Advice Needed...

memriloc

i guys...Havn't been 'round here in ages...Good to be back...

OK, story goes:
DAW via M-Audio Delta 1010
Fostex G-16-S
Soundtracs Solitair

Daw and Solitair no problem, running at +4 but the Fostex runs at -10 only, I'd like to know if there's a way of running it at +4 so's I can change all the jumper links in my solitair back to +4...Any thoughts? I know you can get little adaptors to attenuate a +4 device down to -10 but don't know if you can do it the other way...Any help would be great...Cheers, DOM!

people use this thing ... from a well respected brand-name :D , I guess you'll need two of 'em. Personally I can't say anything about the unit 'cos never had one ..never needed one.
Maybe other guys here have better experience.

/respects

ooops
I guess this unit can be used as only 6 channels line-level (matching) amp .... so it turns out that to please all 16 channels of your Fostex you'll need three of them ... , but , wait, if you also want to have both ins/and outs to match with the rest of your +4 setup, then you'd need another three of them, working in "reverse action" :( .... that's allot of Behringer in your rack! Scary! :D :p :D )

if you have six of em', then you'll have four channels left 'unused'.... so you can get yourself some -10 level analog two-track for mixdown :).... why waste channels? ;)

silly stuff

If you know electronics, you can do what you need to do with a pile of op-amps. I still use TL071/072/074's - not as 'cool' as some of the others but they work and sound ok. Use a single op-amp as a differential amp and gain less than unity to go from +4 balanced to -10 unbalanced (nicer than a pad, but you could go the pad way as well); use a dual op-amp, one side wired inverting with some gain, the other inverting with unity gain and take the outputs to be hot (the side with unity gain) and return (the other one) to your XLR. Add appropriate resistors and caps. You'll need 16x TL071's and 16x TL072's (or you could use 12x TL074's but I'd prefer different chips for each channel).

There are, of course, a huge number of nice tidy rackmount boxes that do this - there was a thread a while ago with a range of these, where A Reel Person quite rightly pointed out that not everyone has the time, skills or inclination to make their own gear!

Cya
Andrew

Back