. Since then I've repaired what could be repaired and have been on the lookout for the right (working) multitrack machine to upgrade to from my portastudio.

So I plugged it in, the house didn't burn down and even the fuse didn't pop. All the bulbs still work on the VUs which was nice to see. I tested the transport and it's a bit strange: the FF button actually rewinds, the RW button fast-forwards, and the Play button seems to activate both FF&RW at the same time, which I assume would break the tape. That's probably even more hours there, that I don't want to deal with. At this point, I'd say it's a lost cause and I'll salvage whatever parts are worth selling, unless there's someone out there aching to restore an 8-track Otari and wants to get rid of a lesser machine that actually works. Unlikely...

Mdain, I did check the tension arm guides and I think they have been rotated, but the worn part isn't that noticeable. I figure I'll send the headstack to JRF for a report, see what they say, but if I'm right, I should more than double my money just selling the headstack on evilbay.

If it powered up will all the lights on and transport offering movement, maybe its not as far gone as the cosmetics would indicate! The head wear looks minimal. So don't waste money sending them off to JRF for a report. I'd also suggest not parting it out and just give the cosmetics a clean up and invest in a new pinch roller, as the rubber appears heavily deteriorated. Also, I'm not sure about the reverse reel motor issue. Maybe try it with a reel of tape loaded, (once the tape path has been completely cleaned) and then re-test the transport functions. You may find it works normally.

If it powered up will all the lights on and transport offering movement, maybe its not as far gone as the cosmetics would indicate! The head wear looks minimal. So don't waste money sending them off to JRF for a report. I'd also suggest not parting it out and just give the cosmetics a clean up and invest in a new pinch roller, as the rubber appears heavily deteriorated. Also, I'm not sure about the reverse reel motor issue. Maybe try it with a reel of tape loaded, (once the tape path has been completely cleaned) and then re-test the transport functions. You may find it works normally.

...just when I thought I could be rid of it... :D

OK, questions:

I couldn't find it on their website, but I thought I'd read a few places that you could send your heads off to JRF and they would tell you how much life was left, either for free or for a small fee. It seems like it would still be a good idea.

I'd like to know more about the reel motor issue, if it is in fact an issue. Having the reels spinning in opposite directions seems like it would be an issue. It seems like this is the deciding factor: if this is too complicated/too long a repair, it's probably not worth it for me, and I don't want to buy a 1/2" tape reel (and takeup reel) plus a new pinch roller, merely to find out that the motors are going to be more than I can handle.

To do that thing justice it will need a major disassembly, stripping of paint and corrosion, polishing and painting and re-assembly. Then it will be time to dig into the electronics.

How much of the stripping paint/corrosion and repolishing/repainting is for cosmetic reasons? I give precisely zero f*cks what it looks like, as long as it runs the way it should.

It's just that I don't want to put *too* much time into getting it to run if I can make enough money parting it out and put it toward something that does run already. I didn't have the cash at the time, but recently a guy near me was selling a TSR8 for $300, made me bummed I couldn't buy it, etc etc.

Sounds to me like its more a keeper rather than a part out.
sweetbeats would have had that pristine in a couple of days.
;-)

The reels spinning the wrong way in the play mode it because they are creating back tension to prevent any slack. Every Tascam reel to reel I've owned behaves in the exact same way but you'd need to have a tape loaded to see that is working as it should, which I'm confident your machine will. About the reel motors going the wrong way in a fast wind mode, that too may be part of the logic system of the deck to keep the tape slack in check.

But if you won't purchase a tape and take up reel to know for sure, I'm not sure what else there is to say.

If I were you, you don't sound like someone who's going to be able to put the time in or have the experience to get this thing back into shape (sorry if that sounds too honest).
I'd get hold of a reel of tape, make a video and shove it on Ebay.
Al

If I were you, you don't sound like someone who's going to be able to put the time in or have the experience to get this thing back into shape (sorry if that sounds too honest).
I'd get hold of a reel of tape, make a video and shove it on Ebay.
Al

That does sound like good advice, though really with the hassle it would take trying to get it boxed and shipped I'd be better off just parting it out, selling off what I can, and tossing the rest. It's a shame to do it, because from what you guys are saying, it really could be repaired. I'll be truthful, I'm not a tech. I've done a few smaller things, like changing the idler tires on my Tascam 244, but this is going to be much harder and more in-depth.

The reels spinning the wrong way in the play mode it because they are creating back tension to prevent any slack. Every Tascam reel to reel I've owned behaves in the exact same way but you'd need to have a tape loaded to see that is working as it should, which I'm confident your machine will. About the reel motors going the wrong way in a fast wind mode, that too may be part of the logic system of the deck to keep the tape slack in check.

But if you won't purchase a tape and take up reel to know for sure, I'm not sure what else there is to say.

Alright, thanks for the info. I'm just having a hard time with the choices.

I hate sitting on the fence, but I don't think I can decide until after I've moved and settled in, which could take the better part of a month. It's just that I'd be in it almost $100 in parts just to see if it's possible to get it back into running shape, with no guarantee that I'd be able to (and I won't have the spare cash to do that until next month). It makes it a hard decision, because there's probably no going back at that point.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the capstan wasn't spinning when I put it in play, dunno if it only does that after it's achieved correct tension, but I would have thought that engaging the tension arm should have started the capstan spinning. Today, things are a bit different: I can't seem to get the transport to engage. The buttons were a bit slow to engage yesterday, but today I haven't had much luck getting anything to work. I got it to play once, that's all. There was a regular clicking sound every 7 seconds or so from under the hood, like something engaging/disengaging. I manipulate the tension arm and I can see the capstan spin about 1/4 turn, but none of the buttons do anything now. :(

Aha. She initially fired up for you to give you hope, and to let you know she was worthy.

Now today she's reminding you that she has issues that need to be addressed.

Its a plea for salvation.

:-)

Yeah, youll figure out what to do.

Ha! Or a warning sign that she's temperamental and not to be trusted. If the tape machine is now a woman, she'll need a name. I'll be back when I figure out which woman I know broke my heart the worst...

Still, thanks for the encouragement ;)

Ha! Or a warning sign that she's temperamental and not to be trusted. If the tape machine is now a woman, she'll need a name. I'll be back when I figure out which woman I know broke my heart the worst...

Still, thanks for the encouragement ;)
If it gives you greif, and you're torn about getting rid of it, then without a doubt, it's a female.
I trust you'll come up with the right name for her. Haha
:-)

Seriously though, it seems like a machine worthy of getting back into service rather than parting out.

The question is if that is practical under your ownership.

You mentioned the TSR8. That's a good half inch machine and it's compact and relatively easy to get parts for.
Not like it used to be, but I ve seen parts for sale and many decks go cheap for parts machines.
In todays world the compact nature of it is a plus as well.

Seriously though, it seems like a machine worthy of getting back into service rather than parting out.

The question is if that is practical under your ownership.

You mentioned the TSR8. That's a good half inch machine and it's compact and relatively easy to get parts for.
Not like it used to be, but I ve seen parts for sale and many decks go cheap for parts machines.
In todays world the compact nature of it is a plus as well.

Yeah, would have been nice, but it always seems like these deals come around when I'm completely skint. I've seen Tascam 388s go for $350, a Tascam series 70 for $150, an Ampex AG440 full-track mono for $50 (still kicking myself on that one), a Tascam 34 for $150 that I almost bought (had some transport issues). I keep screenshots of all those craigslist ads, gives me an idea of what constitutes a good deal in my area.

A TSR8 is a machine that I would definitely buy for the right price (like $300), but what I really have my heart set on at the moment is a Tascam 238. It would really help me save money on tape stock, and I've accumulated quite a lot of cassettes for my 244 which I'm using now. Would definitely be a smaller footprint than a 1/2" 8-track (or another 1/2" 8-track).

where are the mountains you are located in?

That would be the Rocky Mts. I'm a just a bit West of Colorado Springs, gonna move into town so I can be close to college, studying music at UCCS. Anyone near enough want an Otari parts deck? Otari MX5050MkIII-8 professional tape recorder

Back